Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jplay and JRiver
I have been using JRiver on my PC (Win7) to stream via AIR to my Devialet 200. I am generally pleased with the results, though I do get the occasional white noise discussed elsewhere and, from time to time, the streaming just stops for some reason.

Today, however, I would like to pose a few questions regarding JPlay. I read a recent review that suggested that JPlay introduced significant sonic improvements as an add-on to JRiver. (JRiver, by the way, claims JPlay is a "hoax.") So instead of JRiver using the Devialet AIR (Wasapi) engine, it would use the JPlay engine, which in its set up is linked with Devialet AIR.

Questions:
1) Has anyone used JPLay in conjunction with JRiver for Devialet AIR and found it useful, i.e., better SQ?
2) Or, does the AIR application not require fancy algorithms from JPLay, since it does its own magic with the bit-perfect stream?

One final note: I have been using Fidelify as a Spotify client, and it can use either the JRiver engine or JPlay engine, so whatever advice I receive will influence my selection.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Hi Flashman,

JRiver's defamatory claims have nothing to do with reality. They just can't accept the fact that software has an effect on sound quality. Many independent audiophile magazine wrote that jplay offers an improvement over jriver. Best to download free trial and check for yourself.

Best regards,
Marcin
And in the interest of transparancy Marcin_gps is founder/author of the JPlay software if I'm not mistaken. Smile

I have no experience yet with JPlay but will try it out sometime in the future. Also there are already two running threads in this forum on JPlay! Wink

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-JRiver-and-JPlay
http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Jplay
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(19-Sep-2014, 20:05)Antoine Wrote: And in the interest of transparancy Marcin_gps is founder/author of the JPlay software if I'm not mistaken. Smile

Is that right? If so, the fact he didn't feel the need to tell us says quite a lot IMO.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Unless someone else uses this same forum nickname he uses on different forums he is. Smile But of course he'd have to confirm this himself.

If he is the JPlay author this could be a great opportunity for us to ask some questions and for him to answer to those questions. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(20-Sep-2014, 12:28)Antoine Wrote: Unless someone else uses this same forum nickname he uses on different forums he is. Smile But of course he'd have to confirm this himself.

If he is the JPlay author this could be a great opportunity for us to ask some questions and for him to answer to those questions. Smile

I downloaded the trial and liked what I heard. So I purchased JPlay. Seems to make a difference. I tried it with Fidelify (Spotify client) for about 5 hours straight today and had no white noise or dropouts. First time that happened! Now I need to see whether I can get the same result with JRiver (using the JPlay engine). As JRiver has my high-res stuff, that will be a nice test!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I've tried JPlay with JRiver/AIR & I have to admit I couldn't spot much of a difference myself. Possibly a small improvement.
Actually I think the streaming function on devialet is a failure. there is always some noise,you cannot avoid it
(28-Sep-2014, 06:35)xy1689 Wrote: Actually I think the streaming function on devialet is a failure. there is always some noise,you cannot avoid it

I prefer to think of the streaming as a work in progress. There are times when it works flawlessly. There are other times where I get the dreaded "white noise." To be sure, it's not up to the quality level of the other parts of the Devialet. I eagerly await the next firmware update on AIR to see how it might get better.
(28-Sep-2014, 07:36)Flashman Wrote:
(28-Sep-2014, 06:35)xy1689 Wrote: Actually I think the streaming function on devialet is a failure. there is always some noise,you cannot avoid it

I prefer to think of the streaming as a work in progress. There are times when it works flawlessly. There are other times where I get the dreaded "white noise." To be sure, it's not up to the quality level of the other parts of the Devialet. I eagerly await the next firmware update on AIR to see how it might get better.

For sure I just want to let devialet do better.....and I also want to point out the iphone app is the worst remote app I have used.....never used a remote app have less function than real remote...