Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Phantom coming!!
Pushed the wrong button, I was going to say the same, in reality it is no more than half what they quote.
It's the height of pointlessness. I've tried my Silver Phantoms in a large space full of dancing 16-year-olds (for my daughter's birthday!), and they go ear-numbingly loud without obvious distortion.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(04-Jun-2016, 18:57)Silvertouran Wrote: Its 3000w of peak music power not continuous power. Its the sum of the 4 drive units added together. They just quote that coz it sounds better.

True, it's just marketing bull***t. I think I've read it's something like 4x175w RMS or so.

Edit:
A bit OT but could someone point me in the direction of the article where I read about the RMS figures? I can't find it and my OCD has kicked in really hard Tongue
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(04-Jun-2016, 17:45)f1eng Wrote: Does any country have mains outlets suitable for 4.5 kW?
I have lived in UK and France.
UK whilst nominally EU 230V is 240V with 13 amp maximum legal fuse size, ie ~ 3kW.
France is nominally 230V EU also, but still 220 V with iirc 15 amp outlets ie 3300 watts.

Some Boulder amplifiers have 20Amp connections....Not that I think Devialet will be going there  Huh
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Well, then my two Phantom Silver can used as surround rear Big Grin Looking forward to see them.
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
Maybe it will be a software uplift like with their expert line where the 110 became a 120 and the 170 became a 200 watt model.

Cheers,

Krisp
(04-Jun-2016, 17:45)f1eng Wrote: Does any country have mains outlets suitable for 4.5 kW?
I have lived in UK and France.
UK whilst nominally EU 230V is 240V with 13 amp maximum legal fuse size, ie ~ 3kW.
France is nominally 230V EU also, but still 220 V with iirc 15 amp outlets ie 3300 watts.

Well I guess in the UK it would be possible to use a 45 amp cooker socket - 10,800 watts
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
10,800 of [music] watts does not equate to dozens of amps; you can't use ohms law here it's not drawing 9000/240 amps from the mans, so your 15A ring main will be fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi dc chatters
The 3000w phantom is already offering a power at 105 db SPL at 1 meter, which is the maximum allowed by law in Europe. There can't be a more powerful system in night clubs for example.

Therefore, this new phantom with 50% more watts is a pure rumor in my opinion. Unless the US market allows it.

My 2 cents
Regards
François
Qobuz/Sonos/D200/GT1 SE (offered to my father, who enjoys it every day)
2 Phantom Reactor 600 and Spotify Premium
There's no law making it illegal for you to install a sound system that can produce 200dB SPL in your home you're just forbidden to produce higher SPL's in public.

In any way this is all marketing. Of course Devialet isn't specifying a continuous 4500W power output as that would indeed require 4500W of power input PLUS conversion losses. Power can't be created out of thin air. The figure must mean some peak power output for an unspecified amount of time (probably some milliseconds).

Same goes for the Experts, there's only a 600W or so PSU inside the 800 so it's not capable of sustained 800W output levels, again perhaps during a short time only using PSU/capacitor stored energy or even shorter from mains.

It's all a bit foolish though, I thought the industry had left that wattage race behind them. Not even cheap PC speakers boast idiotically high PMPO power output figures anymore like in the early nineties and switched over to the standardized RMS spec. I guess it must still win over some uneducated buyers who get easily impressed by these numbers and like to brag about it among friends at birthdays or in the pub. Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands