Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Singxer
(07-Jun-2016, 14:39)Antoine Wrote: I just wrote to Confused in response to a PM that things are going so fast, today's best may as well no longer be so tomorrow. So anyone 'investing' in this type of gear should be prepared for that. Smile

Although I agree with you I can't help myself but to point out that my Totaldac D1 server purchase over 2 years ago has worked out brilliantly. I've had free hardware upgrades, frequent software updates, and totaldac are one of the first to be Roon certified. Which of course means I'm loving Roon now. 

So I think the choice of brand is hugely important in future proofing any solution. I expect Vincent will not rest on his laurels and will keep updating his products.

That isn't to say that other cheaper products aren't catching up but at least I can remain confident in my purchase. 

I would imagine the same applies for the Vivaldi solution, although we are talking about a very different level of expenditure.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I'm waiting for the rumoured TotalDAC D1 Server V2.0 .......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(07-Jun-2016, 14:39)Antoine Wrote: I'm guessing that other Mutec owner is 'Sligolad'! Smile I've read a similar thing from his hand. The Mutec could still prove worthwile though in the next "hit product" the Focusrite Rednet series. Wink I would love these guys to test it with a microRendu though, it may be a great surprise for them.

I just wrote to Confused in response to a PM that things are going so fast, today's best may as well no longer be so tomorrow. So anyone 'investing' in this type of gear should be prepared for that. Smile

One of the few to brave void warranties..., with thanks from the rest who learn from their experience.

Given that the performance in such DDCs via SPDIF or AES/EBU are dependent (but not solely) on the clock quality, does anyone have any idea if the CRYSTEK CCHD-575/957 clocks in the Singxer are better than the 1GHz clock in the Mutec?
Some of the gear freaks have spent so much time comparing so many different combination one wonders if they have time to listen to any music!
I am retired, listen to many hours a day, often to much loved recordings of modest quality but I haven't got time to do all those comparisons.
I have had my Mutec for a while now and only get the inclination to eveluate it from time to time. It does seem to be better but "loses" the USB source from time to time.

It is much, much, less reliable than Devialet Air 2.

This thing is dead cheap and may be worth a try.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Anyone can/should choose to spend their past time the way they like. Period. Smile

Regarding your Mutec being less reliable than AIR 2: sorry, but there must be something seriously wrong in your setup (computer, USB cable or the Mutec itself may have a defect) as it should be rock solid. I've never read about any problems or it being not reliable and I read a lot. It's a pro-audio device, how could it have any value if it wasn't rock solid!? Wink]

Mine is powered on 168 hours a week and it just keeps going and going, not a single issue since I have it.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(08-Jun-2016, 17:22)Antoine Wrote: Anyone can/should choose to spend their past time the way they like. Period. Smile

Very true! The student in the next room to mine when I was at Uni (46 years ago now Sad) was a wealthy enthusiast. He had all the latest best reviewed stuff and more test records than ones to listen to.
It was a brilliant system and I went round with my LPs all the time to hear them in a quality I couldn't afford myself back then.

I am sure you are right about the Mutec but it is a pita to check out and debug. I hadn't used the USB input on the Devialet at all before. When I went to compare the two first I connected my laptop to the Devialet by USB cable and temporarily replaced my CD transport by the Mutec, using its AES cable and mains cable. I played some music from the computer and listened. Then I changed the USB cable from the Devialet to the Mutec, selected the AES input, changed the computer output from Devialet to Mutec and listened again.
After a short time the music stopped and the lock light on the Mutec had gone out. I looked on the laptop and the Mutec was no longer on the list of USB devices. I unplugged USB and reconnected and it came up again on the list of USB devices but didn't stay long. I messed about trying to find the fault but lost the will to live and went back to listening to music. That was several months ago.

I can't think of a simpler system, no network involved. I tried the USB cable which came with the Mutec which may have been OK for longer, but still wasn't reliable.
The original USB cable works fine with the Devialet without ever losing contact, but I prefer AIR.

Edit: I did have the impression that the Mutec/AES sounded nicer than USB during its sporadic functioning.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

For those who are interested, Singxer plans to introduce a DC input version of the SU-1, hopefully in July. It will be cheaper but they are not disclosing the price yet.
Came across some of the threads referenced here yesterday, not sure how I missed this one..... I might take a punt on one of these thingies. I was thinking SU-1 to save messing around with cases and rca>AES conversion, but then I note the point above about the Dc power version. Not seen that mentioned anywhere else other than on one of the non-English sites saying 'they might consider it'. Any more info nicoludio?

I could just take the easy route and go Mutec, as it's not like anyone says it's bad, but would rather not spend that much on it and just want to try and see if I get the extra bass that my brief AIR3 trial hinted was possible from the D.

Only issue with Singxer is support/updates etc. It's hard enough even working out who makes it and where the official drivers/docs are. Oh, and knowing if it works with the rendu. Seems like it should make the Intona redundant as well? In theory.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

More details about the company can be found in this link (post #13)

www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived

Leter from Singxer has informed me that the DC version is a custom unit, not an official release, which you can order directly from them. Perhaps you can write to him (leter at singxer.com) if you are keen to explore the DC version. He is quite responsive and informative compared to certain online vendors.

I will be getting my unit (silver case) from this vendor (no affiliation other than being his customer):

www.mysoundaffairs.com/products/singxer-usb-audio-bridge-su-1

I will probably be getting the DC power supply from him too.

Hope that helps.

P/S: Leter says that the SU-1 would work in Linux without drivers (including from the Melco USB output). I suppose it ought to work with the microRendu but it would be best to check with Jesus from Sonore.

I did consider the Mutec MC3+ USB but note the feedback (see post #9 in this thread) from sligolad, who I understand modified his MC3+ USB to bypass the internal power supply and preferred the Singxer F-1 with his Lampizator Big 7. Plus, the Mutec is 2.5 times the price of the SU-1.

P P/S Singxer now makes the F-1 with a rather nice casing (USB powered though, I believe) at almost half the price of the SU-1):

m.ebay.com/itm/Singxer-F-1-XMOS-USB-Digital-Interface-Module-XU208-U8-with-CNC-SHELL-all-in-one-/112062071571?nav=SEARCH

Worth a punt?
(13-Aug-2016, 17:46)nicoludio Wrote: P P/S Singxer now makes the F-1 with a rather nice casing (USB powered though, I believe) at almost half the price of the SU-1):

m.ebay.com/itm/Singxer-F-1-XMOS-USB-Digital-Interface-Module-XU208-U8-with-CNC-SHELL-all-in-one-/112062071571?nav=SEARCH

Worth a punt?

Just might be! Well, except I don't want a trail of power supplies, cables and splitters etc. I suppose I could let the rendu power it, but I guess it's gonna get pretty hot...

Thanks for all the other info too, will check it all out.

So, anyone know if using an Rca>Aes(xlr) cable would bring the same benefit as an AES-AES connection from a device that had that output (like the SU-1)? It's implied that's the case in some of the threads elsewhere, but I thought the balanced part needed xlr both end to work? Easy to source such a cable relatively cheaply in the UK?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<