Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Expert Pro sound quality
(25-Sep-2016, 10:12)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Any impressions from yesterday's listen at Oxford Audio?

Come on chaps... why the silence??  Huh

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I did 1000 Pro vs. 250 Pro vs. 250 comparison week ago. It was interesting.
(25-Sep-2016, 13:06)Waiski Wrote: I did 1000 Pro vs. 250 Pro vs. 250 comparison week ago. It was interesting.

Now THAT's a tease  Huh
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Sorry. I'll write more later today when I have time.
Some words about the test...

Loudspeakers in the test were all the time B&W 800D3. Cabling was fully Audioquest. My test started with D1000 Pro and after ~1 hour listening I changed to D250 Pro and after ~30min listening to my own D250. In the end I made few quick changes between D250 Pro and D250 to get clearer picture about the overall sound differences.

D1000 Pro: rich, colourful and full sound. Even slightly heavy bass section. I did test with and without SAM. SAM made bass slightly better defined but not much.
D250 Pro: more solid and tight sound but otherwise quite same as D1000 Pro. Maybe D1000 Pro had more "everything", more richer & full-bodied sound but D1000 Pro's bass section was not as good as D250 Pro's and that was really weird. Only explanation I can find to explain the bass difference is the link cable between two units. I didn't test different cables but that would be interesting to test when I have possibility to test D1000 Pro next time (at home). 
D250: the difference between D250 Pro and D250 is clear but not groundbreaking. Pro makes everything with more rich colours and gives you better feeling into the music. D250 is more clinical and more straight forward going. I'm happy to notice that even D250 Pro is clearly better amp the "old" D250  doesn't sound bad at all after D250 Pro.

Summary: I will send my D250 to upgrading. But do I want to upgrade to D1000... I need to do the home test before answering into that question.
(25-Sep-2016, 15:50)Waiski Wrote: Some words about the test...

Loudspeakers in the test were all the time B&W 800D3. Cabling was fully Audioquest. My test started with D1000 Pro and after ~1 hour listening I changed to D250 Pro and after ~30min listening to my own D250. In the end I made few quick changes between D250 Pro and D250 to get clearer picture about the overall sound differences.

D1000 Pro: rich, colourful and full sound. Even slightly heavy bass section. I did test with and without SAM. SAM made bass slightly better defined but not much.
D250 Pro: more solid and tight sound but otherwise quite same as D1000 Pro. Maybe D1000 Pro had more "everything", more richer & full-bodied sound but D1000 Pro's bass section was not as good as D250 Pro's and that was really weird. Only explanation I can find to explain the bass difference is the link cable between two units. I didn't test different cables but that would be interesting to test when I have possibility to test D1000 Pro next time (at home). 
D250: the difference between D250 Pro and D250 is clear but not groundbreaking. Pro makes everything with more rich colours and gives you better feeling into the music. D250 is more clinical and more straight forward going. I'm happy to notice that even D250 Pro is clearly better amp the "old" D250  doesn't sound bad at all after D250 Pro.

Summary: I will send my D250 to upgrading. But do I want to upgrade to D1000... I need to do the home test before answering into that question.

Thanks much Waiski
finally some meaningful descriptions Smile

Did you run 10.0.2 on the "old" 250 too?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Some interesting observations Waiski. What source did you use for the test?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(25-Sep-2016, 17:06)ogs Wrote: Thanks much Waiski
finally some meaningful descriptions Smile

Did you run 10.0.2 on the "old" 250 too?

All units did use 10.0.2.
Only thing was changed was D1000 Pro --> D250 Pro --> D250.
(25-Sep-2016, 17:11)Confused Wrote: Some interesting observations Waiski.  What source did you use for the test?

It was Oppo 103D. Signal was moved to Devialet via optical cable. Not the best source but it was the same all the test.
At home I use AIR3 via ethernet.
Tease over...thank the Lord! Wink
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.