Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweaks and Zero Upgrade
Now that Devialet has announced the upcoming "Zero" upgrade program, I am wondering how Devialet will react to owner initiated hardware tweaks such as PEMectomies.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
There is potentially a looming problem here for those of us that have performed internal modifications when units are returned to base for the "Zero" hardware up-grade.

What will be Devialet's attitude towards these modifications?

Will they still allow such units to be up-graded?

When D-P's were up-graded to D250 a new 5 year warranty was issued. I presume that something similar will occur this time around. But will owner modified units be given any warranty?
In general, tweaking a product voids the warranty...

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
(21-Jun-2016, 13:23)gray Wrote: Now that Devialet has announced the upcoming "Zero" upgrade program, I am wondering how Devialet will react to owner initiated hardware tweaks such as PEMectomies.

If You did it wright, all tweaks are reversible. No one can notice that. The problem is only with German Alphacool Eisschicht (Ice Cap) Thermal Pads. They are 17x better than original pads, but they are dark gray not blue.  Big Grin
Regards, Hrky
Although we still haven't confirmed what the upgrade is, if it is a complete replacement of the internals then you should be ok i'd think.
Unlike many, most or even 'all' here who've done modifications I approached my modifications with an eye towards 'honesty is the best policy.' Insisting on a hands-on presentation to both US Dealer and Canadian Importer at a personal meeting at RMAF last year. Additionally I have plans to do a repeat presentation to both dealer/importer at RMAF this year in an effort to drive home both the SQ improvement over last year as well as the ability to do the modification without compromise in longevity or reliability. And of all the D200 modifications I've read about here, mine remains the single most extensively modified to-date. While I can't know how any Devialet upgrade may be considered by my dealer/importer I'm going with the logical anticipation that the full factory warranty assured me by both dealer/importer upon original inspection also assures me that I'm qualified for said upgrade, if I choose, at the same cost as anyone with a non-modified unit. While I can't guarantee that to be the case in this instance its my personal belief that any omission or straying from that fact would necessarily be perceived as not honoring the full factory warranty proffered me at RMAF last year in direct contradiction to their claim.

All of this may be much adieu about nothing since I'm not convinced Devialet can or will do with some vague/ambiguous modification better than I did for myself almost a year ago. Perhaps it might be better said "Devialet undo" my previous tweaks. My 200 is simply too good as-is and while I realize any warranty would likely begin anew with such modification I remain unconvinced it would definitely improve appreciably. And horizontal enhancement isn't high on my to-do list. Would definitely take a L-O-T of high falutin' wailings from some very serious, trusted people to make me reconsider the promise of enhanced SQ. Not of an outta-the-box 200 but of my personal 200! Anything less would be summarily dismissed by me as risk or folly.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(22-Jun-2016, 17:23)Manoet Wrote: Unlike many, most or even 'all' here who've done modifications I approached my modifications with an eye towards 'honesty is the best policy.' Insisting on a hands-on presentation to both US Dealer and Canadian Importer at a personal meeting at RMAF last year. Additionally I have plans to do a repeat presentation to both dealer/importer at RMAF this year in an effort to drive home both the SQ improvement over last year as well as the ability to do the modification without compromise in longevity or reliability. And of all the D200 modifications I've read about here, mine remains the single most extensively modified to-date. While I can't know how any Devialet upgrade may be considered by my dealer/importer I'm going with the logical anticipation that the full factory warranty assured me by both dealer/importer upon original inspection also assures me that I'm qualified for said upgrade, if I choose, at the same cost as anyone with a non-modified unit. While I can't guarantee that to be the case in this instance its my personal belief that any omission or straying from that fact would necessarily be perceived as not honoring the full factory warranty proffered me at RMAF last year in direct contradiction to their claim.

All of this may be much adieu about nothing since I'm not convinced Devialet can or will do with some vague/ambiguous modification better than I did for myself almost a year ago. Perhaps it might be better said "Devialet undo" my previous tweaks. My 200 is simply too good as-is and while I realize any warranty would likely begin anew with such modification I remain unconvinced it would definitely improve appreciably. And horizontal enhancement isn't high on my to-do list.  Would definitely take a L-O-T of high falutin' wailings from some very serious, trusted people to make me reconsider the promise of enhanced SQ. Not of an outta-the-box 200 but of my personal 200! Anything less would be summarily dismissed by me as risk or folly.

I'd be very interested once the new unit/upgrade is out to know if any of your upgrades/tweaks were used in the new series.

It seems like you did all the ground work for the Devialet engineers! Wonder if they took notice..
Manoet,

You are the champion of internal mods and have been an inspiration for many others.
Should you decide to go with the Zero upgrade I sincerely hope that Devialet do the right thing by you.
I also hope that Devialet have taken note of your work and, in particular, it would be wonderful to see the new upgrade be PEM free.

Thank you for all your most interesting posts.