Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES
I don't have a TT nor am I ripping LPs so my advice is very theoretical, but yes if I were you I would try to isolate the step that is causing problem.
So recording in Audacity is a good option. I would also recommend trying to play back directly the raw wave file without any treatment. Then to compress it in flac and play it again.

If the sound it good for both, then the culprit is likely your declicking software.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
good advices Jean-Marie. I will record several tracks in different mode and make no treatment.
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
I've used Vinyl Studio to rip several hundred LPs and have found it to work very well.  On the face of it, your set-up looks fine and it should produce good results.

Have you played around with different settings for the de-clicker?  It can be quite aggressive but it is also quite flexible so with some experimentation you can get a good compromise between click removal and affecting other aspects of the recording.  If all else fails, it might be a good idea to contact Paul at AlpineSoft and ask for his advice - in my experience he is very responsive and keen to help.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I just let the default settings.

Sensitivity 3
Percussion protection 2

I am recording 2 songs, one with vinyl studio and one with audacity without declicking. Untouched files.
Will give my results
wow with Audacity it is cristal clear and as good as original LP
with Vinyl Studio it is totally muddy and bassy.

I use RIAA curve in vinyl studio
Surely you shouldn't be doing any RIAA correction in Vinyl Studio, as it will have been done already by the Devialet's phono stage!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Ian raises a good point about not using RIAA correction.

I have used Vinyl Studio with very sound results (no pun intended and note  and I have not used it with my Devialet as I am without TT at the moment).

I used it with my previous setup:

TT -> preamp (with phono stage) ->Mac

No RIAA correction enabled.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Yes I think Thumb got the culprit. You get a dual RIAA correction which is therefore boosting the pass and producing the mudiness.

Deactivate it in the software and that should sound perfect.

By the way, and as an aside, I hope you are enjoying the combination of AperturA and Devialet as much as I do.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
guys I tried without RIAA with custom settings (meaning nothing in fact as I did not touch anything else in settings). The sound is a bit better but not as clear as the Audacity recording. Something goes still wrong...

EDIT !! yes the RIAA reminded ON. So i found the way to switch it off and it works now. thanks !!

Jean-Marie yes the Apertura sound refined with D. The 400 is great for the Onira which are quite big.
Although stance for these speakers are a bit difficult to get a perfect stereo image.