Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 1000 Pro
(23-Jun-2016, 20:17)Confused Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 20:02)IanG-UK Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 19:30)GuillaumeB Wrote: 2.5kg seems like a pretty thick plate to me.

Guillaume

The density of copper is 9g/cm cubed so if the copper plate covered the whole of the Expert (top) surface (40cm x 40cm) it would be 1/6th of a centimeter thick. The base is, I guess, 30cm x 36cm so that makes it 1/4 cm thick or 1/10th inch thick.

Ha!  You beat me to it.  I have just performed a quick calculation, I came up with 2.1mm, so we're in the same ball park.

Oh, and going back to the copper plated issue for the O d'A, copper plating 2mm thick plate would cost more that solid 2mm copper plate.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Jun-2016, 12:05)Antoine Wrote: Big Grin  The Google webcache still works: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=nl

Ah! now we are starting to see some of the sub-bullets appear!
And it's not the end of it yet...

(Amazing to see that the JavaScript works even from the cache.)
(24-Jun-2016, 13:16)arcam Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 12:05)Antoine Wrote: Big Grin  The Google webcache still works: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=nl

Do you think they are tiggling with us, pushing the content and then pulling it back just so that we catch a glimpse of it and raise our expectations even higher?
I wonder what a single version of this would be? If the 250 becomes 800 in dual mono, then possibly 300-350 for the new single version. The pictured unit has the cabinet from OdA/250/D-Premier... has anyone heard rumours?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(23-Jun-2016, 11:33)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 11:16)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Jun-2016, 10:53)nicoludio Wrote: and a new 2.5kg bottom plate made of 100% pure copper.

That's very interesting! According to Devialet's press release for the O d'A the bottom plate of the O d'A is copper coated...

Guillaume

I can't see why they wouldn't make it out of solid copper. It's not like copper is a tenfold more expensive. Copper coating might be even more expensive to produce because of the extra work involved. Which makes you think why a copper coating.

Any ideas anyone?

Hi. Copper has a much higher thermal conductivity than stainless steel or carbon steel, so cooling is more efficient. Copper plating does not improve heat dissipation.

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk
Pim is saying 'it's not like copper is tenfold more expensive'. Well, that depends what you are comparing to! At the moment copper is actually little over 10 times the cost of carbon steel, and maybe 3 times the cost of aluminium. Anyway Pim is absolutely right, once you start looking at the cost of copper plating, quite simply solid copper becomes the more cost effective solution.

Buying in bulk, the copper bases are going to cost maybe 50 to 100 euros, a plated item would probably cost more and as mentioned above, copper plated steel will not have the thermal conductivity of solid copper. I am absolutely sure that this 'copper coated' phrase as used by Devialet is nothing more than a small issue with translation.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Wouldn't solid copper be much too soft? So probably an alloy?
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(25-Jun-2016, 13:38)iamwappie Wrote: Wouldn't solid copper be much too soft? So probably an alloy?

That would depend on whether it was annealed or not. Non annealed copper is hard but comparatively brittle.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
According to August's Hi Fi News &Record Review, the Expert 100 Pro will have white power buttons (whoopee), a 4kW (peak) switch mode power supply, will be finished in black chrome, and the price is anticipated to be £22,900.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(27-Jun-2016, 11:34)Axel Wrote: According to August's Hi Fi News &Record Review, the Expert 100 Pro will have white power buttons (whoopee), a 4kW (peak) switch mode power supply, will be finished in black chrome, and the price is anticipated to be £22,900.

That's quite a price hike over the 800 (£17,970) +27%.

My view is the Le 120 and Le 200 both offer exceptional value for money at current prices. If a similar % rise is applied across the range these 'entry level' models will be significantly less attractive and I think its very likely that sales will be badly affected.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)