Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantom's Toslink is not ready for live musical instruments
I'd like this somehow too. These speakers would be amazing for DJing, but are useless for that purpose with the lag. If I move the platter and have even 10ms of delay it's impossible to play.
(05-Jul-2016, 22:50)Geo Wrote:
(04-Jul-2016, 08:00)ogs Wrote: Delayed fingers... that's a thought! Big Grin
Considering the fact that Devialet has a rather long list of unfixed issues related to both Phantom and Expert I doubt your idea of a "direct in" would have a chance. The only way to find out is to ask them directly...

EDIT sorry, I see from your first post you have already contacted Devialet about this..

Yes, a mind twisting thought indeed Big Grin

I've contacted Devialet support again with a feature request for a software-side "direct in" switch (pointing to this thread). She said she'd forward the feedback to the engineers in charge of development.

There seems to be a development here. Devialet may have given in to pressure and made  a 'amplitude only' firmware for Phantoms. Look in this thread: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3388
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Surely latency is inevitable with DSP? The length of time the DSP takes to compute the SAM frequency and phase response for the bass and mid units is the minimum delay possible. Whether this is short enough to be ignored?????
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(29-Aug-2016, 12:29)f1eng Wrote: Surely latency is inevitable with DSP? The length of time the DSP takes to compute the SAM frequency and phase response for the bass and mid units is the minimum delay possible. Whether this is short enough to be ignored?????

I have not seen a latency value for the special firmware the Devialet rep talks about. Devialet says SAM has no latency, but I agree there must be some delay even if they disable the time correction. We shall see...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(29-Aug-2016, 11:40)ogs Wrote:
(05-Jul-2016, 22:50)Geo Wrote:
(04-Jul-2016, 08:00)ogs Wrote: Delayed fingers... that's a thought! Big Grin
Considering the fact that Devialet has a rather long list of unfixed issues related to both Phantom and Expert I doubt your idea of a "direct in" would have a chance. The only way to find out is to ask them directly...

EDIT sorry, I see from your first post you have already contacted Devialet about this..

Yes, a mind twisting thought indeed Big Grin

I've contacted Devialet support again with a feature request for a software-side "direct in" switch (pointing to this thread). She said she'd forward the feedback to the engineers in charge of development.

There seems to be a development here. Devialet may have given in to pressure and made  a 'amplitude only' firmware for Phantoms. Look in this thread: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3388
The customer support told me about this kind of setting like 5 months ago.
(29-Aug-2016, 14:16)Diplofan9 Wrote:
(29-Aug-2016, 11:40)ogs Wrote:
(05-Jul-2016, 22:50)Geo Wrote: Yes, a mind twisting thought indeed Big Grin

Any description on how to perform the flash programming? Will Phantoms have to go back to Paris?
Devialetless!
(29-Aug-2016, 14:36)ogs Wrote:
(29-Aug-2016, 14:16)Diplofan9 Wrote:
(29-Aug-2016, 11:40)ogs Wrote: There seems to be a development here. Devialet may have given in to pressure and made  a 'amplitude only' firmware for Phantoms. Look in this thread: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3388

Any description on how to perform the flash programming? Will Phantoms have to go back to Paris?

I don't know; they offered the option before purchasing (again) the Phantom. As far as I know it's not possible to perform the flash programming by ourselves.
(29-Aug-2016, 15:14)Diplofan9 Wrote:
(29-Aug-2016, 14:36)ogs Wrote:
(29-Aug-2016, 14:16)Diplofan9 Wrote: The customer support told me about this kind of setting like 5 months ago.

I don't know; they offered the option before purchasing (again) the Phantom. As far as I know it's not possible to perform the flash programming by ourselves.

I see. The response from Devialet support http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...0#pid48200 makes it clear that this is not a service they provide to "normal" customers. Only "professional" customers (DJs and musicians who need low latency)  and probably only when placing new orders. Anyway, units will most likely have to be flashed with the special firmware at the factory in France.
Devialetless!
Hi all,
asked a week ago if the gold phantom is any faster than the silver and white ones. For now Customer Service told me that the latency is 80ms (which we are all familiar with I guess). However, Customer Service also told that the coming months of R&D will get the latency to 20ms or less for the white, silver and gold phantoms!

Sounds promising to me.

"Hello Jesper,

The latency is 80 ms and dropping. As you know we are trying to enhance our home theater integration with Phantom. The ms will drop and few more months of R&D will procure that change.

Currently it's 80ms delay.

Future: 20ms or less  

These hopeful benchmarks will be reached in the near future for White, Silver, and Gold Phantoms.

Thank you.
Best Regards,"

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/requests/46892