Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Airplay for Phantom
I was about to sell my two Phantom Silver + Dialog and buy the new Phantom Gold + AirPlay Dialog, but I think I will wait a couple of years and see if anything new is coming from Devialet. I think I will try to sell my Dialog and buy the new one with AirPlay, så everything can goes wireless.
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
There is no Airplay on my gold yet.
this is a joke, my main concern when I bought them was that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that would become obsolete in a matter of months...the main selling point from the guys at the official shop when I bought them was that they were going to be upgradable via software and that they were going to add extra connectivity options plus the surround capability as a new release of the firmware. Airplay can be supported via software, they should have really planned this better if the on-board chip on the current dialog is not capable of supporting it.

Why on earth would I buy a black box that become obsolete after 6 months otherwise?

I'm furious, yes...
think about sonos, they add functionality but you don't need to do anything
Why is it obsolete? You bought it without AirPlay and no specific promise of AirPlay? It still does everything it used to do right?

In my opinion hifi is famous for always bringing out v2,v3,v4 hardware - and often with no real improvements, just to justify a price increase sometimes.

This is no different? Annoying yes if you just bought the last model they release a new one, but I guess there has to be a cut off - they can't stop selling the current model while they are developing the new one?

Now if they updated the speakers so that the dialogue no longer worked - then it would be obsolete.

My pennies worth
I sent my faulty Dialog back to Devialet nearly three weeks ago, when they announced the Airplay model I asked if I would be getting that one back as a replacement but they said no. Apparently my replacement was factory picked before Dec 2nd so I missed the changeover point by a few days.
I am still waiting for it and customer services are not much help.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
I see where you are coming from Jamington2004, but the sales guys at the main devialet shop need to be instructed not to sell the dialog for something that it isn't. I was clearly told that lots of extra connectivity options / functionalities were going to be added to the existing dialog and that it was all going to be done as a software update.

That's it, and that's why I'm not happy
Fair point - although they have added extra options like Spotify Connect, Internet Radio etc since I bought mine right at the beginning.

If bought recently I can see how that would be annoying if the first extra option wasn't added as promised Smile
(08-Dec-2016, 11:02)JimmyJ Wrote: this is a joke, my main concern when I bought them was that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that would become obsolete in a matter of months...the main selling point from the guys at the official shop when I bought them was that they were going to be upgradable via software and that they were going to add extra connectivity options plus the surround capability as a new release of the firmware. Airplay can be supported via software, they should have really planned this better if the on-board chip on the current dialog is not capable of supporting it.

Why on earth would I buy a black box that become obsolete after 6 months otherwise?

I'm furious, yes...  
think about sonos, they add functionality but you don't need to do anything

Yes, but the joke is that they don't support AirPlay...
Hello.
I don't understand the need of airplay, or even the use for it. I've read all this thread and still cannot understand it.
Especially, i don't understand the will to use a proprietary protocol to use a spaeker designed to be accessible by any kind of device.

For me, Airplay is the joke actually.
Got an Airport Express delivered today and am trying it out. My impression in a brief period is it's nice addition. Tidal works through iOS and Airplay, but gapless is inconsistent so Tidal through Spark is better. The big advantage is I can use the Remote app to stream gapless from my iMac to the Phantoms through Airplay. Apple Music albums are integrated as well and it's seamless. You can also do Apple Music through the Music app, but I find Remote is a better way to control my local library instead of Spark. Sound quality is good, much better than a Chromecast. I can only imagine Airplay sounds better natively through the Dialog or Gold Phantoms. Airplay is simple way to bypass Spark until it improves although Spark still sounds the best.