Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Od’A and now 1000 Pro and 120/200/400 Pro - an alternative view
Why do I have the feeling of being very blessed for owning an Od'A Big Grin
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(08-Jul-2016, 14:33)tategoi Wrote: Why do I have the feeling of being very blessed for owning an Od'A Big Grin

Because you can listen to it.
Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(08-Jul-2016, 13:21)IanG-UK Wrote: Moving forward in these circumstances, Devialet has to consider carefully how to treat Od'A owners decently, along with recent and longstanding owners of 800s, particularly if they want to convert; and how to treat brand new Devialet owners of the 1000 Pro decently too.

Well, sorry to be pessimistic, but I have to ask: exactly why do they have to do this?

Certainly it's what one would like and probably expect, but they may have business imperatives that don't include "doing the right thing" in that respect. Or even if their strategy says they should do this, they may be too disorganised to actually carry it through. Time will tell, I suppose, but based on past behaviour I'm not holding my breath.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
http://www.devialet.com/assets/V3/pdf/Ex...per-EN.pdf

For me its looks like the same as Od'A ...
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

Well there are in my perception two different things : the product and the image of the product.
What Devialet tried to achieve with the OdA is to create an image of exception. This has very little to do with the product itself and a lot with the projection of the customer into a dream, the dream to have an exceptional product.
Devialet has not failed in producing a good product ; everybody on the forum is accepting that the OdA is a very good machine and that it's a fantastic experience to listen to it.
Where Devialet has failed, is in creating this illusion of exclusivity in possessing an exceptional product. This was the marketing promise of the OdA. This has not been delivered. What is even more surprising is that Bernard Arnault, the owner of LVMH, who gave its 'quarter of nobility' to Devialet in investing substancialy into the firm, has not succeded to teach the top management of Devialet the very essence of what made Louis Vuitton a very successful brand Sad
I too have an 'alternative view' of the O'dA situation. First, I think it is important to state that I fully respect IanG's first post, very intelligent and considered, and pretty much reflective of how I think about the situation, although I am not an O'dA owner, I am mere D800 owner who did briefly think about the prospect of buying an O'dA.

Anyway, here is an alternative way of looking at this. If I had decided to go for the O'dA, there would be a process to go through. First, I would want to listen to one and perform a direct back to back comparison with my current D800, ideally having one on loan to listen to in my system at home . This would serve to get a clear idea of the sound quality improvement offered by the O'dA. Then there is a calculation, taking the cost of the O'dA, and subtracting the second hand / PX value of the existing D800, the cost to change. Then a decision, is the improvement in sound quality, to me, in my system, worth the cost to change. Basic stuff I know, but I am aware of a number current of O'dA owners who did exactly this, it was not a case of 'I must have the latest thing', it was auditioned, and the final decision considered carefully. So, you have made a decision based on sound quality vs costs, and you are happy with that decision. What happens next is you discover that due to changes in Devialet's product line, you are now going to get an upgrade, at no additional cost. So with respect of your original calculation, you are actually getting a larger sound quality improvement than you thought, for the same cost. This is a good thing, logically O'dA owners should be delighted by this. Furthermore, it is begging to look like O'dA owners might get the new (still rumoured) streaming board at no cost. (To be confirmed next week maybe) This again is a very good thing.

So it's all good! Well, no actually. Devialet have managed to offer all this and still annoy their customers, quite an achievement to be honest! As to how Devialet can offer something so good and yet still annoy the customer, well, refer to Ian's original post, it explains it well. Plus, it is not really as simple as I have written above. The fact that the O'dA was a limited edition model may have entered the decision making process. Perhaps on the emotional level, the thought of having a special limited edition model, but maybe on a hard cold logical level too. When I started to think about the prospect of getting the O'dA, I did think about the future resale value of the product. Would it's limited edition status make it some kind of future classic, sought after, and commanding a premium price many years hence? This is a logical and financial thought process, but I am guessing that through Devialet's actions many O'dA owners feel this aspect of the equation has become somewhat tarnished. Curiously, I have been wondering how all this will look in many years time, it is not inconceivable that the O'dA will become an absolute future classic because of all this, sometime it is about the story just as much as the product. Time will tell!

Although whatever I write, and indeed whatever I seam to read about things Devialet, it is always the same thing. Fantastic products, terrible communication, and lets not mention the advertising. I think for me this is what makes Devialet so frustrating. I have bought many things in my time where I have been in some way frustrated by the company involved. My response has been simple, I stop dealing with that company. In may ways, that is how I feel about Devialet, the issues with AIR, the apparent arrogance we have seen recently, the shocking bad communication, my base response is simple, stop buying Devialet products, do not give them money for upgrades. Currently, when I think this through, I have come to the conclusion that I should stick with my D800, it sounds great, I am happy with it. Devialet should not get any more cash from me. This is how the free market economy works, a company offers bad service, the customers go away, the company goes bust. Companies offering good service survive. The trouble is, Devialet keep dishing out products that sound so good it's hard to look elsewhere. Damn them!

On a final note, tategoi's earlier post struck me; 'Why do I have the feeling of being very blessed for owning an Od'A'. I have some free time this weekend, and to be honest, if I was firing up my O'dA now for a bit of listening, I'd feel blessed too! It would be really good. Not that I feel un-blessed as I head towards my D800 remote .......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12