Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Devialet Decimate DSD?
Does the Devialet decimate an incoming DSD signal during it's processing?  Also, after the initial conversion to PCM are DSD files converted back to DSD since the Devialet DAC is capable of native conversion of DSD?

I am thinking about purchasing a D200 and since I have a large number of DSD files, I would like to understand how they are handled by the Devialet.  I don't quite understand what this passage in their white paper means:

MAT DSD Core technology converts the DSD format into Expert internal native PCM 40 bits / 384 kHz format thanks to an optimized algorithm, limiting the amount of computational operations on the audio stream. Using only 15 bit perfect additions (no multiplication, no storage), the MAT algorithm performs a 128 taps, linear phase FIR (Finite Impulse Response) digital filter ensuring the conversion of the DSD format into internal native PCM format with truly outstanding performances.
I do not have much DSD format music. However, I do have some experience of feeding a Devialet DSD. This was during a demonstration of a D800 being fed by a dCS Vivaldi upsampler. The source material was mostly redbook, but I listened to a set of tracks twice, once with the Vivaldi upsampling to DSD, the second time upsampling to PCM. The thing is that it definitely sounded better with the dCS rig outputting DSD. This is not what I expected, the Devialet ADH architecture is inherently PCM, so if you feed a Devialet DSD, the first thing it does is convert to PCM via MAT, it shouldn't sound better but somehow it does. The point is, if the DSD MAT conversion was anything other than very good indeed, the D800 would not have sounded best when fed DSD. I have to conclude that the MAT DSD conversion works superbly.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Oh, and welcome to the forum asiano, I just noticed this was your first post. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Was there not some mention of Devialet being able to do DSD128 aswell? Thougt I saw that somewere in some of the threads regarding the upgrade or some talk about the DAC but I can be wrong.

If they run 384kHz/40bit internal is it wrong to asume that the new streamerboard could do DXD aswell and perhaps higher DSD rates? Many people seem to just look at what rates the machine can do and not perhaps how it sounds with regulare material even if that is what most people play.
Adding higher rates is perhaps something that is needed to up the sales?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(23-Jul-2016, 17:42)octaviars Wrote: Was there not some mention of Devialet being able to do DSD128 aswell? Thougt I saw that somewere in some of the threads regarding the upgrade or some talk about the DAC but I can be wrong.

Correct!  This was mentioned by Mathieu Pernot at the 1000 Pro launch at Oxford Audio.  It's probably coming 'soon'.
In my opinion I feel the Devialet sounds better converting DSD internally compared to when I set Roon to do it prior for compatibility with Air 3 beta on OSX.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I appreciate the replies.

Most of my DSD albums sound better than the redbook or even hi-res PCM versions. Not sure if it is due to the mastering or the format. The DSD files seem to be warmer and better balanced than the other versions. I'm hoping that Devialet maintains that "warmth" during the conversion process.

I have Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers and currently they are being powered by an Arcam AVR850. The Arcam is doing a great job, but I'm always looking for something that may be a little better. From what I've read the Devialet seems to be a great unit and there are some good deals on the used market. For now, I can only afford the D200 after purchasing the Sopra's. I'm a little concerned that the Devialet may be bright sounding with the Sopra's - hoping that's not the case. Also, not sure if it's the best time to buy due to the forthcoming upgrades.
Dont worry about Sopras sounding bright with Devialet. My Sopras sounds simply amazing with a D400, but do consider that they really like the extra power that a 400 brings to a 200 so an upgrade path should be on your mind if you get a 200
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

The Devialet isn't bright by any means, but I'd pair Focals with something even warmer and more relaxed if I still had Focals.

Try before you buy. Devialet, maybe Mcintosh or something tube.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(23-Jul-2016, 19:31)octaviars Wrote: Dont worry about Sopras sounding bright with Devialet. My Sopras sounds simply amazing with a D400, but do consider that they really like the extra power that a 400 brings to a 200 so an upgrade path should be on your mind if you get a 200
Have you used SAM with your Sopra's? If so, did it improve the sound?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk