Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program
(25-Jul-2016, 23:20)Vivialet Wrote: At least Devialet offers an upgrade to a new model for a reasonable price. What if you have bought any other amp, be it Accuphase, McIntosh or Bryston ? They also come up with new models every few years without any upgrade option. You have so sell the old amp and buy a new one. The loss would be the same in the 200 range, much more in the 800 range. So I'm glad that we have this option and I would always buy a Devialet again.

There are a few other high end brands that do and for more affordable prices.  Ayre as one example.

I upgraded my QB9 for a little over 20% of the new price to the QB9-DSD. It received a new USB, DAC and analog section, not minor in any means.

Devialets compact design is a detriment in upgradability.  It's all or nothing from what I can tell.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I received the upgrade emails today as well. Seems to be official news that corroborates the details and numbers that have been flying around here; at least the rumours have been true! I haven't been on the forum for a few days, so I apparently missed all the action.

I won't be saying good bye to Devialet at all and I doubt, at least for the moment, that I will upgrade. Certainly one reason is cost but really, I'm still extremely happy with the D120. I don't know what the upgrade cost will be in $ CDN, but we've been pretty lucky in terms of retail prices and exchange rates. Of course, I would have dismissed the idea of a $7,000.00 amp two years ago, but hearing the Devialet changed my mind on that balance sheet. So, as thumb5 says, we don't actually know what a D220 Pro sounds like so the sonic performance is only speculative. Same thing with the performance of the other components. Perhaps I (or we) will have the same sense of revelation and the cost will seem reasonable... or justifiable.

If I don't upgrade I'll have a D120, but now/soon a superseded model. Not a big deal as I still have an amp that is amazing. Same thing with my car; the new one has a turbo as standard, but the old one isn't suddenly worse for being replaced with a newer, and apparently better model.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Damon, D120 to D220p is a very good deal. I believe Jnan will upgrade his, too.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(26-Jul-2016, 03:12)Damon Wrote: I received the upgrade emails today as well. Seems to be official news that corroborates the details and numbers that have been flying around here; at least the rumours have been true! I haven't been on the forum for a few days, so I apparently missed all the action.

I won't be saying good bye to Devialet at all and I doubt, at least for the moment, that I will upgrade. Certainly one reason is cost but really, I'm still extremely happy with the D120. I don't know what the upgrade cost will be in $ CDN, but we've been pretty lucky in terms of retail prices and exchange rates. Of course, I would have dismissed the idea of a $7,000.00 amp two years ago, but hearing the Devialet changed my mind on that balance sheet. So, as thumb5 says, we don't actually know what a D220 Pro sounds like so the sonic performance is only speculative. Same thing with the performance of the other components. Perhaps I (or we) will have the same sense of revelation and the cost will seem reasonable... or justifiable.

If I don't upgrade I'll have a D120, but now/soon a superseded model. Not a big deal as I still have an amp that is amazing. Same thing with my car; the new one has a turbo as standard, but the old one isn't suddenly worse for being replaced with a newer, and apparently better model.

Damon,
The flaw in your generous approach to this quandary is that the only way you may know if the upgrade has any merit is in visiting a dealer, a dealer who will realize no immediate benefit, AFAIK,  to staging the comparison.
Some lose ends in this.
Hi hk,

It will be very interesting to see what is actually involved with the upgrade. I'm not ruling out the possibility, but I never come home and listen to music, and then start to itch for more. Then again, once I heard the Devialet, I had that itch.... So I'm just going to hang around and see what falls out of the tree, so to speak. I agree that the D120 appears to get the biggest relative improvement, in terms of power at least,  but we still won't have the extra inputs or pre-out facility that the D200 has.

I must avoid listening to the upgraded amp, or else I better start saving my beer bottles now.

I think Jnan will upgrade. I know he feels his speakers need more power. He and I have spoken on the telephone several times- the last time when I was on a sailboat off the coast of Croatia. That went over very well with my wife, I can tell you. Jnan is a terrific fellow, and he has been a great help to me - thanks JD!.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(25-Jul-2016, 22:35)archer75 Wrote: I wonder if or how many of us are considering to give up continuing with Devialet Expert line going forward. My frustration is that I invested my LE200 as it is one box solution which I am happy with but a little longer than my purchase why I should pay 50% of my current device for an upgrade? This will make my total investment in the range of eur 10k which I would have much more options, okay not as a single unit perhaps. I do know if they announced the retail price of pro series though.
My second frustration is that 120 owners will pay the same upgrade cost. This is insane. Regardless of the cost to Devialet is same, they should hv created a difference at upgrade cost, even it is 500 euros.

My dilemma right now is perhaps it is better to sell my LE200 and top up eur 3500 to go for a different path/device.

Anyone else considering the same?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The real (and only) question you should ask yourself should be that if there was no upgrade possible with the 120 and the cost of upgrading your 200 was the same as it is now, would you do it? If not then well, that's it. If the answer is yes however, not upgrading because someone else is getting a better deal then you're just frustrating yourself for all the wrong reasons. 

You can buy a carton of beer in Holland for 6 Euros and here in Australia it's 40 dollars. I don't like it but it's still in a reasonable enough price range that it hasn't stopped me from drinking. If I were to sit there and think about how I'm being ripped off I would certainly not enjoy my beer. That's why every time the thought enters my mind I just think about how much better a beer tastes when it's 30 degrees Celsius. Works every time!  Smile 

I understand that where Devialet stuffed up is that there's no proper streaming function coming to the current Expert range. That was a promise and now you HAVE to upgrade to get the streaming function. Other than that I don't feel Devialet have done anything wrong with this upgrade plan. It's not compulsory. I'm sure you will still enjoy the music through your 200 as much today as you did Yesterday.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Jul-2016, 03:18)Wdw Wrote: The flaw in your generous approach to this quandary is that the only way you may know if the upgrade has any merit is in visiting a dealer, a dealer who will realize no immediate benefit, AFAIK,  to staging the comparison. Some lose ends in this.

Wdw,
Yes, that is a good point. I am fortunate that the dealer I like and use has become a friend and so I am sure I would get offers to listen. But that makes me think that the only way we will get a listen is when the Pro models arrive in dealer's stores. Buying anything like this without a first-hand listen would be quite a gamble; by which I mean that you would only do that with money you can afford to lose..  

There are often holes in my thinkimg but for now, no pressure and so no quandary. Just curiosity that comes from fondness for the product.

Your point about the dealer getting no benefit, in the immediate instance, is also a good one, and a curious aspect of the upgrade system.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
(26-Jul-2016, 04:31)Damon Wrote:
(26-Jul-2016, 03:18)Wdw Wrote: The flaw in your generous approach to this quandary is that the only way you may know if the upgrade has any merit is in visiting a dealer, a dealer who will realize no immediate benefit, AFAIK,  to staging the comparison. Some lose ends in this.

Wdw,
Yes, that is a good point. I am fortunate that the dealer I like and use has become a friend and so I am sure I would get offers to listen. But that makes me think that the only way we will get a listen is when the Pro models arrive in dealer's stores. Buying anything like this without a first-hand listen would be quite a gamble; by which I mean that you would only do that with money you can afford to lose..  

There are often holes in my thinkimg but for now, no pressure and so no quandary. Just curiosity that comes from fondness for the product.

Your point about the dealer getting no benefit, in the immediate instance, is also a good one, and a curious aspect of the upgrade system.

You will live to a good long age, best Warren
(25-Jul-2016, 23:04)maxijazz Wrote: I bought D200 two months ago. I would consider upgrading if priced around €2000. But never for €3500.

+1
(26-Jul-2016, 05:22)Fragoulisnaval Wrote:
(25-Jul-2016, 23:04)maxijazz Wrote: I bought D200 two months ago. I would consider upgrading if priced around €2000. But never for €3500.

+1

No mention of a discount for those who purchased in 2016?