Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a little aggrieved d400
Well I sympathize, and I'd be more than a little aggrieved too.

[edit] - I'm also interested in this statement - 'She assured me that this is a new model that does not supersede the old' - is this really the case? Are Devialet continuing to sell the old models alongside the new?
(27-Jul-2016, 09:24)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Well I sympathize, and I'd be more than a little aggrieved too.

[edit] - I'm also interested in this statement - 'She assured me that this is a new model that does not supersede the old' - is this really the case? Are Devialet continuing to sell the old models alongside the new?

The 400 are not on the web site anymore ( unless i am looking in the wrong place )
dave
Vitus sia 25,focal1038be,cambridge cxn, melco na1,studio connections cabling.
(27-Jul-2016, 09:24)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Well I sympathize, and I'd be more than a little aggrieved too.

I can only imagine this is another 'lost in translation' moment. It would be very odd to sell the previous and current generation at the same time, and even if they did, the newer more expensive pro models surely still supersede the older ones? But what do I know Shy

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

The whole situation is made even more complicated by the fact that we've had strong speculation on here for at least 4 weeks, almost entirely driven by dealers themselves, that new models were round the corner. Again it's rather unfair that 'those in the know' or those that read this forum were aware of that but not necessarily new purchasers of Devialets.   The whole dealer NDA thing seems to be farcical because on one hand some feel a moral requirement to warn customers that new models are close, and others adhere to the NDA. Who's right? Legally and technically the ones adhering to the NDA I guess.
I suppose also 4 weeks is close to some product return dates, either legal or dealer-specific.

I really think Devialet need to introduce an amnesty period of some description for those who bought close to the cut-off. Or perhaps dealers might be willing to do this?  It could be seen as an open goal PR-wise.
(27-Jul-2016, 10:55)Rufus McDufus Wrote: The whole situation is made even more complicated by the fact that we've had strong speculation on here for at least 4 weeks, almost entirely driven by dealers themselves, that new models were round the corner. Again it's rather unfair that 'those in the know' or those that read this forum were aware of that but not necessarily new purchasers of Devialets.   The whole dealer NDA thing seems to be farcical because on one hand some feel a moral requirement to warn customers that new models are close, and others adhere to the NDA. Who's right? Legally and technically the ones adhering to the NDA I guess.
I suppose also 4 weeks is close to some product return dates, either legal or dealer-specific.

I really think Devialet need to introduce an amnesty period of some description for those who bought close to the cut-off. Or perhaps dealers might be willing to do this?  It could be seen as an open goal PR-wise.

Rufus do you have any specific info re the Linn upgrade schemes? I do seem to remember a 3 month amnesty too.

Actually the rumours re the new models had been circulating on this site since the start of the "new product launch" thread on the 27th April, with more concrete info coming re a 1000 model in early May:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2980

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Can't find anything from Linn but here's a thread from last year (the arguments look rather familiar) and a post from a Linn retailer. Seems dealers used to know three months in advance and it was dealer-specific as to how they'd inform the customers, though recently things have changed and secrecy is a lot tighter on new product releases. I definitely recall some dealers selling to customers with the proviso that they'd replace the product with the new one when it became available (which must've cost them a fair bit?).

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid351842
In fairness to new purchasers dealers will pass on discounts that manufactures give to them in order to clear out inventory. Let's say your dealer traditionally gives 10% off then the 15% clearance discount that Devialet promoted should be combined for a total of 25% off retail price. This helps soften the blow when new product is introduced. It sounds like you would have ponied up for the new models had you known but that's generally not the way business is done.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
This seems a common practice with most Manufacturers.I recently purchased a Meridian 818 only for Meridian to release there new 'Ultra' DAC.I asked my Dealer if they were aware of the impending release and they said "no" but I'm not so sure.I was equally hacked off, especially as I was already a Meridian customer !!
I have the chance of buying a 400, can anybody tell me the cost of the upgrade to 440?
(27-Jul-2016, 12:05)DavidNC Wrote: This seems a common practice with most Manufacturers.I recently purchased a Meridian 818 only for Meridian to release there new 'Ultra' DAC.I asked my Dealer if they were aware of the impending release and they said "no" but I'm not so sure.I was equally hacked off, especially as I was already a Meridian customer !!
I have the chance of buying a 400, can anybody tell me the cost of the upgrade to 440?

Hi
According to the mail shot £4,490.00 

Dave
Vitus sia 25,focal1038be,cambridge cxn, melco na1,studio connections cabling.
(27-Jul-2016, 09:09)dkdavid Wrote: The upgrade would cost me the same as buying the new pro model, so the discount irrelevant, my gripe is the way they new model was kept from me !

So you bought a 400 with a discount and if you decide to upgrade you will have spent the same as if you would have bought the upgraded version straight away? I don't see what the problem is here.

Look at this from Devialet's / The dealer's perspective; Say you listened to the 400 and liked it. You're in for a buy but you're waiting for the new version to come out. Two weeks later you walk past a different hifi store and decide to go in for a browse. You see an amp from a competitor and decide to have a listen. As it happens, this dealer has done a particularly good job at setting up the equipment and it sounds amazing. You buy it. Devialet looses the sale. You're just happy with your new amp and don't feel the slightest bit bad for what you've just done. 

The way I see it, you have the best of both worlds; You got a 400 on the cheap, which is a fantastic piece of equipment that you could easily live with for years to come, and you have the option to upgrade to the latest model for the same total cost of that new model. And you have a choice. You don't have to. Imagine if your budget was just enough to buy the 400 with the discount. Wouldn't you feel great you've scraped it in just before the price rise?

If I were you I would just enjoy the music. If it's 4 weeks old, by now it should have started to sound its best  Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.