Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
My Phantom Golds Arrive Friday!!!!!!!
Okay.... the eagle has LANDED! I have all five Devialet speaker setup (3 silvers, 2 golds, 1 dialog, 1 remote, 5 Tree stands) initial thoughts:

-The setup has been greatly improved. I got all five speakers working in the three rooms (pretty large square footage) where they wouldn't before when I tried with all silvers. Took me less than 10 minutes vs HOURS for the old software.

-I LOVE the aesthetic of the Gold's. In my opinion even the skeptics, when you see them in person, you will realize they are much prettier than the silvers for two reasons: First, the speaker woofers are white instead of silver, so the ball is completed. It looks much less robotic. Second, the "gold" looks much more like a shiny copper. It's really beautiful.

-I'm still trying to get my read on the acoustics of the gold vs silver. My initial reaction is that the mids of the gold are much punchier (not surprising given Titanium). You can really hear the difference on guitar strumming and male singers. Solid improvement IMO.

-On my setup, the silvers sound a bit better on the highs, but I'm guessing this might be due to break-in vs actually being qualitatively better.

-They improved the packaging. The new golds ship with a cloth condom that wraps the speaker. It's a nice touch.

I definitely am glad I pulled the trigger. It has transformed my house from one speaker in the master bedroom and a pair in the LR to stereo in MBR and LR and mono in guest BR. It's awesome.

I'm back in love with Devialet Smile
Congrats Smile You are lucky to have 5 Phantom speaker. When Devialet comes with the surround you should definitely try that Wink
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
Wow on the new Golds! Congrats!!
Thanks for the post and please do tell us more about the sound difference between silver and gold when set up optimally in a two channel set up.
You are making history with your first comparison between the 2!
dkoretz, how's the latency of the new Gold phantom? It has a new processor in it so I'm really curious! Anyway, enjoy the product, I'll be looking forward to any new info haha.
Awesome mate!

Would you be able to upload any pics of your setup/Gold Phantoms?
(30-Jul-2016, 16:25)dkoretz Wrote: Okay.... the eagle has LANDED! I have all five Devialet speaker setup (3 silvers, 2 golds, 1 dialog, 1 remote, 5 Tree stands) initial thoughts:

-The setup has been greatly improved. I got all five speakers working in the three rooms (pretty large square footage) where they wouldn't before when I tried with all silvers. Took me less than 10 minutes vs HOURS for the old software.

-I LOVE the aesthetic of the Gold's. In my opinion even the skeptics, when you see them in person, you will realize they are much prettier than the silvers for two reasons: First, the speaker woofers are white instead of silver, so the ball is completed. It looks much less robotic. Second, the "gold" looks much more like a shiny copper. It's really beautiful.

-I'm still trying to get my read on the acoustics of the gold vs silver. My initial reaction is that the mids of the gold are much punchier (not surprising given Titanium). You can really hear the difference on guitar strumming and male singers. Solid improvement IMO.

-On my setup, the silvers sound a bit better on the highs, but I'm guessing this might be due to break-in vs actually being qualitatively better.

-They improved the packaging. The new golds ship with a cloth condom that wraps the speaker. It's a nice touch.

I definitely am glad I pulled the trigger. It has transformed my house from one speaker in the master bedroom and a pair in the LR to stereo in MBR and LR and mono in guest BR. It's awesome.

I'm back in love with Devialet Smile

THANKS!!  The titanium is actually the tweeter that actually produces the highs/trebles.  The punchier mids, in my opinion, may be more from the midrange driver.  t least one person is of the opinion that titanium may make for a slower tweeter because it weighs more - though you are also rewarded with greater stiffness.
Congrats on getting a huge setup running and thanks for the feedback.
(30-Jul-2016, 21:29)daveyjung Wrote: Awesome mate!

Here are some pics of the Gold's in my living room, and some close-ups

You audiophiles are going to make fun of my speaker placement... I'm also pretty picky on the aesthetics of my house so that ended up driving placement  Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(31-Jul-2016, 15:23)dkoretz Wrote:
(30-Jul-2016, 21:29)daveyjung Wrote: Awesome mate!

Here are some pics of the Gold's in my living room, and some close-ups

You audiophiles are going to make fun of my speaker placement... I'm also pretty picky on the aesthetics of my house so that ended up driving placement  Big Grin

Many thanks! 

I totally get what you mean about the famous placement / performance dilemna...   Big Grin
So with 24 hours more, what are your "second" impressions in terms of sound quality?
Nice view!