Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wall hung speakers?
Are there any great audiophile speakers that can be attached to or inset on a wall and don't take up too much space -- other than the Phantoms?
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(28-Jul-2016, 15:54)AaronG Wrote: Are there any great audiophile speakers that can be attached to or inset on a wall and don't take up too much space -- other than the Phantoms?

I saw recently that Wilson do a small wall mounted speaker and I wondered what it might sound like. 
Pretty good, knowing their reputation! I'm sure that KEF do a "build in" model as do a few other manufacturers.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
There are some Magnepan built ins too. Which is what I would be looking at knowing how their 1.7's sound. Whack a couple of JL audio in wall subs next to them and you'll have an incredible full range system.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I think that Totem makes on-wall speakers; the Tribe (... searching memory...). Also Sonus Faber had something that I think was a wall mount, the Elipsa, or Elipsa monitor. Whatever it is, it would be something you need to find used.

I don't know where you are, so availability may be an issue. Beonicke make a little speaker, the W5 SE which by all accounts is remarkable. I know someone here has a pair. Also a SAM profile exists for that speaker. They have side firing woofers which could/ should help with placement close to a wall. I would think that any speaker that pushes air to the back as well as to the front would be a poor choice for the location constraints you describe. Otherwise I'd suggest the Amphion Argon 3S; a rear-firing driver likely means it has to have space around it.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
As a wild card option, Audio Note speakers are not for attaching to a wall, but the manufacturer does (unusually) recommend placing them very close to the back wall.

They are perhaps a bit of an acquired taste, not for everyone (which speakers are for everyone?). Just a thought!

I did hear a pair once in a very expensive tube rig. To be honest, this system was about as far away as you can get from how I would approach putting together a system, but perhaps surprisingly, it was a very good listen indeed!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks everyone. The Magneplanars are very interesting, but I don't like dealing w/ the bass panels. I'm sure the Wilsons are great but I'm also sure that they are out of my price range! Can the Boenicke's be wall hung? It seems on their website that they are stand mounted. The Audio Note are interesting (as are Larsens) but I want them to go above a couch. Seems like the Phantoms w/ Gecko stands will be the best options.

There are always the other Phantom speakers!
http://www.dali-speakers.com/uk/loudspea...-speakers/

I have always wondered if I would have bought these if the Devialet Phantoms had not been announced.
http://www.dali-speakers.com/uk/loudspea...bicon-lcr/

Otherwise, as you can judge from previous replies, the choice is vast.

Good luck.
(31-Jul-2016, 23:49)alandbush Wrote: There are always the other Phantom speakers!
http://www.dali-speakers.com/uk/loudspea...-speakers/

I have always wondered if I would have bought these if the Devialet Phantoms had not been announced.
http://www.dali-speakers.com/uk/loudspea...bicon-lcr/

Otherwise, as you can judge from previous replies, the choice is vast.

Good luck.

Maybe, but you'd also need an amp. to power them!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I have my Piega's mounted directly on the wall and together with my JL Audio SW they deliver more than enough sound for the listening area. (30 sq. mtrs)

Piega was even nice enough to put a second mount on each speaker case so that I could mount them horizontally. They also supply the wall mounts which match the looks of the speaker cases.

l can post a pic if you are interested.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I'd love to see it if you have the time to take a picture. I haven't heard Piega's but they get a lot of good press!

(01-Aug-2016, 22:07)baconbrain Wrote: I have my Piega's mounted directly on the wall and together with my JL Audio SW they deliver more than enough sound for the listening area. (30 sq. mtrs)

Piega was even nice enough to put a second mount on each speaker case so that I could mount them horizontally. They also supply the wall mounts which match the looks of the speaker cases.

l can post a pic if you are interested.