Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devi + Vinyl
(16-Sep-2016, 10:11)DelaneyB Wrote: My wife has wanted a TT for ages. She still has a lot of vinyl that she never got rid of when we went fully CD (then rips) 12 years ago.
So today I picked up a new Rega RP3....
I must say it sounds superb!

After spending 3 decades using massive audiophile turntables (e.g, Basis), I decided to take a different approach. I bought fairly cheaply on eBay the Technics SL-10 linear tracking turntable (compact size, slightly larger than an LP). It's beautifully designed, the only turntable to be featured in the Museum of Modern Art in New York city. It takes only P-mount cartridges, of which there are a few still being made, but not that many. The best cartridge for the linear tracker is the Shure V-LT, which sells for around $500, but there are many to be bought for under $100. 

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-10.html

However, the sound is just amazing through the Devialet phono stage, almost as good as my 100 pound Basis with SME V tonearm. Best of all, anyone can use the Technics. Open the cover, put the LP on, close the cover, and press play. No fuss, no muss! Linear tracking means no antiskating adjustment, no overhang, none of that nonsense. Tracking force does not need to be adjusted either, since the cartridges are set to play at 1.25 grams by design. Piug in the cartridge, turn one screw to tighten. 

Best of all, the design is so cool that the turntable will function flawlessly even if tilted, placed upside down (!) etc. Technics makes a special stand for it too (long sold out, but I snagged a copy on eBay yesterday, and I'm waiting for it). 

The models you should consider are SL-10, SL-5 (smaller, lighter), SL-15 (programmable). These are all state of the art tables. The specs will blow away any Rega (if you believe in specs, that is!). Wow and flutter is unmeasurable, and noise is around -80 dB. These generally go on eBay for $125-300. Make sure the table you buy has been serviced and its belt replaced. I can recommend some sellers, if anyone is interested. 

Needless to say, I will be soon selling my massive Basis and SME V tonearm. Like the Devialet D400 which replaced my 200 pound Krell 700cx, there's no substitute for clever thinking to a problem. Brute force solutions are no guarantee of a good design. The SME V, and conventional arms and turntables are just "brute force thinking", making a simple problem unnecessarily complicated. The Technics linear tracker is a great example of how to solve a problem elegantly with simple design, and a minimum of fuss. Get a serviced model, and it will last 30 years. Every few years, open the cover, remove one screw, plug in new cartridge, and tighten the screw. A 1 minute service routine. Go back to listening to your records. That's what I intend to do, instead of spending a huge amount of time eyeballing the tonearm to adjust VTA, tracking force, overhang, antiskating, .... all that nonsense. Who needs it?
I would counsel against the SL15. It was the best sounding of them all because of the cartridge supplied, IMO, but mine was hopelessly unreliable and eventually ended up in a skip.
I have a friend who has the beautiful SL10 which has given sterling service since he bought it new (because of the styling, when they first came out.
A splendid piece of engineering.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I must dig out that SL-7 I have gathering dust in my little spare room ....... Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I use a P3-24 which is essentially the same deck without the fancy brace on the plinth. I have an exact2 cart. I absolutely love it, and it is down to earth enough that I can throw used vinyl on it and play away without worrying about a multi kilobuck cart being destroyed.

The Devialet has a spectacular phono stage onboard, one of the most shocking surprises of the platform. The fact that it everything set is set up through drop downs is awesome.