Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Details of Devialet tone control system etc.
(06-Aug-2016, 21:47)srima Wrote: So, the only question that remains is which one to get? The D400, the D440 Pro, or the D800?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Srima

It all depends on your budget, I have a D400 and am thinking about upgrading to a D800 if I can work the funds out.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(05-Aug-2016, 23:05)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Sridar, bear in mind that (like many settings) the tone control settings for bass/treble can't be adjusted on the fly - they are setup via the configurator, downloaded to the computer, written to the sad card, and then inserted into amp.

There's no specific info about roll off etc as far as I'm aware. I use tone controls a lot while room corrections out of my chain, and I find it incredibly frustrating. For a digital hybrid amplifier with plenty of onboard dsp, the user is given practically zero useful access to be able to harness the power of the system. A 'Dirac-like' custom drawn EQ curve, or multiple parametric EQs - adjustable in real time - would have been a game changer but features like these are always rumoured and never surface!

Since you're technical, also note that you're locked out of modifying config files even though they're plain text. You always have to eject the sad card, configure online, download, write the card, re-insert, and let settings load.

What I was going to try is insert my Tact 2.2XP room correction preamp just before the Devialet. The Tact has a large set of controls for correction of speaker response. First, you measure the speaker in your room. Then, you fit its response to a target curve, chosen from a large pre-supplied set, or simply make one up by hand editing the curves. Then the Tact loads up a digital filter that makes the speaker fit the response you desire (which is usually to remove the bass humps and gently slope the top end down to minimize brightness). In addition, the Tact has exhaustive tone and parametric filter controls. I would connect the Tact to the Devialet using the AES-EBU connection (or one of the other digital connections).
Sounds good to me. I would mind not to attenaute the digital signal with the TacT and control volume via the Devialet.

I also believe I have read somewhere that if you send the corrections needed to Devialet, they will build you a correction curve that you can load onto your Devialet. This may allow for you to remove the TacT from the signal chain after your room has been measured.
(09-Aug-2016, 17:18)Les Anderson Wrote: Sounds good to me. I would mind not to attenaute the digital signal with the TacT and control volume via the Devialet.

I also believe I have read somewhere that if you send the corrections needed to Devialet, they will build you a correction curve that you can load onto your Devialet. This may allow for you to remove the TacT from the signal chain after your room has been measured.

That sounds terrific. Boy, that would be cool to load up correction curves for my various speakers, and not require using the Tact.
(09-Aug-2016, 17:18)Les Anderson Wrote: Sounds good to me. I would mind not to attenaute the digital signal with the TacT and control volume via the Devialet.

I think this is no longer possible. Longer term Dev owners will surely chip in on this, but basically Devialet used to offer this service but doesn't anymore. Probably because it diatracted their engineers from AIR solving chores...

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Quick note on AIR - since v3 beta this has been working flawlessly for me via wired ethernet. I had huge problems previously. Its by far the best sounding input compared with Toslink, USB and AES/EBU in my set up.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(10-Aug-2016, 01:32)LBameule Wrote:
(09-Aug-2016, 17:18)Les Anderson Wrote: Sounds good to me. I would mind not to attenaute the digital signal with the TacT and control volume via the Devialet.

I think this is no longer possible. Longer term Dev owners will surely chip in on this, but basically Devialet used to offer this service but doesn't anymore. Probably because it diatracted their engineers from AIR solving chores...

L

Also, which is more sensible - giving customers a simple way to apply an EQ curve and attenuation themselves, or get them to send details to an engineer in Paris to do it and send it back to you!?

It's a shame they don't do it anymore, but realistically it's probably like a couple of days work to get EQ code into something like a Devialet (since it's based on it), maybe a couple of months max to test and add user interface, checks for clipping etc. I just can't fathom why it's not there.... the machine's built for it!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(10-Aug-2016, 01:32)LBameule Wrote:

L

Also, which is more sensible - giving customers a simple way to apply an EQ curve and attenuation themselves, or get them to send details to an engineer in PRis to do it and send it back to you!?

It's a shame they don't do it anymore, but realistically it's probably like a couple of days work to get EQ code into something like a Devialet (since it's based on it), maybe a couple of months max to test and add user interface, checks for clipping etc. I just can't fathom why it's not there.... the machine's built for it!

They've gone to the trouble of adding EQ, but with the most basic controls in the world, and never followed up with improvements. I guess they just got lost in a PR world of SAM so ignore proper EQ now. SAM makes a difference but to the average persons home I'd guess EQ would be much more beneficial - I know which I'd prefer!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<