Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aurender X100 with Devialet
(08-Oct-2014, 01:58)adstew Wrote: The Aurender is up and running but I have unfortunately had very little time to enjoy it. That said, I am posting some early observations -

1 - The app is top notch. Great UI, easy to use and well thought out. Nice search functionality. Better than any ipad remote/mac/jriver/etc for me.

2 - Library transition from USB drive was easy. Roughly 5 hours per TB.

3 - Build quality is great. Personally, I never really liked seeing a mac mini on my audio rack. You can select what you want to see on the display - song info/meters/ or nothing. The meters are a little cheesy imo.

4 - Reviews that refer to black background are accurate. To my ears, the Aurender does a better job than the Mac. It is more quiet

5 - Source matters - Isn't this always true? The Aurender comes with source material of varying quality for a reason. You can clearly hear the difference. I found it to be more critical of lesser source material than the mac. I need to spend more time here.

6 - The Berkeley and the Aurender did not get along. I have sent an email to Berkeley to understand why but think it may be the difference between a selectable computer interface and the Aurender. The dealer felt strongly about not using it but I am hoping to get it to work. I really liked the Audirvana/Berkeley Alpha combo and preferred it to air/ethernet.

I have not done any extensive AB listening so please excuse the lack of comparison. Based on what I have heard so far, the Aurender is here to stay.

Hey Adam great summary. How are you connecting the Aurender to your Devialet?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(08-Oct-2014, 01:58)adstew Wrote: The Aurender is up and running but I have unfortunately had very little time to enjoy it. That said, I am posting some early observations -

..snip

6 - The Berkeley and the Aurender did not get along. I have sent an email to Berkeley to understand why but think it may be the difference between a selectable computer interface and the Aurender. The dealer felt strongly about not using it but I am hoping to get it to work. I really liked the Audirvana/Berkeley Alpha combo and preferred it to air/ethernet.

look forward to your thoughts when you've had some more time with it.
I don't have one myself, but it'd be useful for others to expand on your Berkeley problems if you could ?

good listening ! I'm getting very interested.....
mike

..snip

look forward to your thoughts when you've had some more time with it.
I don't have one myself, but it'd be useful for others to expand on your Berkeley problems if you could ?

good listening ! I'm getting very interested.....
mike

Currently connected via USB. I got no sound when I tried the Berkeley. Called them today and they said others did not have the same problem with the Aurender/Berkeley combo. Planning to hook it back up and
try again this weekend. Will update shortly.
Back home and listening to the Aurender with the Berkeley. The Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable works fine when going from the Aurender to the Devialet but does not work when going from the Aurender to the Berkeley. I substituted a different USB and all is good. Not sure why as the Berkeley shows it is getting signal with both.

Sound is very good with the Alpha USB. Full, rich...listening to Beck's Morning Phase and all sounds great. More listening to do.
(11-Oct-2014, 03:25)adstew Wrote: Back home and listening to the Aurender with the Berkeley. The Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable works fine when going from the Aurender to the Devialet but does not work when going from the Aurender to the Berkeley. I substituted a different USB and all is good. Not sure why as the Berkeley shows it is getting signal with both.

Sound is very good with the Alpha USB. Full, rich...listening to Beck's Morning Phase and all sounds great. More listening to do.

First post on this site, Hello All.
Been following this issue as I am considering an X100 and have an Alpha USB. A dealer in Texas, Galen Carol Audio, has had great success with the ALPHA USB with the X100l and highly recommends it while a dealer in Santa Monica claims that they are incompatible. Furthermore, spurred on by the comments from the Californian dealer I emailed Aurender and received a reply from Eric Shim, of Aurender agreeing there is a compatibility issue between the Berkeley Alpha USB and Aurender...confusing at best.
Works for some and not others..email exchange below.

Type your response ABOVE THIS LINE to reply
Subject: Berkeley Audio Alpha USB
OCT 02, 2014 | 07:19PM KST

Eric replied:
Hello
I forgot to tell you about it only has a problem when you play 176.4 or higher sampling rate.
Best regards,
Eric Shim

SEP 24, 2014 | 06:03PM KST
Eric replied:
Hello
No, problem. Yes, it is related to W20 has this issue, but in case you have W20, you don’t need Berkley USB Alpha. :-)
Best regards,
Eric Shim

SEP 24, 2014 | 03:53PM KST
Wdw replied:
Hello Eric,
Thank you for your reply. Is this compatibility issue true for the W20 as well as the X100L?
Wdw

SEP 24, 2014 | 02:44PM KST
Eric replied:
Hello
First of all, thank you for your interest in
The information is correct. At this point, Berkeley Alpha USB has the compatibility issue with Aurender and we don’t have a plan to fix this issue at this point.
Actually, it is not the chipset issue since other DACs with same issue works without this issue.
Best regards,
Eric Shim

SEP 24, 2014 | 02:16PM KST
Original message
Wdw wrote:
Hello,
I am contemplating a purchase of the X100L to use with my Berkeley DAC and Alpha USB. I was speaking to a dealer in the USA ( there are no dealers here in Canada ) and he mentioned there is a conflict between the chipset in the Berkeley Audio Alpha USB and the Aurender recommending that these two not be paired together. Can you offer any insight on this matter?
The issue seems to be USB cable dependent. My Wireworld PS did not work. I am now using a Totaldac USB cable with the Aurender Berkeley combo. No issues and the cable is pretty amazing. Going to A/B without the Alpha DAC this weekend.
Hi people,

Just a slight drift off-track. But now that adstew has mentioned the totaldac USB cable I thought of sharing my experience with it.
As I listen to Pink Floyd, it still amazes me the difference brought by this cable. I know it sounds like taken from a commercial... But its introduction to the system has been a bit like finding the exact spot for the speakers in the room, where suddenly everything just falls right into place.

As it breaks in (I am still very skeptical about this with most "commercial" brand cables), I've noticed a great increase in soundstage depth and focus.
Right from the box it already surprised me the amount of micro-detail and ambience discovered.

To summarise, it just sounds right, exactly like the Devialet. Balanced and natural. Nothing added or substracted from the recording.

BTW, how is the X100 behaving adstew? It's a source I am still contemplating along with the totaldac server. Nonetheless, there's absolutely no rush Smile

Enjoy,

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
well I've taken the plunge and ordered an X100L.

there's a 3-part article comparing a CAPS with Aries and Aurender over at Computer Audiophile, which I had hoped would bring more useful feedback, but I couldn't wait for Parts 2 & 3 any longer; and as all the Aurender feedback I've seen is positive (except maybe price wise) I'm confident it will meet my expectations.

I'll post feedback when I've had some time with it. After a few years of messing around with computers as music source I'm really looking forward to a much simplified digital music existence (after some careful initial system configuration)

mike
I am extremely happy with the Aurender and don't miss the mac/itunes combo. It sounds terrific and the app is outstanding. MLs observation on the totaldac cable is spot on. Great out of the box and very natural sounding. I am still back and forth on the Alpha USB. I plan to do more listening this evening. Adding the totaldac cable seemed to even out the performance of the Aurender straight into the Devialet versus using the Alpha. Mike, you won't be disappointed.
Any updates will be greatly appreciated here. Smile
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.