Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade to 200->400 or add Aurender N100H?
Hi Folks:
I got D200 in a used market couple of months ago and really like the SQ over my NAD M22, which I had in my system for less than 4 months :-) At lower volumes, both units sound alike, but when you crank it up a little, D200 outshines it in all department.
I have no interest in upgrading it to D220 due to unreasonable cost for US customers. I'm thinking about 2 possible options. I can only choose one of them at a time.

Option 1 - Get a companion unit around $4500.  All the feedback suggests that D400 is a significant upgrade over D200. I'm scratching my head on this since D200 does such a good job. My speakers are Pioneer S1-ex which have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms per the specs. So, they are not really power hungry.
Option 2 - Get Aurender N100H for around $2300.  I have heard/read great things about this unit and how it is a significant upgrade to my existing Squeezebox touch with USB output.  I'm not sure about how the SQ compares to AIR3. Since I'm not going to be upgrading to D220, I'll not be in a position to get a new streamer board when it becomes available. 

Which option do you think makes sense and why ?

Thanks..
(13-Aug-2016, 19:33)sam1000 Wrote: Hi Folks:
I got D200 in a used market couple of months ago and really like the SQ over my NAD M22, which I had in my system for less than 4 months :-) At lower volumes, both units sound alike, but when you crank it up a little, D200 outshines it in all department.
I have no interest in upgrading it to D220 due to unreasonable cost for US customers. I'm thinking about 2 possible options. I can only choose one of them at a time.

Option 1 - Get a companion unit around $4500.  All the feedback suggests that D400 is a significant upgrade over D200. I'm scratching my head on this since D200 does such a good job. My speakers are Pioneer S1-ex which have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms per the specs. So, they are not really power hungry.
Option 2 - Get Aurender N100H for around $2300.  I have heard/read great things about this unit and how it is a significant upgrade to my existing Squeezebox touch with USB output.  I'm not sure about how the SQ compares to AIR3. Since I'm not going to be upgrading to D220, I'll not be in a position to get a new streamer board when it becomes available. 

Thanks..

I am in a similar position. I use the Logitech Squeezebox USB output to drive my D400, and it sounds absolutely first rate. I also considered getting an Aurender. The thing that gives me pause is the software. Hardware prowess is one thing, but the most important aspect of a streamer is how good the software is at organizing your collection, retrieving a piece of music, updating to allow new additions etc. 

I was badly burned by getting the much lauded Sony HAP-Z1ES streamer, a beautiful 30 pound machine that only Sony can produce. However, its software is absolutely terrible. Adding a CD can take literally hours! Whereas my Logitech Squeezebox can rip through 2 terabytes of music on a hard drive in 30 minutes or so, on the Sony, it can literally take a week! No matter how good the hardware is, if the software is not up to snuff, a streamer IMHO is useless. Now, the real issue is how fast is the Aurender software compared to the Logitech?
If AIR 3 works for you I think that it will probably sound so good that upgrading amps is more effective than upgrading players.

The companion will cut distortion in half and have many other benefits to sound quality other than the increase in power.

Of course, upgrading the power cord from the Devialet stock to something like the Shunyata Z-PC10 may make more difference than upgrading players too, so there are other options. In my system, a number of tweaks make more difference than AIR vs. a tweaked USB music server with USB reclocker and top-end USB cable. The power cords, master/slave link, and speaker cable upgrades I've done made more difference for instance. I recommend trying a few things in your system to see what makes a difference to you. If you can listen and then return them you'll know far more than we can tell you.
Hi Sam, I was in the same position myself (sort of) earlier this year, and bought a second (used) D200. Adding this made a HUGE difference to power, soundstage, presence and bass energy of my system - to the point where I'd always want to retain a dual mono amp from now on rather than a stereo one.

Coincidentally, around the exact same time, I also bought a N100H to replace an Auralic Aries. Again a huge jump in sound quality, and a really nicely made piece of equipment to own and use. However, in the last few months I've been experimenting with Roon using a RPi, and the sound quality is close to the Aurender, for a negligible/peanuts cost. Had I heard the Roon/RPi combo I might not have bought the Aurender, much as I like it.

My view would be to go for the second Devialet as there lots of new, inexpensive and innovative streaming solutions appearing now, but the impact of adding the second Devialet (for me) was really dramatic.
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
Option 3. Upgrade Devialet 220Pro & buy an Oppo 105D. In the US cheaper than in Europe and then the sound. Do you have fast internet over there (> 300MB/sec?). You tube for free in combination with Audioquest stuff. Balanced into the new 220P. I bought a small Samsung 4K monitor (26 inch) for the information on the screen. Harddisk into the Oppo. Have you seen the concerts from New York, London and Berlin (Philharmonic, Oppo prescribe) live!!! In 7.1.....! I have an 103EU as well, but the 105D is a bargain. You can expend the machine with everything you want, search on the internet. Upgradeable. In january 2017 comes the 4K.
So 2016/ 2017.....Idea?
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

Or option 3. Stick with what you have for now; save your money, enjoy your music and wait for things to develop. The Devialet/streaming arena is in flux at the moment; Devialet might get Air working, they might give us a usable streaming solution in the Pro series (please not just uPnP / DLNA) or there are interesting developments around Roon enabled hardware coming through. In a year's time things could have moved on a huge amount.

I have an Aurender. It's very good, and far better the the various Squeeze devices I've used in the past. However, were I in your position I would not buy for the reasons outlined above.
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
See if you can get AIR working and see what Devialet's streaming option will be. The Aurender is a great unit but may well be superfluous. If you really feel the itch, listen to it first.

I love my Aurender X100L and bought it when there were few great sounding options (that I could afford). I plan to keep it but Devialet may have finally turned the corner when it comes to AIR and/or streaming.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions/advice. I'll definitely hold off on Aurender.

I did have Oppo 105 but sold it. However, I'm eagerly waiting for their 4k player. Oppo with Vanity board is also something to be considered based on few user reviews. If Oppo implements Dirac in their player, then it becomes even more appealing for MCH playback.

Roon/RPi seems like something I can experiment with at such a lower cost. Plus AIR has not given me any trouble so far.

I have not heard/read a comment where someone has gone back from D400 to D200, so that's a big endorsement which is weighing heavily on my mind.

Thanks for helping me sort these options out!!! This forum is such a big help and I certainly do hope that Devialet can start contributing to it in future.

Thanks..

Get a companion!!!!

I auditioned D200 and then D400. Also had the Aurender. 100% suggest going with the companion. For me, it was a huge upgrade. Going with the Aurender, it actually wasn't as good as Air with regards to sound quality. However, Aurender was very user friendly with a great interface and ease of use. I purchased the D400 and sold off my Aurender.
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
Devialet 400 Air Ethernet
Roon Nucleus w custom power supply
QNAP NAS
PS Audio P3 Powerplant and Powerbase
Furutech GTX_D Outlet on dedicated line
JPS Labs Kaptovators to the wall

(20-Aug-2016, 23:49)Foggy916 Wrote:

Thanks..

Get a companion!!!!

I auditioned D200 and then D400.  Also had the Aurender.  100% suggest going with the companion.  For me, it was a huge upgrade.  Going with the Aurender, it actually wasn't as good as Air with regards to sound quality.  However, Aurender was very user friendly with a great interface and ease of use.  I purchased the D400 and sold off my Aurender.
I did almost the same thing. I sold my Aurender N100H and just bought a D250 companion for 6000$ canadian. Wow, amazing! To my taste, Air 3.0 is better than the Aurender I had.
Devialet 800. Dynaudio Focus 340. Transparent MusicWave Super speaker cable. Rega P3 turntable. Naim NAT05 XS with Flatcap XS.