Poll: Do you use tone controls?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.37%
52 35.37%
No
60.54%
89 60.54%
Yes but it has a negative impact on SQ
2.72%
4 2.72%
No because it has a negative impact on SQ
1.36%
2 1.36%
Total 147 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tone controls
Computer software is not much use for those of us who use LPs and CDs a great deal Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I use the raise the base +2.5 dB and set the control at 40Hz, where the drop off of response for my speakers starts to kick in. I believe it is an improvement and certainly not a detriment. If I change speakers I will readjust the tone control based on the frequency response of the new speakers...makes sense to me. Cheers
Devialet 400; KEF Reference 3; custom built Server 2012 with JRiver & Audiophile Optimizer; med grade wall socket; 10 AWG speaker cable bi-wire & un-terminated; AudioQuest Carbon USB with Jitterbug; Shunyata Venom 3 power cables.
Using the tone controls to optimize the speaker response in general is another thing. My proposal with the personal remaster was only meant for those recordings that you like and that are really unlistenable. Even LP can be digitized and remastered.
If really many CD's sound unlistenable then there is a more basic problem with the setup.
My focals have a bit of a hump between 5k and 10k so I've set the treble to 7.5K and have it down 2db.
The tone controls have no notch function so by trying to reduce or increase at a certain frequency every thing above (or below in bass) will be also changed. The slope of the filter is very gradual and also effects slightly the frequencies below the chosen point.
(25-Dec-2014, 18:48)Music or sound Wrote: The tone controls have no notch function so by tying to reduce or increase at a certain frequency every thing above (or below in bass) will be also changed. The slope of the filter is very gradual and also effects slightly the frequencies below the chosen point.

Yes I realize that but I don't care alot about above 10k, I can't hear there anymore. It would be nice to know the actual Q value to see how gradual it is up to my selected 7.5k. My bump is at it's maximum at 7.5 and gradual to there from about 4.5k or so. Falls off again at a little above 9k.

I like what -1.5db at 7.5k has done for my listening sessions.

It would be sweet it they allowed a user adjustable Q in the next firmware. Or even the option to use a bell curve, select your frequency, q and db.
(25-Dec-2014, 18:48)Music or sound Wrote: The tone controls have no notch function so by tying to reduce or increase at a certain frequency every thing above (or below in bass) will be also changed. The slope of the filter is very gradual and also effects slightly the frequencies below the chosen point.

It would be nice if they gave you the option to choose the slope as they do with sub outs.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Did a little more acoustical treatment this weekend, better results than the tone controls.

Has anyone done a comparison with the tone controls enable set to 0db and 0db versus having them completely disabled in the configuration?
(25-Dec-2014, 19:28)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

It would be nice if they gave you the option to choose the slope as they do with sub outs.

There is this option if one choses preout in the configurator. But that takes away 2 input options. The speaker setting allows to chose crossover frequency and slope (1. to 4. order). Easy to test but likely no advantage to the tone controls for most speakers but maybe a good option if there a strong high frequency peak (high cross over point and high slope rate).

(27-Dec-2014, 16:31)Dr Tone Wrote: Did a little more acoustical treatment this weekend, better results than the tone controls.

Has anyone done a comparison with the tone controls enable set to 0db and 0db versus having them completely disabled in the configuration?

I did some measurements and there was some change with the tone control enabled with earlier firmwares but not with the present one.
I recently acquired a set of Vandersteen Treo CT to "hopefully replace" my Kef LS50 and a pair of Kef R400b subs.

I am running the Treo full range ( it is a 4-way design ).
But at first I still preferred my pair of Kef R400b subs in the mix, coming in low at 50 Hz or so -> but they were still not the best integrated with the mains .

But then I found audio-nirvana by going sub-less, and using the Devialet's bass tone control to give some more bottom end.
I made SD cards for 50, 55, 60 Hz -> I am liking 50 Hz at +3 setting !
I still get perfect clarity, yet very good bass impact / depth / integration -> NOW no need for my subs.
( I still want to experiment with 40 & 45 Hz settings some more )

I view the tone control as a limited-featured 1-band of EQ.
It should be child's play for the Devialet software folk to implement a few bands of fully adjustable parametric EQ.

- Andy