Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small fingers + woofer dust caps on expensive speakers = ?
Big repair bill?

Ok it's all relative, but my Facts are expensive to me, and an unfortunate incident with a friends inquisitive child left me one woofer with a well dented dust cap. Doh.

If I was keeping them it wouldn't bother me as much and I'd probably try pulling it out and live with it, but since I'm selling them it's going to mean a trip back to Cassa PMC. Have already asked for a quote, but anyone know what we're talking - I'm assuming it's just cosmetic but even so is it the entire driver or they can remove and replace the cap?

Either way I'm bracing myself, I've never had a speaker repair but if it's anything like a car I'm sure it won't be favourably priced!

The poor little sod did call up to say sorry.... Hope it's not a home insurance job.

And there was me partly thinking I've got a few years before mine gets big enough to poke them and I need speakers with hard grilles!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Have you tried carefully sucking it out with a vacuum cleaner?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(13-Aug-2016, 21:49)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Have you tried carefully sucking it out with a vacuum cleaner?

Smile I'd read that might be possible, but I think it's going to look imperfect as its paper and well dented.  Dodgy

So not ideal for resale. I didn't want to mess with it until I'd had a quote from PMC, just in case I made matters worse. I could foresee me and a vacuum cleaner possibly equalling an even bigger bill!  Confused

I might have to update my avatar.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Using a piece of adhesive tape over your index finger, sticky side up of course, holding it with your thumb and middle finger of the same hand works better/more precise than a vacuum cleaner. If normal tape isn't strong enough use duct tape or put the tape over your thumb for a larger "sticky area".

Any speaker repair shop should also be able to repair this or if it needs replacing replace it. I don't think there's an immediate need to send it back to the factory.

Good luck!

Edit: wrote this post before I read it's a paper dust cap (thought it was plastic). This might make things harder or leave wrinkles.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I have successfully used a vacuum cleaner - same situation, a visiting child (I could/should have strangled the parent) - both speakers (PMC) - I was careful not to let the nozzle touch the dust-cap, carefully teasing it out. Unlikely that it will end up looking like new though.
WTL TT / HP laptop (JRiver) / Devialet 400 / Marten Django / Crystal Cable

Sydney Australia
Ouch - both speakers! It could have been four drivers for me so I suppose I was lucky.

These things happen I suppose - I used to be more paranoid, but since they'd survived so far I thought I was worrying too much. Well, plus I had my own to worry about.

Parents-wise, I think a lot of people (even with good incomes and a taste for nice stuff) have no idea how expensive hifi stuff is. Lots of friends get that flashy cars, houses, bikes, even big TVs all cost money - but most just think speakers come with the music system or whatever. Generally Sonos or whatever serves their sounds. That's not having a dig - just seems very few people appreciate it. Only person that even noticed them (immediately) was a sound engineer friend.

Anyway, hearing from the viewpoint of a seven year old - 'it looked really like it wanted you to touch it, like a button' and 'I thought it would pop back out'. Hard to disagree really. I have thought about what it might feel like myself, and whether it would pop back out. Now I know and I didn't even get to enjoy it!  Tongue

Thinking about it, if I can get it repaired and the speaker has to go off, I might just enjoy myself and do the other one.

Kidding!

Mmmmm. Or am I!

Agreed, very enticing to a child, however if the child has been brought up properly they should not go touching stuff when visiting other people - the parents involved in my situation are bone idle and completely inattentive. I didn't cry too much because I use them as rears for home cinema and they are bit beaten up anyway (cheap demos).

Sydney Australia
I think you should go round to their house and poke the woofers in their Amstrad. :-)
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
tempting... ;-)

Sydney Australia