Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small fingers + woofer dust caps on expensive speakers = ?
The parents are good friends and very apologetic.....

Spares from PMC are more affordable than I expected, they don't fix the caps but in their opinion if not punctured is unlikely to affect the sound. They can sell me a driver to install myself or get a local dealer to do it, or they'll do it at a reasonable cost. They strongly recommend not to courier as they have nightmares with them, and so I could take it in the car and do a 'pit stop' fix at their (newish) HQ in Biggleswade - which I'm sort of tempted to do just to see it.

I was surprised to learn the drivers aren't soldered on but are push on spade connectors - for some reason just assumed they would be soldered.

Also found PMC to be very helpful and matter of fact - not very 'audiophile' which was quite refreshing. When I asked if it would sound identical they said all components were made to an exact spec so can easily be replaced so 'it should, but listen and see and if you need to order another driver from the same batch'). Mmmm, spares are a decent price but not so decent I want to do both (or all four for both speakers). What do you think, do drivers performance change over time?

In any case I can get a perfect new driver a few ways, so can relax.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I have a 6 year old and he knows from the beginning to not touch the audio....

Unfortunately i had others (much older) who did try to lift the tweeter dome from my B&W 804!!!!! she thought is was a karaoke set / mic!!! can you believe it? In my opinion it;s more the friends / family to look after who do not know / understand the hifi hobby and thinks it's another Sony set and not fortune at the minimum from a small car....
(16-Aug-2016, 19:11)Xander Wrote: I have a 6 year old and he knows from the beginning to not touch the audio....

Unfortunately i had others (much older) who did try to lift the tweeter dome from my B&W 804!!!!! she thought is was a karaoke set / mic!!! can you believe it? In my opinion it;s more the friends / family to look after who do not know / understand the hifi hobby and thinks it's another Sony set and not fortune at the minimum from a small car....

Wow, after looking at pictures of the 804 again the tweeter does look like a mic.  I don't blame her.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(16-Aug-2016, 19:11)Xander Wrote: Unfortunately i had others (much older) who did try to lift the tweeter dome from my B&W 804!!!!! she thought is was a karaoke set / mic!!! can you believe it?

Did she succeed?! Angry Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

The push fit for drivers is a studio thing, makes fixing blown units quick.

The very limited amount I know about drive units says well run in units are better than new, until they get very old.

I'd have a go at changing it myself in your shoes, if it gets complicated stop and get your dealer or pmc to do it.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
New driver delivered and installed. All went very smoothly and easily really, the hardest part was teasing the old driver out without damaging case or driver - all very slow and steady. The spade connectors were a pretty tight fit. Again, slow and steady. Visually and sound wise seems a perfect match.

So a happy bunny (apart from having to buy it in the first place). I suppose I've got a spare driver now too.

If you're wondering what the facts connectors look like - see below. Kind of makes me forget about speaker cable upgrades (not that I was thinking). There's a crimp and a spade connector just at this junction.

(Damn that photo upload size - another time perhaps!)