Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker upgrade rather than pro
Hi fellas,
I ve decided to upgrade my speakers first then get a companion dev200 to my current one since my speakers are under the level of the dev200 imho.Seems to me more logical to go the speaker upgrade path than the pro.My source is macbookpro el capitan 2012,roon and roonserver, running air beta 3 "working fine" ; ) ; with tidal streaming.(my future plan is adding HQ player , i tried the 30 days trial and it s outstanding)
I ve been reading reviews quite often these days regarding full range speakers in the sub 8000$,and my choices were tightened to these models
1- olympica 2 (samed)
2-vandersteen treo cf
3- endeavor e3 mk2
4-joseph audio profile
5-sonus faber venere s(samed)
The models are less common but choosen according to reviews and design.
I m happy with my sound wich i feel sometimes lack some control, and some extension in the lower frequencies .( working out on some acoustic and new position);So i m looking for more bass control( tighter)wider soundstage,clarity, sense of 'being there' effect, more transparency as well.i like details and warm sound rather than dry.I ve heard only the olympica2 and i luv it( it was quick though), no possibility to hear the others .I like very much the olympica design , the venere s and joseph audio, then vandersteen ,at the end comes endeavor .what would you suggest and why ? Thks
Any other suggestion in the sub 8000$ more than welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(21-Aug-2016, 14:11)samsoum Wrote: Hi fellas,
I ve decided to upgrade my speakers first then get a companion dev200 to my current one since my speakers are under the level of the dev200 imho.Seems to me more logical to go the speaker upgrade path than the pro.My source is macbookpro el capitan 2012,roon and roonserver, running air beta 3 "working fine" ; ) ; with tidal streaming.(my future plan is adding HQ player , i tried the 30 days trial and it s outstanding)
I ve been reading reviews quite often these days regarding full range speakers in the sub 8000$,and my choices were tightened to these models
1- olympica 2 (samed)
2-vandersteen treo cf
3- endeavor e3 mk2
4-joseph audio profile
5-sonus faber venere s(samed)
The models are less common but choosen according to reviews and design.
I m happy with my sound wich i feel sometimes lack some control, and some extension in the lower frequencies .( working out on some acoustic and new position);So i m looking for more bass control( tighter)wider soundstage,clarity, sense of 'being there' effect, more transparency as well.i like details and warm sound rather than dry.I ve heard only the olympica2 and i luv it( it was quick though), no possibility to hear the others .I like very much the olympica design , the venere s and joseph audio, then vandersteen ,at the end comes endeavor .what would you suggest  and why ? Thks
Any other suggestion in the sub 8000$ more than welcome

Confused Confused  come on guys ?????
I assume you're set on a floorstanding 3-way design. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Of your options, I can only comment on the Sonus fabers. I really like the Olympica IIs. I think they're far better than the Venere range. (I do actually have some bookshelf Veneres in my TV room.)

I would add some more suggestions, but I've just been called for dinner!

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
I think that your list is good, and speakers are very personal. There is always a tendency to recommend the speakers that we, ourselves, have bought. And so, in that spirit, I'll recommend Lawrence Audio. I have the Violin SE, and I think they are fabulous. I also listened to Harbeth SHL5+, PMC, Sonus Faber OlyII, B&W 805D, and some smaller models. Overall, I think the Violin SE is better speaker. For me and my ears, so I'd recommend it for a listen. Their Cello might be more in line with the budget you have.

But what we know, or have heard enough to recommend for a listen, depends on what is available in our area. I can get Magico, or Revel, or Wilson, but haven't listened to them for any useful length of time. I can't get Beonicke, or Davone, or any number of other interesting brands. The SAM list includes a whole bunch of speakers I've never heard of, so who knows what I might be missing.

You haven't told us what speakers you have now, or what else you've heard that you liked. Give us a hint....
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I can add to the Olympica II, as an ownwer. They are just all-round very very good and also very nice to look at. A good WAF so to say :-)

But then again, listen is the way to go. Also, your taste in music will decide which way to go. The Olymica's i know are good all-rounders, excel in classic, but are propably beaten by other brands when it comes to other genres.

When i was comparing speakers in about the same range as you (having compared them with the Kef Reference 3, B&W 804 D3, Wilson Benesch Vector and of course my own Spendor D7's), the Olympicas's where just best all-round and most musical to my ears, which works best for me considering loving almost all the music styles out there...

Because of the fact i was not able/there are no dealers in the far neighborhood who have other brands in the same price range to compare, this was what i could compare realistically. But reading the comments on this forum and the reviews out there considering the Olympica II's you could do far worse...
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(23-Aug-2016, 19:05)Jwg1749 Wrote: I assume you're set on a floorstanding 3-way design. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Of your options, I can only comment on the Sonus fabers. I really like the Olympica IIs. I think they're far better than the Venere range. (I do actually have some bookshelf Veneres in my TV room.)

Thks for the reply, listen i like very much the sf venere 2.5 and i m working out to change my set up position now for a more symetrical one, may be some bass traps and some acoustic solutions.I think i can get a lot better, sq wise from my dev200.I already checked out sam list, and most of the brands are not available in my region. I accord a lot of attention to the look and design of a speaker( of course sq is the first priority) . I understand that sam enhances speakers performance but i m restricted to few brands here wich i don t like! Sf olympica 3 was awesome sounding back in paris, and looks stunning , olympica 2 too, but my listening was quick though! I think my journey's gonna end towards sabrina s boat(wilson audio).I know it s a lot more budget but it is available here, and who knows i can meet a second hand seller.The look is perfect, and sound wise is what i m searching( life like sound, it s like to be there effect).
If i buy the olypmica 2 i can easily sell it later !
So.... Mmmmm .... Confusion confusion
It is tiring ...

(24-Aug-2016, 00:57)Damon Wrote: I think that your list is good, and speakers are very personal. There is always a tendency to recommend the speakers that we, ourselves, have bought. And so, in that spirit, I'll recommend Lawrence Audio. I have the Violin SE, and I think they are fabulous. I also listened to Harbeth SHL5+, PMC, Sonus Faber OlyII, B&W 805D, and some smaller models. Overall, I think the Violin SE is better speaker. For me and my ears, so I'd recommend it for a listen. Their Cello might be more in line with the budget you have.

But what we know, or have heard enough to recommend for a listen, depends on what is available in our area. I can get Magico, or Revel, or Wilson, but haven't listened to them for any useful length of time. I can't get Beonicke, or Davone, or any number of other interesting brands. The SAM list includes a whole bunch of speakers I've never heard of, so who knows what I might be missing.

You haven't told us what speakers you have now, or what else you've heard that you liked. Give us a hint....

(23-Aug-2016, 19:05)Jwg1749 Wrote: I assume you're set on a floorstanding 3-way design. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Thks for the reply, listen i like very much the sf venere 2.5 and i m working out to change my set up position now for a more symetrical one, may be some bass traps and some acoustic solutions.I think i can get a lot better, sq wise from my dev200.I already checked out sam list, and most of the brands are not available in my region. I accord a lot of attention to the look and design of a speaker( of course sq is the first priority) . I understand that sam enhances speakers performance but i m restricted to few brands here wich i don t like! Sf olympica 3 was awesome sounding back in paris, and looks stunning , olympica 2 too, but my listening was quick though! I think my journey's gonna end towards sabrina s boat(wilson audio).I know it s a lot more budget but it is available here, and who knows i can meet a second hand seller.The look is perfect, and sound wise is what i m searching( life like sound, it s like to be there effect).
If i buy the olypmica 2 i can easily sell it later !
So.... Mmmmm .... Confusion confusion
It is tiring ...

Waouu, samsoum, i think if i had the chance and possibility to acquire Wilson Audio Sabrina i would go for them. Smile
(25-Aug-2016, 21:19)FDPDK Wrote: Waouu, samsoum, i think if i had the chance and possibility to acquire Wilson Audio Sabrina i would go for them. Smile

Hi fdpdk,
The chance yes, possibility may be, the budget not really,but i like them so much that i can create the funds if i found a good opportunity!