Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Software players and room correction for Devialet
Hello,

I'm new in this forum I follow with great interest. I live in France and drive a system based on computer audio (upgraded Mac Mini, Audirvana, Dirac room correction), class A amp and a pair of Thiel 3.7.

I've no Devialet yet but tried a D200 a couple of months ago at home : what a surprise using Air 3... ! I noticed a real improvement compared to Air older versions and to all the others Devialet inputs.

Before choosing what type of Devialet will suit my Thiel, taking into account the new Pro range arriving in September, I would like to be able to exploit Air 3 at its best and try or collect your experience with software players as Audirvana, Itunes, Roon, Pure Music, Jriver...

My goal is also to use Dirac Room correction in the system, that has been my best improvement for 2 years now. That's the only reason why I keep a dedicated computer as a source.
The best results I obtained on my system (using USB) were based on the use of Dirac AU Plugin with Audirvana (not the DAP).

Audirvana and Air 3 are unfortunately not working very well together. The main bug hangs the music when a sample rate change occurs.
Nevertheless, I succeded to make them work at 16/44 and the result was really outstanding with the benefit of Direct/exclusive Audirvana modes and Dirac work (frequency/phase correction). That was better than using USB input, but I didn't compare with ITunes or another player with Air 3.
I hope Air 3 final release will remove the bugs when combined with Audirvana.

Maybe some of you have compared other players with Air 3, with or without Dirac. As I can't explain how Air 3 is working, I don't know if the software player has an influence in the musical result. That's undoubtlessly true with USB between ITunes and Audirvana for iinstance, to Audirvana's benefit.

Regards,
I.
Hello Inox, and welcome to the mad-house Smile

I can whole-heartedly recommend Roon, and can confirm that it works 99.9% perfectly in combination with AIR3.

I have also had some success in adding Dirac RCS into the mixture. In my case, I have Roon on a NUC, and was RAATing to a Mac to apply Dirac and then out from the Mac via AIR.

It was stable, inasmuch as it did not hang or crash, but occasionally I would get sound 'artefacts' (stuttering etc.) especially, but not exclusively with hi-res files.

I raised this with Roon and Dirac, and they each said that in their experience, Roon and DLRCS worked together just fine, so I don't know where the blame lies. I saw no point in asking Devialet. Anyway, since I did not really want the Mac in the system, I stopped using it, but if Dirac finally release v1.2 for Windows I would try it again and see how it runs on the NUC.

Have fun.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Hello,

Thanks Zappydev for your experience. Mad house for mad people we are, yes... Big Grin !

As I noticed Dirac was even better using the (beta) Plugin (that is the case with Audirvana in my system), I wonder if Roon is able to use it instead of the DAP ?

Regards.
(28-Aug-2016, 10:58)Zappydev Wrote: I raised this with Roon and Dirac, and they each said that in their experience, Roon and DLRCS worked together just fine, so I don't know where the blame lies.

Mmmm, I don't think Dirac was working for everyone with Roon - not sure if you participated in this?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dirac-1...gain/10148

Dirac 1.2 for Windows still not available? That was ages ago the Mac version came out. I was finding Dirac very slow to respond to software issues, and they seemed busy doing hardware tie-up's. Another company overstretched in the software division perhaps?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I use roon/tidal and DIRAC
I use the miniDSP ddrc 22 hardware box
So its spdif from my source (squeezebox touch or usb to spdif) into the DDRC 22 ..AES out the DDRC 22 to the devialet
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room