Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Reviews
Interesting read 

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/08/29...i-is-here/
Makes me want another Silver Phantom.
And just as we already know, brilliant speakers, cr@p Spark.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(30-Aug-2016, 20:21)Silvertouran Wrote: Makes me want another Silver Phantom.

I'm very sure two of them is the minimum as most recordings are made for stereo, with three set up in a triangle you get a very nice dipole, thus increased 3D space. Steve Huff really brought to the point what I enjoy daily!
Even better, Spark has evolved since the latest update and the setup should now work smoothless in all households where the power outlet is on a single phase for Phantoms and Dialog such that Devialet's PLC functions.
(31-Aug-2016, 00:13)streamy Wrote:

I'm very sure two of them is the minimum as most recordings are made for stereo, with three set up in a triangle you get a very nice dipole, thus increased 3D space. Steve Huff really brought to the point what I enjoy daily!
Even better, Spark has evolved since the latest update and the setup should now work smoothless in all households where the power outlet is on a single phase for Phantoms and Dialog such that Devialet's PLC functions.

Can you explain the 3-speaker set-up? Are you saying that the third speaker would be deeper back and central relative to the two other speakers? Btw, nice find on a really detailed review!
(31-Aug-2016, 01:53)daveyjung Wrote:
(31-Aug-2016, 00:13)streamy Wrote:

Can you explain the 3-speaker set-up? Are you saying that the third speaker would be deeper back and central relative to the two other speakers? Btw, nice find on a really detailed review!

I can not speak for Phantoms and Spark as I do not have them, but for a classic three channel setup, playback of a stereo recording  would remove what is equal in L and R and send this to the center channel. After this is removed, Left would be L - R and Right R - L.
Three channel recordings (three microphones) where quite common in the late 50's and start of 60's. You can find SACDs with the original three channel content. And yes, the center speaker should have the same distance from the listener as the two main speakers.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(30-Aug-2016, 18:38)HJFB Wrote: Interesting read 

Is this true? Are they that good and it is the way to upgrade? rather than to a Pro, which I guess is what they embed inside the Golds.
(31-Aug-2016, 11:54)arcam Wrote:

Is this true? Are they that good and it is the way to upgrade? rather than to a Pro, which I guess is what they embed inside the Golds.

I am thinking like this too. €3500 to upgrade my 250 or around €5800 for a pair of Phantom Gold and a Dialog. I need new speakers anyway so this may be the way to do it.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(31-Aug-2016, 14:14)ogs Wrote:
(31-Aug-2016, 11:54)arcam Wrote:

I am thinking like this too. €3500 to upgrade my 250 or around €5800 for a pair of Phantom Gold and a Dialog. I need new speakers anyway so this may be the way to do it.

I thought they sounded decent when I demo'd them and would probably have considered selling my Expert and going Phantom, if:

a) Devialet hadn't upset me to the point I lost faith in the brand around that time
b) Spark wasn't dire and/or they embraced the use of external players (RoonReady anyone)
c) They had some alternate finishes
D) there weren't reports of stability issues.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(31-Aug-2016, 14:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(31-Aug-2016, 14:14)ogs Wrote:
(31-Aug-2016, 11:54)arcam Wrote: Is this true? Are they that good and it is the way to upgrade? rather than to a Pro, which I guess is what they embed inside the Golds.

I thought they sounded decent when I demo'd them and would probably have considered selling my Expert and going Phantom, if:

a) Devialet hadn't upset me to the point I lost faith in the brand around that time
b) Spark wasn't dire and/or they embraced the use of external players (RoonReady anyone)

I've been trying to find a way to use Phantoms without Dialog/Spark. I think Dialog lacks flexibility and for Spark... Your four points are just right.
Vincent Brient has said he would try to change code in the FPGA to enable L and R on separate toslink outputs on his reclocker. I'd have to buy it (or place a firm order), but Vincent would not charge me if he could not make it work. The Phantoms could then stay in 'Solo' mode and I'd use optical inputs with wifi, ethernet and PLC disabled. What I do not know is if the  remote can control volume of two Phantoms in solo mode.  The 69bit volume control of the Totaldac is of course good enough so I'm not without a volume control if the Devialet remote does not work. The Totaldac solution is definitely high-end, but rather pricey so I am still looking. USB from a microRendu and something to produce L+R optical is the goal
Devialetless!
(31-Aug-2016, 16:02)ogs Wrote:
(31-Aug-2016, 14:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(31-Aug-2016, 14:14)ogs Wrote: I am thinking like this too. €3500 to upgrade my 250 or around €5800 for a pair of Phantom Gold and a Dialog. I need new speakers anyway so this may be the way to do it.

I've been trying to find a way to use Phantoms without Dialog/Spark. I think Dialog lacks flexibility and for Spark... Your four points are just right.
Vincent Brient has said he would try to change code in the FPGA to enable L and R on separate toslink outputs on his reclocker. I'd have to buy it (or place a firm order), but Vincent would not charge me if he could not make it work. The Phantoms could then stay in 'Solo' mode and I'd use optical inputs with wifi, ethernet and PLC disabled. What I do not know is if the  remote can control volume of two Phantoms in solo mode.  The 69bit volume control of the Totaldac is of course good enough so I'm not without a volume control if the Devialet remote does not work. The Totaldac solution is definitely high-end, but rather pricey so I am still looking. USB from a microRendu and something to produce L+R optical is the goal

Interesting idea. Maybe something like a miniDSP box would be able to do that slightly less expensively?

Or a bit more expensive but perhaps one of the 'hot topic flavour of the month' boxes like a Rednet 3? It has something like 8 toslink outputs although not sure what controls they have for LR breakout - it's pro gear though so I'm sure they'd be able to give you a quick answer.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<