Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Ensemble System
(15-Oct-2014, 16:49)f1eng Wrote:
(08-Oct-2014, 13:29)ogs Wrote: The LS50s have a transparency in the midband that Q300 could never achieve, even with the best possible network components. I doubt that LS50 can give me the bass I want, even with SAM.
Reports for Devialet's Ensemble describe just

I believe that all SAMed speakers have the same bass frequency response specification to 25Hz, though I would imagine there is a big difference in the maximum loudness capability at 25Hz between the LS50 and bigger speakers!

Your comment made me think about bigger speakers which can go lower than 25hz. Will they be capped by SAM, or will they produce the lows without being benefitted by SAM? Very interesting...
Stereo: Sonus Faber Amati Futura - Graphite -> Yter Loudspeaker Cable -> Devialet D250 - Chrome -> LessLoss DFPC Orginal Powercord
Source: Mac Mini -> Devialet Air Ethernet
Control: iPad Air / iPhone 5S -> Apple Remote
(15-Oct-2014, 17:36)IGuardianI Wrote:
(08-Oct-2014, 13:29)ogs Wrote: The LS50s have a transparency in the midband that Q300 could never achieve, even with the best possible network components. I doubt that LS50 can give me the bass I want, even with SAM.

I believe that all SAMed speakers have the same bass frequency response specification to 25Hz, though I would imagine there is a big difference in the maximum loudness capability at 25Hz between the LS50 and bigger speakers!

Your comment made me think about bigger speakers which can go lower than 25hz. Will they be capped by SAM, or will they produce the lows without being benefitted by SAM? Very interesting...

Not at all. My AperturA Armonia we're going down 37Hz before being SAMed and are now going down 20Hz.

If you go to devialet.com/speakers and clic on a SAMed speaker you can see the lowest frequency before and after SAMing.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(15-Oct-2014, 18:31)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(15-Oct-2014, 17:36)IGuardianI Wrote:

Not at all. My AperturA Armonia we're going down 37Hz before being SAMed and are now going down 20Hz.

If you go to devialet.com/speakers and clic on a SAMed speaker you can see the lowest frequency before and after SAMing.

Jean-Marie

Thanks, haven't seen this page yet! Very interesting to see the impact of SAM on all those speakers. Another question solved Wink
Stereo: Sonus Faber Amati Futura - Graphite -> Yter Loudspeaker Cable -> Devialet D250 - Chrome -> LessLoss DFPC Orginal Powercord
Source: Mac Mini -> Devialet Air Ethernet
Control: iPad Air / iPhone 5S -> Apple Remote
(15-Oct-2014, 18:31)Jean-Marie Wrote: If you go to devialet.com/speakers and clic on a SAMed speaker you can see the lowest frequency before and after SAMing.

Jean-Marie

It would be nice if Devialet qualified these figures by stating the spl at which the quoted figures are measured, i.e. -3dBA or -6dBA or whatever. Looking at the figures, it looks as if -6dBA or possibly even lower is used, so a bit like the quoting power outputs a 6ohm when the rest of the world uses 8.
Yes indeed.... However, the difference between before and after can be assumed using the same spl.....
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(15-Oct-2014, 16:49)f1eng Wrote: I believe that all SAMed speakers have the same bass frequency response specification to 25Hz, though I would imagine there is a big difference in the maximum loudness capability at 25Hz between the LS50 and bigger speakers!

I will borrow the same pair of LS50 this weekend. This time the speakers will be broken in and I'll use them with SAM on my 250.

EDIT: updated

I had the LS50 in my system from Friday to Sunday. Sound is very nice, and clearly better now that the speakers are broken in. Even with SAM enabled I could not get the bass performance I want. With better placement in the room I believe I could get satisfactory results, but placement of speakers is pretty much locked and a room mode at 48Hz is very difficult to deal with.
I will be trying the GT1 SE soon. The GT1 will hopefully be a better match for my room.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(15-Oct-2014, 21:48)Confused Wrote:
(15-Oct-2014, 18:31)Jean-Marie Wrote: If you go to devialet.com/speakers and clic on a SAMed speaker you can see the lowest frequency before and after SAMing.

Jean-Marie

It would be nice if Devialet qualified these figures by stating the spl at which the quoted figures are measured, i.e. -3dBA or -6dBA or whatever. Looking at the figures, it looks as if -6dBA or possibly even lower is used, so a bit like the quoting power outputs a 6ohm when the rest of the world uses 8.

I know that the Atohm GT1s were measured at -3dBA. Below is the reference from the Devialet website. No idea about the other speakers that have received the SAM treatment.

Unique design by Devialet
Power handling : 100 Weff
Peak power : 200 W
Impedance : 6 ohms
Sensitivity level : 89dB/2.83V/1M
Frequency response with SAM : 25 Hz (- 3dB)
Cut-off frequency : 2,5 kHz
Atohm ZEF mini speaker cables
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(16-Oct-2014, 13:11)Flashman Wrote:
(15-Oct-2014, 21:48)Confused Wrote:

Jean-Marie

I know that the Atohm GT1s were measured at -3dBA. Below is the reference from the Devialet website. No idea about the other speakers that have received the SAM treatment.

Unique design by Devialet
Power handling : 100 Weff
Peak power : 200 W
Impedance : 6 ohms
Sensitivity level : 89dB/2.83V/1M
Frequency response with SAM : 25 Hz (- 3dB)
Cut-off frequency : 2,5 kHz
Atohm ZEF mini speaker cables

Although I have no other evidence than the principle of the Occam Razor I would then be enclined to think that this is the same -3dB for all speakers. I don't see a reason why they would change their protocols with the speakers, nor why they would use a more stringent norm for the Atohm speakers that they sell and less stringent for the other speakers.

/Jean-Marie
France
It's possible that the Atohm GT1's aren't capable of safely remaining flat at 25Hz - assuming a reasonable playing volume etc.

Not that I have any complaints about them,

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
(16-Oct-2014, 13:26)rik Wrote: It's possible that the Atohm GT1's aren't capable of safely remaining flat at 25Hz - assuming a reasonable playing volume etc.

Not that I have any complaints about them,

Rik

Rik,

I just found a sweeping sound test for low frequencies, going from 10 to 200Hz, accompanied by a voice announcing the incremental steps. I am going to try it with my GT1s, just for kicks. If I don't hear anything at 30Hz I will not be happy! The test runs in increments of 10 so I won't know about 25Hz. Ha!

Here is the link:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_fre...ecklow.php
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.