Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential New Owner
Hello All,

Bit of a newbie so apologies in advance.

I have the opportunity to get a good discounted deal on either a  le120 or le200, since the announcement of the newer "pro model"  This deal won't stick around long as the older model is replaced.

My question is, apart from a few specifications is there really much "sound" difference between 120 and 200. There was a comment on a thread which stated there wasn't, but no follow up opinion. 

Source will mainly be lossless files via mac mini and the amp will be pushing Kef LS50's in a room with approx dimensions of 6m x 3m x 2.4m (ceiling height). I listen to a very broad range of music including pop, rock, jazz, old school hip hop, classical.

I have demoed Le200 with said speakers at the store and i am thoroughly impressed, but was wondering if i really need to spend the extra (2,100GBP/ 2800USD) price difference for Le200. Especially since I'm not a experienced audiophile.

I shall return and ask for a demo with le120 side by side with le200 but i thought i would ask the experts first!

Reason for buying Devialet, is i have quite simply been blown away with the performance when comparing Amplifiers for my KEF LS50. The SAM Processing really makes these speakers heard!  Nothing came even close.

regards

Tom
(07-Sep-2016, 10:37)kirky Wrote: Hello All,

Bit of a newbie so apologies in advance.

I have the opportunity to get a good discounted deal on either a  le120 or le200, since the announcement of the newer "pro model"  This deal won't stick around long as the older model is replaced.

My question is, apart from a few specifications is there really much "sound" difference between 120 and 200. There was a comment on a thread which stated there wasn't, but no follow up opinion. 

Source will mainly be lossless files via mac mini and the amp will be pushing Kef LS50's in a room with approx dimensions of 6m x 3m x 2.4m (ceiling height). I listen to a very broad range of music including pop, rock, jazz, old school hip hop, classical.

I have demoed Le200 with said speakers at the store and i am thoroughly impressed, but was wondering if i really need to spend the extra (2,100GBP/ 2800USD) price difference for Le200. Especially since I'm not a experienced audiophile.

I shall return and ask for a demo with le120 side by side with le200 but i thought i would ask the experts first!

Reason for buying Devialet, is i have quite simply been blown away with the performance when comparing Amplifiers for my KEF LS50. The SAM Processing really makes these speakers heard!  Nothing came even close.

regards

Tom

Don't forget that with the 120, you get two less inputs (and 80 less watts). On the other hand, you could buy the 120 and upgrade it to a 220 Pro.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hi Kirky,

There have been a few posts regarding any audible differences between the D120 and D200. I bought the D120 as I did not need the extra power or inputs. It is my personal opinion that the two amps are sonically the same. If you have speakers that need the extra power, then there may be an advantage for the D200, in capability terms, of driving more difficult speakers, especially at higher volumes. That could affect the sound. I have heard both, and to me, they sound the same. Please understand that this is my opinion only, not a blanket claim of absolute fact.

However, I recall a post from many months ago (but I don't recall from whom) which said that they felt their small speakers, I think the Ensemble Athom GT1 or the KEF LS50, sounded much better with the D200 than the D120. So there is that contingent, certainly.

At this point, however, could you wait for the D220 Pro? Mind you, I think the D120 is a steal, especially at the currently reduced prices. So, the D120 is a stunning bargain if you don't need the power or inputs. The D200 is good too if you do. But all things considered, the D220 Pro may give you a better long term product, or level of satisfaction. I am not a frequent shopper or box-swopper, so if I was buying again, and had the money, I'd likely try for the new amp. Of course, I say this without ever having heard it....

Just my 3 cents.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I think Damon's advice is spot on. My C1's need power and the increase from 170 to 200 made quite a difference to me. Small, low sensitivity speakers love a little extra power. In your case though, you could go 120 first and if you feel you need more power, upgrade to 220Pro. There's not much between 200 or upgraded 120 going on the prices you quote in your post.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
thanks guys!

May i ask where you live and what the current discount pricing on 120/200 are??

I am actually based in Thailand where we have incredibly high import taxes on non asian brands (considered luxury items). I managed to negotiate a discount based on the fact that the Pro is coming out. Thailand rarely gives huge discounts due to the amount of import tax that they have had to occur. This is true of anything imported. I'm now getting something inline with Hong Kong discount prices, which is quite incredible.

I did do a search on both amps comparison, for me budget wise the 200 is quite a jump but i think i will go back and listen side by side.

The new expert pro 220 is not even an option for me as the prices here will be phenomenal. Think +30/40% more than UK/US pricing.

There is no information/ pricing currently regarding the Pro or when it will arrive here as i think for the high end audiophile in Thailand, they prefer other brands.
whatever you get , get preamp outputs.. a sub is vital to get the best out of ls50's
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Rodney feels preamp output is vital, especially with the LS50, and that is a point worth considering if you feel you will need more bottom end oomph. Mind you, his system likely has unusually complete bass performance. Off the shelf, Pre out means a D200 at a minimum. But there are plenty of owners here with the LS50 who seem to be quite content the the bass performance and SAM. I think (guess, sort of recall) that a pre out board for a D120 is about $500.00. I can't say whose dollars that would be. Maybe something you buy on a trip abroad in the future? So, if you feel the D120 is as far as you can go, you can always get a pre out board later. I believe it is a relatively simple install, and one that you could do yourself.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for all your feedback guys, looks like the deal is a good one so I'm going to go for the D200 with some Nordost Speaker Cable thrown in to seal the deal.

@ Rodney Gold what Sub should i consider? Kef?
(10-Sep-2016, 08:48)kirky Wrote: Thanks for all your feedback guys, looks like the deal is a good one so I'm going to go for the D200 with some Nordost Speaker Cable thrown in to seal the deal.

@ Rodney Gold what Sub should i consider?  Kef?

I ran my LS50's with twin SVS SB13 ultras.. but they might be overkill
I would suggest twin SVS sb1000/2000
2 subs is always better than 1 in respect of smoothing the rooms response
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
IMHO there is no reason to get the le200 right now. Get le120 and after 6months or a year upgrade to 220pro. note that the price of upgrade from le120 and le200 to 220pro is exactly the same so if your end state is 220pro then the price difference between le120 and le220 is completely lost.