Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom D200 sales advice needed
Thought I'd run this by the forum before actually listing it at Audiogon. Many here will remember this unit as it took several months to complete and likely/maybe remains to this day the most extensively DIY modified DXXX here. Incredible benefits in both SQ & cooling! Virtually adjustable cooling from 60C to sub 30C. Stupid-efficient German thermal transfer media that's over 70X more efficient than OEM. Completely 100% non-magnetic internals replaced all factory magnetic hardware. 100% of factory finish stripped top/bottom inside & out. Soda blasted and black anodized inside & out, top and bottom. PEM removed and replaced with rhodium-plated Furutech IEC. Wired with top-of-the-line Crystal Cable pure silver/gold leads. WBT 0710 pure silver speaker terminals.

Unit has operated perfectly since finished... nary hiccup... EVER! Aesthetics are PERFECT/MINT... no flaws even under intense lighting and magnification! 100% of everything unit came with will ship with machine

My question to you guys is whatta ya think this unit is worth? I'm reluctant to offer here as both my dealer and the Canadian Importer I purchased this from on May 27 last year have both seen this unit and given me the full 5 year warranty which would likely go away completely if the unit were to go to Europe/Asia. And while I have complete confidence in it I'd hate for someone else to need warranty and not be able to get it simply by virtue of their address.

There was tons of info and pics written and shared here when this work was going on so for those that just might want to know more can easily dig up those old posts with all the facts, details and pictures. Additionally I have 14 years of "perfect/flawless" feedback of both OEM and DIY modified hardware at Audiogon.

Thanks in advance for any/all help!!!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Manoet,

why selling it? Why not updating it and applying the original parts before?

The update might give an oustanding performance when the mods come back into the PRO then.

...and if you've not allready done this mod http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3798 it would bring the performance of a D220 PRO even further by a great margin. 

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Selling to move on, ie; D'Agostino. Reluctant to modify existing unit further/differently as I'm left with little more than future explanation and quantifying at a sale down the road. No benefit to going back to OEM as once modified there's no unringing the bell in this case since upgrading isn't a consideration on my part. This is far from just reinstalling a few original parts modification! Wouldn't fool Devialet or anyone else! Think of the PEMectomy, non-magnetic fasteners, stand-offs et al, thermal sheeting, soda blasting, Furutec IEC inlet, speaker binding posts, anodizing and ventilation. Even if successfully accomplished it would just sound worse than it does today, run warmer with an accompanying shorter electronic component life expectancy and additionally be even "more" modified since I would divulge its entire history regardless... not my nature to withhold that kind of info by omission.

Far better I'm truthful, stand behind my claims of improved SQ over OEM performance to new buyer, offer the remaining factory 3.5 year warranty, take $500-$1k hit and go peacefully into the night.. Its a philosophy that's served me well for decades.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Sounds like a seriously well sorted amp, and I'm sure that the lucky new owner would be over the moon with it. However, Do you think Devialet would honour the guarantee? I doubt it somehow.

Good luck, Manoet. I hope you enjoy your D'Agostino.

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Alex-

After this amp was completed I was invited to RMAF last year to meet with both my US dealer and the Canadian importer in a private room at the show. After multiple representatives of dealer/importer and others seeing the amp at "their" invitation all importer/dealer representatives assured me they would cover any warranty issues over the original warranty period. Since nothing has gone awry interimly there's been no opportunity to confirm that. Due to my long relationship with both I'm doubtful they'd intentionally lie to me regarding warranty or try to skirt any potential problem as it pertains to warranty. What I'm less sure of is if Devialet would accept this unit for upgrade to Pro (or other) conversion status. This was all disclosed here at Devialet Chat via post after that RMAF meeting a year ago. While I'm comfy with warranty issues being covered cost-wise to me or next owner regardless of if Devialet/importer/dealer actually covers them I am compelled/obliged to mention to any buyer the situation related to warranty vs upgrade prior to sale.
(19-Dec-2016, 15:00)Manoet Wrote: Alex-

After this amp was completed I was invited to RMAF last year to meet with both my US dealer and the Canadian importer in a private room at the show. After multiple representatives of dealer/importer and others seeing the amp at "their" invitation all importer/dealer representatives assured me they would cover any warranty issues over the original warranty period. Since nothing has gone awry interimly there's been no opportunity to confirm that. Due to my long relationship with both I'm doubtful they'd intentionally lie to me regarding warranty or try to skirt any potential problem as it pertains to warranty. What I'm less sure of is if Devialet would accept this unit for upgrade to Pro (or other) conversion status. This was all disclosed here at Devialet Chat via post after that RMAF meeting a year ago. While I'm comfy with warranty issues being covered cost-wise to me or next owner regardless of if Devialet/importer/dealer actually covers them I am compelled/obliged to mention to any buyer the situation related to warranty vs upgrade prior to sale.

Ah, OK. If they've seen the amp and are prepared to guarantee it, then obviously, you're covered. Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
To answer the original question, before the Pro upgrade I would have been very excited to buy these, but things changed with the Pro improvements and promised streamer board. Now I'd value them as maybe a $1k premium over stock used units. I personally wouldn't be concerned about the warranty because if you have it then the next owner probably would too, but you could always offer to help if there is any problem.