Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY wiring of RCA-to-XLR umbilical cable
(11-Feb-2017, 09:34)Confused Wrote: With the question of protocol unanswered, it is not clear if the proposed Mutec solution would work.  Something like this offers a simpler alternative:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ae...nsformers/
http://www.canford.co.uk/Index/110-75-oh...converters

I did talk to Devialet's Mathieu Pernod about the optimum solution to the master companion link.  At first he stated that there was basically no difference between the AES/EBU connection and using RCA, but after more detailed discussion he did advise that RCA to AES/EBU connection with a transformer was the optimum solution.  I'm thinking you could try something like the Neutrik transformer with cheap cables as proof of concept.  If this works satisfactorily, then you could get a decent custom cable made with transformer.

There is a very simple solution of course, link using the RCA to RCA method.  NickB has already advised this works without issue.  Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best?  Although I think personally I would try the transformer method, if only out of curiosity, it would be cheap and easy enough to do.

I have a Neutrik and a Canare here. The Neutrik is a NADITBNC-MX, the Canare a BCJ-XP-TRC. I used these to connect a Squeezebox Touch to the AES/EBU input of the D-Premier/250. The Neutrik is by far the most neutral sounding of the two. I used this cable http://www.l-com.com/audio-video-rg179-c...male-15-ft   between Touch and transformer (cut it and soldered a RCA plug). I also tried a 1m DH Labs D-110 cable between the transformer and amplifier. Worked very well.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
My thinking was that if you're going to drive quite long cables, then a passive solution (transformer) might not give enough oomph to keep the signals looking clean at the far end. All in favour of a cheap solution if it works, though!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Feb-2017, 20:41)rafal123 Wrote: Still no luck.

Tried 3m cable from DH Labs - doesnt work. Great guys though, very responsive and thoughtful.

Contacted Audioprana - they will not make a 3m cable (too long).

Impedance mismatch is causing problems with longer cables. Apparently the higher the frequency the more signal reflections you get, therefore at 192khz sampling rate companion channel goes silent.

I'm using a 3.5m long RCA-RCA shielded Vovox cable between my 1000PRO Master/Companion and it works very well, even with 24/192 files. I just added a 3m cheap cooper tube for the Vovox in between the two amps. But I don't know if this really help.
Furniture: USM Acoustic
Audio: Devialet 1000PRO - Mac Mini 2012, I7, Uptone DC conversion/Linear fan controle - Internal SSD - CD/BR LaCie BDXL (rip) - USB Regen - Uptone JS-2 Linear power supply - HD LaCie Thunderbolt
Power: Isotek Aquarius - Vovox power cable
Loudspeakers: Marten Django XL - Vovox Textura LS
I tried a 4 meter rca to aes on my d440 and it worked for awhile. It has recently stopped working.

No sound at all. I will try 4 meter rca to rca. Hope it works.
[size=x-small]D1000pro, Sonus Faber Amati anniversary, siltech ls88 cables, direct tv, Apple TV, Xbox, Sony projector.

Second system.. d440pro, Sonus Faber Cremona speakers, Mitchell gyro se turntable with cadenza blue, direct tv, Apple TV , sunfire subwoofer, Sony tv.

Third system... d-premier, Opera sp2 speakers , direct tv, Apple TV , Xbox, Sony tv.
Hello, in order to comply with the technical data of the AES/EBU standard (mismatch, interference, etc.) it is absolutely necessary to use a cable with 2 inner conductors and a screen!
Picture 2 is ok!

A cable as an example:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria