Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Jan The Alpha Audio - Live Test Wireless Speakers (including Phantom 108dB)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd7Ohv5i9-E

Very interesting comparison between  KAD K7, Devialet Phantom I 108, Buchardt A500, System Audio 5.2 Silverback

The reviewers do not like Phantom's vocal presentation but I still hear Phantom wins in the lows. Buchardt is quite balance but I hear the vocal is further away. They said the vocal is incredibly good for KAD K7.

Would like to hear more comments. Rolleyes
(21-Jan-2022, 00:56)fb24601 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd7Ohv5i9-E

Very interesting comparison between  KAD K7, Devialet Phantom I 108, Buchardt A500, System Audio 5.2 Silverback

The reviewers do not like Phantom's vocal presentation but I still hear Phantom wins in the lows. Buchardt is quite balance but I hear the vocal is further away. They said the vocal is incredibly good for KAD K7.

Would like to hear more comments. Rolleyes

They found Buchardt more coharent, balanced. When the price of it is compared with KADs, they found the performance/price ratio of it better but they accept that KADs are in general better sounding more relaxed speakers(but with much higher cost).  Devialet Phantoms are accepted to be the right speakers maybe for "home parties"(they thought that the target audience might be somehow different Smile ) and overall, it was the worst of these speakers according to them(for sound comparison; not the technical details)..System Audio is found to be appropriate especially for small rooms in this comparison. As a result, after watching this video, anyone may think that Phantoms have more way to go and Buchardt is worth every penny(a better sounding active speakers for the value among these ones).
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2
Devialet Phantom 108dB is the best among them playing the first track Jacques Loussier Little Fugue in G Minor, which is a small band instrumental piece (jazz trio).

For the second track the vocal piece The Lies of Handsome Man, the voice of the singer Marnie Baumer out of Phantom should have been affected by the extra bass tuning, in fact when using the new voice mode of the equalizer the result should be different. In fact the pianist Yung also mentioned the detail of the piano should have been in excess than ordinary, which may the the sound tuning "character" of Phantom. This "trying to impress character" can explain the performance during the third track the symphony.

I personally always think Phantom should be best among instrumental jazz and the equalizer voice mode should indeed be "neutral" and its flat mode should indeed be "heavy bass" to non Phantom users. Using voice mode listening to vocal tracks should be a good way and hope the remote control can be adapted for switching.
The real issue is that phantoms are one of the very few truly full range speakers capable of delivering real bass at significant SPL, which people are not used to.

Therefore, most ears and brains are skewed towards dynamic compression when it comes to basses and when exposed to ‘the real thing’ they don’t recognize it as such.

My two cents,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France