Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
the new D220 received!
(26-Sep-2016, 22:00)Ibexman Wrote: Much better bass control. Tighter and less boomy.
I can hear new (...) instruments in my well known music.

If there has been no lack of anything, it was bass controll so far.
Nothing boomy at all. It´s hard to imagine a more controlled bass than I have today.
But OK. Might be.

But: The ´old´ Experts musst be poor amps not showing all instruments ;-)
(27-Sep-2016, 06:48)Nightmare Wrote:
(26-Sep-2016, 22:00)Ibexman Wrote: Much better bass control. Tighter and less boomy.
I can hear new (...) instruments in my well known music.

If there has been no lack of anything, it was bass controll so far.
Nothing boomy at all. It´s hard to imagine a more controlled bass than I have today.
But OK. Might be.

But: The ´old´ Experts musst be poor amps not showing all instruments ;-)

Never heard a D120 in my setup, but maybe the extra power of the D220 Pro controls the lower registers better. Doesn't sound impossible to me. The D200 did sound more controlled in many sets than a D120 depending on speakers driven. Might be more interesting to compare D220 Pro to a D200 to get a more fair comparison.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
The real comparison yes. Listen to a 200 and switch to a 220. Same for 400 to 440. In situ is the only way.
Some pro will do it.
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
I'm hoping to see an in-depth discussion of the 220 Pro compared to the 200 and the 220 Pro compared to a 400.   In other words, should I upgrade my 200 to a 220 Pro or by a 200 Companion instead?     

Unfortunately, it seems my local dealer is no more so it seems I will either need to take a very long field trip once 220 Pros are in greater abundance in the US or live vicariously through what you all think so I can make a reasoned decision.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(27-Sep-2016, 21:47)mdconnelly Wrote: I'm hoping to see an in-depth discussion of the 220 Pro compared to the 200 and the 220 Pro compared to a 400.   In other words, should I upgrade my 200 to a 220 Pro or by a 200 Companion instead?

I have a D250 and the answer from the Devialet guy to this question was very clear: companion. He said, he would not upgrade but go for another unit to get a real improvement of soundquality.

Disadvantages:

- no streaming board in 2017 (or later)
- software may not be optimized for non pro modells any longer (no one knows)
- no slim and smart solution any longer (and I like my single D250)
(28-Sep-2016, 07:27)Nightmare Wrote:
(27-Sep-2016, 21:47)mdconnelly Wrote: I'm hoping to see an in-depth discussion of the 220 Pro compared to the 200 and the 220 Pro compared to a 400.   In other words, should I upgrade my 200 to a 220 Pro or by a 200 Companion instead?

I have a D250 and the answer from the Devialet guy to this question was very clear: companion. He said, he would not upgrade but go for another unit to get a real improvement of soundquality.

Disadvantages:

- no streaming board in 2017 (or later)
- software may not be optimized for non pro modells any longer (no one knows)
- no slim and smart solution any longer (and I like my single D250)

An interesting comment from the Devialet guy, but can you provide a little context here?  Do you know if this opinion is based on general listening with various systems or if he has performed some direct A/B comparisons?  If so, was this 250 Pro vs 1000 Pro, 220 Pro vs 400, what system and in particular speakers was he using?  I suspect the final results could be very system (speaker) dependant, so a little bit of context would be very useful here.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
That´s what he said, when I asked for my system. Not to upgrade my D250 but go for another D250 to use dual mono for a better sound quality. And yes, it was his personally impression/opinion.

And of course one should test it with his own speakers in his room.
Would never buy anything without any audition.

By the way: most of the users posted here that they signed for the upgrade for a lot of bugs did that without listening to a Pro before personally. Absolutely incredible to me, as I would never spent so much money in a system never really listened to before.
Also for me, same idea with my D200.
I'll go for another D200 for a better sound quality.

I'm fully in agreement about to listen the new D***(*) Pro before to do the upgrade.
We aren't speaking of an upgrade that cost like candies...
                                                                                          DD SYSTEM
                  SPEAKERS : Bowers Wilkins 802 D3 ---- ELECTRONIC : Devialet 200 (upgrade to Devialet 400 -2016-)
                            SOURCE : Aries Auralic ----- LOADSPEAKERS CABLES : Straightwire Crescendo 2*2,4mt
                 SOURCE CABLE : Audioquest USB Carbon ----- POWER : Ps Audio AC3 ---- REMOTE CONTROL : Ipad Mini

The upgrade deal is, I guess, only "instantly good value" for us 120 owners. Seems I got really luck this time... Once I got used to having a Devialet I always regretted not buying a 200 in the first place.

If the past is any indication the upgrade program will continue for a long time, maybe even years. There should probably be good time to see if the new streaming technology is worth the upgrade or not. For now it´s all just a promise. And let´s be honest, Devialet hasn´t exactly been steller in keeping their release timelines. Wasn´t the unified ecosystem for Phantom/Expert originally coming shortly after the Phantom series launch?
Come on Ibexman and others - are the differences in sq so small that You are still trying to figure them out? At least Oxford Audio twitters from the comparison between 200 and 220 that there is a difference, but Nottingham more...
Today my 120 arrived in Paris and I'm quite curious what I'll receive...!?
220 PRO/CI, Martin Logan Montis, HMS Gran Finale MK II, FritzBox 7590, Audirvana via USB, Tidal Hifi, - South Germany