Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Configurator
(30-Sep-2016, 06:37)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(30-Sep-2016, 01:40)Wdw Wrote:
(29-Sep-2016, 20:16)Confused Wrote: .........To be honest, I am very surprised at the very low number of posts so far from anyone who has had a decent audition of the Pro, here's hoping this improves soon!

Agree with your last comment...where are the follow up posts to the dealers that quickly posted that the new stock had arrived, mid-month, but no posts with any comments and comparisons following?  Odd!

Maybe the dealers are all on holiday, flush with the influx of upgrade deposits...... Wink

We should have one thread for all these posts concerning the PRO series....sems there are posts sprinkled throughout the site on many differing threads and topics.
(29-Sep-2016, 20:16)Confused Wrote: Are there any comments on this forum that suggests that the new Expert hardware is not much better than the old models?  There are indeed a few comments speculating that going dual mono would yield better results than upgrading a single Devialet to Pro spec.  However, it does just look like speculation, I am not aware of anyone who has put a new spec Pro head to head with an old spec dual mono.  In fact, the truth may be more complicated than a simple which is best.  Maybe dual mono will come out on top with hard to drive speakers but not with easy to drive models. Maybe bass quality will be better with dual monos but mid range detail better with a single Pro.  Who knows until we get a statistically significant number of decent reports.  All I know is that the 1000 Pro significantly outperformed a D800 with one particular type of speaker.  However, the level of performance from the Pro does lead me to suspect that the old dual mono versus new single Pro might not be 100% in favour of the dual mono, but until a few folk take part in sensible head to head comparison all this remains speculation.

To be honest, I am very surprised at the very low number of posts so far from anyone who has had a decent audition of the Pro, here's hoping this improves soon!

I had a single D200 with my Wilson Sasha's and auditioned a D250 (to replace my D200) and another D200 (to make a D400).
Hands down in my living room there was no comparison the D400 was streets ahead of the D250 in transparency, grip,dynamics and leading edge. The 250 in the context of my system had a much more laid back presentation I even preferred my single 200 which had a much more upfront sound which I like (everyone to their own). So I plumped for the additional D200 which then completely outperformed the D250 it was like chalk and cheese. It just gives you more of the same. On simple acoustic / female vocals the difference is not night and day but switch to some juicy rock / busy tracks and boy the second D200 comes through loud and clear! (more seperation, better defined bass notes and control, more presence and weight)

But then surely it should shouldn't it ........? 

Two power supplies, 400 watts per channel against 250, a mono blocks for each speaker ? Which is why I will find it very hard to believe a 220 pro will outperform a D400 for the reasons stated above. Of course the reviews and hyperbole will allude to exactly that but until i hear it my D400 will remain.
I think the sweetspot still in the whole range is the D400 I can understand the comments on here when people have upgraded from D400 to D800 they are not overwhelmed with the difference in sound.
I stress the above comments are in the context of my own system in my listening room. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience when upgrading from a D200 ?
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
(01-Oct-2016, 10:29)egg1dog Wrote:
(29-Sep-2016, 20:16)Confused Wrote: Are there any comments on this forum that suggests that the new Expert hardware is not much better than the old models?  There are indeed a few comments speculating that going dual mono would yield better results than upgrading a single Devialet to Pro spec.  However, it does just look like speculation, I am not aware of anyone who has put a new spec Pro head to head with an old spec dual mono.  In fact, the truth may be more complicated than a simple which is best.  Maybe dual mono will come out on top with hard to drive speakers but not with easy to drive models. Maybe bass quality will be better with dual monos but mid range detail better with a single Pro.  Who knows until we get a statistically significant number of decent reports.  All I know is that the 1000 Pro significantly outperformed a D800 with one particular type of speaker.  However, the level of performance from the Pro does lead me to suspect that the old dual mono versus new single Pro might not be 100% in favour of the dual mono, but until a few folk take part in sensible head to head comparison all this remains speculation.

To be honest, I am very surprised at the very low number of posts so far from anyone who has had a decent audition of the Pro, here's hoping this improves soon!

I had a single D200 with my Wilson Sasha's and auditioned a D250 (to replace my D200) and another D200 (to make a D400).
Hands down in my living room there was no comparison the D400 was streets ahead of the D250 in transparency, grip,dynamics and leading edge. The 250 in the context of my system had a much more laid back presentation I even preferred my single 200 which had a much more upfront sound which I like (everyone to their own). So I plumped for the additional D200 which then completely outperformed the D250 it was like chalk and cheese. It just gives you more of the same. On simple acoustic / female vocals the difference is not night and day but switch to some juicy rock / busy tracks and boy the second D200 comes through loud and clear! (more seperation, better defined bass notes and control, more presence and weight)

But then surely it should shouldn't it ........? 

Two power supplies, 400 watts per channel against 250, a mono blocks for each speaker ? Which is why I will find it very hard to believe a 220 pro will outperform a D400 for the reasons stated above. Of course the reviews and hyperbole will allude to exactly that but until i hear it my D400 will remain.
I think the sweetspot still in the whole range is the D400 I can understand the comments on here when people have upgraded from D400 to D800 they are not overwhelmed with the difference in sound.
I stress the above comments are in the context of my own system in my listening room. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience when upgrading from a D200 ?

I believe the Sasha's do like power, so what you are saying makes perfect sense.  It's worth noting that Devialet's Matteiu Pernot is of the opinion that a D400 should outperform a D250.

OK, it's yet more speculation, but the reason I think a 220 Pro might be able to outperform a D400 is because of the superior ADH implementation, which provides more detail and resolution.  Clearly a 220 Pro will be less powerful than a D400, so if your speakers (or volume levels!) need power then the D400 is probably the way to go, but I think this one could swing both ways depending on speaker type and listening preferences.  Anyway, I believe there are quite a few 220's at the dealers now, hopefully some brave folk will venture out to try this for real.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12