Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linking D250, 200 and 120?
I have a 4-way speakers and I'm thinking of fully activate those. Efficiency on drivers variates from 95db/w to 113db/w so I would like to use different power level amp for different drivers. And active crossovers would be done by Devialet(s).

Do you know if this is possible? If yes, how?
(17-Sep-2016, 07:32)Waiski Wrote: I have a 4-way speakers and I'm thinking of fully activate those. Efficiency on drivers variates from 95db/w to 113db/w so I would like to use different power level amp for different drivers. And active crossovers would be done by Devialet(s).

Do you know if this is possible? If yes, how?

Yes it is. Devialet do shows with the B&W Nautilus that way. Nobody seems to be sure whether or not there's an active x-over somewhere in the chain though. What we do know is that the amplifiers have always been D200's.

Just curious, what speakers are you planning this with?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Maybe I need to write to Devialet about this issue.

My speakers are JBL 4345 and are at the moment bi-amped. I would like to try quad-ampping  Cool.
Thats not an optimal solution..
Use something like a miniDSP 4x10hd which is way more potent as a 4 way active crossover than the dvialet and any 4 power amps of your choice
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Thank you for your input. Could you explain a bit what are the differences here? MiniDSP vs. Devialet. Why is the MiniDSP better choice? Of course miniDSP+some D-class amps would be cheaper but the quality is the most important here.
Devialet allows far less control over splitting the signal , equalization and so forth , in fact its primitive compared to the 4x10 or like device when it comes to a dsp crossover...
The power amp side of things does not have to be class d , you could mix and match , valve , class d , class AB etc...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I read miniDSP 4x10HD's manual and you are absolutely right.

But. I have heard that Devialet does also some kind a loudspeaker specific crossovers but I can't find information about that. Maybe I need to write to Devialet if this is true or not.
Found from Devialet's web page...

"Each Devialet in a multi-unit set up must have a dedicated configuration, specifying its role and expected behavior in the chain. The online configuration-tool currently allows you to prepare or edit the necessary configuration files for a two Devialet set-up. Note that each time you modify the master configuration, you must update the slave configuration as well. For set-ups involving more than two Devialet, please submit a new request to our customer care team, we will provide you with the custom configuration files."

So need to contact Devialet.
I wouldnt hold my breath waiting Smile
Big difference is that you can change any setting with minidsp in real time , IE as you listening
A change of any parameter using devialets will mean a new configuration .. a total pain in the butt.
It would be easy to take the 4 stereo channels output of the miniDSP and feed it to 4 devialet amps. doing that , you make the devialets , whose strength is a do it all package , into expensive power amps.