Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes to my system
Hey all, thought I'd share a pic of the latest additions and changes to my system;

I upgraded from D800's to Od'A a few months ago and have been really pleased with the improvements they brought, and the more hours on them the better they seem to get.

Also after an extended period of procrastination, I replaced my Magico S5's with Wilson Sasha II's. I admired the Magico's greatly, but never loved them and in contrast there is something about the presentation of the Wilson's that has always appealed. I did have to go back and forwards to do auditions a few times before finally making a decision, and now with the speakers in my room I'm delighted with how they perform. Clearly everything is running in, but the change in stereo imaging and the dynamics are immediate.

One of the facinating learnings for me is that even as a group of audiophiles who have a common persuit of audio excellence and also in this forum, we share a central component from one manufacturer, how individual our tastes still end up being. I've auditioned many speakers in this price range and a number purely from looking at peoples profiles on this forum; SF's, Kef Blades I & II, Magico S3, S5 and it is incredible how differently they present music. 

In this light, an entirely unsolicited recommendation for Oxford Audio Consultants. Jon has done what the name says - consult - he has patiently helped me work through my audio preferences and find the right solution for me.  He and Pedro from A/S spent also spent several hours painstaking moving very heavy speakers back and forward, in some cases only a few cm's at a time to optimise their performance in my room. Their absolute (no pun intended) commitment to getting the sound right, and not leaving until they were completely satisfied is fantastic.

I've got a bit of work to do on the acoustics of the room, but corner bass traps, and ceiling mounted absorption panels are on the way should add the last few % of goodness.

As a final note from the picture, with the addition of a Lehle DI box, my system also makes a fantastic 1kw bass rig. Its also only slightly less practical for gigging than an Ampeg SVT and 8x10.

Qobuz, Audirvana Plus, Mac Mini, Original d'Atelier #56, Wilson Sasha II's, PS Audio P10 Powerplant, Transparent Ref XL MM2 speaker cables, Transparent Ref power cables,  Audioquest Diamond Ethernet
(06-Oct-2016, 11:54)dbilling64 Wrote: One of the facinating learnings for me is that even as a group of audiophiles who have a common persuit of audio excellence and also in this forum, we share a central component from one manufacturer, how individual our tastes still end up being. I've auditioned many speakers in this price range and a number purely from looking at peoples profiles on this forum; SF's, Kef Blades I & II, Magico S3, S5 and it is incredible how differently they present music. 

This fascinates me too!  You can find endless debate on this forum about stuff like firmware versions, with many folk agreeing that firmware 7.1.3 is far better than any of the firmware 8, 9, or 10 varieties, and even agreeing why 7.1.3 is better.  Then you look at speaker choice, and the respective speakers are massively different.  Genuinely fascinating.  (I have no problem with the firmware debate by the way, I have been involved with such posts myself)

The silvery speaker / goldy amp combo looks terrific buy the way.  Most of all though, I love the bass amp concept.  Very cool!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Fantastic! Good to see another proud Sasha 2 owner.  Smile Nice speaker cables too Wink

Lucky you getting the Pedro/AS treatment. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Also, check out the O'dA projected images shown on the back wall in the picture. Quite neat!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(06-Oct-2016, 18:11)Confused Wrote: Also, check out the O'dA projected images shown on the back wall in the picture.  Quite neat!

I know but dont you think it looks a bit like the Magico logo - Feels a bit disloyal now  Rolleyes

Qobuz, Audirvana Plus, Mac Mini, Original d'Atelier #56, Wilson Sasha II's, PS Audio P10 Powerplant, Transparent Ref XL MM2 speaker cables, Transparent Ref power cables,  Audioquest Diamond Ethernet
Lovely looking setup. Love the minimalist room, with the guitar pulling it back from audiophile land.

You could have a pretty decent 'Back to the Future' moment there, with those amps at +10!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Really nice! Dream set as far as I am concerned.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
Lovely looking silver wilsons & the O'A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(06-Oct-2016, 17:22)GuillaumeB Wrote: Fantastic! Good to see another proud Sasha 2 owner.  Smile Nice speaker cables too Wink

Lucky you getting the Pedro/AS treatment. 

Guillaume

Thanks..yes cables may be my next stop. You were using previous version transparent prior to your current versions? Worthy upgrade?
Nice looking system, so minimal. Wink Wink Wink

Now its time to change your signature to reflect the changes.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.