Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson Audio Sabrina
(26-Feb-2016, 22:43)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I demod the Sabrinas at a dealer and wasn't sure what to make of them, but it was unfamiliar surroundings. In his opinion, having demod them earlier that day on a hefty class A (can't remember other than it being incredibly expensive) the D200 didn't have the power to make them sing.

I would have to get by with the D200, but as we all know there's a easy solution there as well that only requires emptying the wallet a little more.   Confused
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(26-Feb-2016, 23:12)Dr Tone Wrote:
(26-Feb-2016, 22:43)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I demod the Sabrinas at a dealer and wasn't sure what to make of them, but it was unfamiliar surroundings. In his opinion, having demod them earlier that day on a hefty class A (can't remember other than it being incredibly expensive) the D200 didn't have the power to make them sing.

I would have to get by with the D200, but as we all know there's a easy solution there as well that only requires emptying the wallet a little more.   Confused

Well, their room was big, and the Speakers were new to them, so.... I'm sure it would be OK.
Still, Guilaume hasn't handed over the 800 yet by the sounds of it so might be able to get in there with a gazumping offer.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(26-Feb-2016, 23:20)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Well, their room was big, and the Speakers were new to them, so.... I'm sure it would be OK.
Still, Guilaume hasn't handed over the 800 yet by the sounds of it so might be able to get in there with a gazumping offer.

Eeek, I was just thinking a second hand companion 200.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Sabrina's are in the house.

1) Big balanced bass that stays focused and doesn't get out of control even in my room.
2) Center image is much more forward and full, but the dealer did spend near 2 hours setting them up. 1 inch at a time. They are pretty much toed-in right at me and that's where they sound the best.
3) Speakers seem to disappear quite a bit better than the focals but probably related to set up.
4) So far the D200 is fine with them, though I live in a condo so I'm not pushing things very loud.
5) They just sound so much bigger than they are. Certainly should handle bigger rooms if you threw another D200 at them.

Had to retract my diminishing returns comment.

After a couple days with them, these speakers are friggin' fantastic. Now to find a bank to rob...

After spending all week with the Sabrina's they went back with the dealer today. I can't believe how bad my 1028BEs are in comparison. Unbelievable, I'm curled up on my bed literally crying right now.

I had hoped for 80% as good from my Focals when I plugged them back in but that didn't happen. I'm not even going to bother auditioning the Sopra 2s at the dealer show room.

(05-Mar-2016, 20:40)Dr Tone Wrote: After spending all week with the Sabrina's they went back with the dealer today.  I can't believe how bad my 1028BEs are in comparison.  Unbelievable, I'm curled up on my bed literally crying right now.

I had hoped for 80% as good from my Focals when I plugged them back in but that didn't happen.  I'm not even going to bother auditioning the Sopra 2s at the dealer show room.

Hang in there DrT, times a good healer, you'll love the 1028's again, just give it a while.....

So, you're buying the Sabrina's? Wink

I'd love to get a home demo as I love the look and am sure they'd work in my room (the dealers space was a lot bigger), but I'm going to have to wait until some come on the second hand market..... Might be a long wait.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(05-Mar-2016, 20:40)Dr Tone Wrote: After spending all week with the Sabrina's they went back with the dealer today.  I can't believe how bad my 1028BEs are in comparison.  Unbelievable, I'm curled up on my bed literally crying right now.

I had hoped for 80% as good from my Focals when I plugged them back in but that didn't happen.  I'm not even going to bother auditioning the Sopra 2s at the dealer show room.

So only because your old 1028 is not as fantastic as Sabrina (which is something like three times as expensive) you are not going to give Sopra a chance, that is a little bit strange to me.....

I have owned 1038 but sold them and I think that Sopra is a better speaker maybe not so good  as a Sabrina but they dont cost as much as the Sabrina either.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(06-Mar-2016, 08:47)octaviars Wrote:

So only because your old 1028 is not as fantastic as Sabrina (which is something like three times as expensive) you are not going to give Sopra a chance, that is a little bit strange to me.....

I have owned 1038 but sold them and I think that Sopra is a better speaker maybe not so good  as a Sabrina but they dont cost as much as the Sabrina either.

I understand, it is odd, I'll try to explain.

The Sabrina is only 15% more expensive than the Sopra 2 out the door from the conversations I've had.  I'm in Canada.

Trying to quantitive sound quality of my 1028s in comparison to the Sabrina, they are 1/3 to 1/2 the speaker the Sabrina is in my room.  My room is the important part.  I have no doubt the Sopra 2 is a better speaker, heck it might be twice the speaker but I have no way of confirming that as they won't let me home audition them.  I could go there, be just as blown away by the Sopra 2 in their perfectly acoustically treated room, buy them, and get them home and be disappointed.

Ultimately my goal was a speaker that was more forgiving to some of the crappy recordings I like and easier on my messed up ears overall.  It is clear now that I have to move away from Focal to get that, I really enjoyed that new silk dome tweeter of the Sabrina.

Lastly, this new dealer has been running back and forth to my house with various speakers and has been awesome.  I'm rather disappointed in the other dealer's stance.

(06-Mar-2016, 00:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Hang in there DrT, times a good healer, you'll love the 1028's again, just give it a while.....

So, you're buying the Sabrina's? Wink

I'd love to get a home demo as I love the look and am sure they'd work in my room (the dealers space was a lot bigger), but I'm going to have to wait until some come on the second hand market..... Might be a long wait.....

Given enough time everyone will get used to something.  I think it's what allot people call break-in.   Big Grin

I certainly do want to buy them right away.  But I have mister common sense guy on my right shoulder reminding me that I work in the oil industry in Canada and my second career of farming is completely dependent on mother nature.