Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson Audio Sabrina
In my opinion you are doing the right thing. Your room is CRITICAL and at the level of cash you are spending a home demo is an absolute must
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(05-Mar-2016, 20:40)Dr Tone Wrote: After spending all week with the Sabrina's they went back with the dealer today.  I can't believe how bad my 1028BEs are in comparison.  Unbelievable, I'm curled up on my bed literally crying right now.

I had hoped for 80% as good from my Focals when I plugged them back in but that didn't happen.  I'm not even going to bother auditioning the Sopra 2s at the dealer show room.

I fully understand your predicament. I recently sold my Watt Puppy 7’s to release some cash and had every intention of buying some Focal 1038be. I auditioned a pair and compared to my Wilson’s I just didn't like the sound. Once you’ve heard Wilson’s it’s hard to change. Fortunately for me I found a pair of Sophia 3’s at a great price and have actually improved my sound quality as they benefit from the Sam process which has made an amazing difference in my room. I have also heard the Sabrina’s with a D200 at my dealer which convinced me to sell my previous amps so I know first hand how amazing those tiny Wilson’s are !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
(06-Mar-2016, 14:56)Dr Tone Wrote:
(06-Mar-2016, 08:47)octaviars Wrote:
(05-Mar-2016, 20:40)Dr Tone Wrote: After spending all week with the Sabrina's they went back with the dealer today.  I can't believe how bad my 1028BEs are in comparison.  Unbelievable, I'm curled up on my bed literally crying right now.

I had hoped for 80% as good from my Focals when I plugged them back in but that didn't happen.  I'm not even going to bother auditioning the Sopra 2s at the dealer show room.

So only because your old 1028 is not as fantastic as Sabrina (which is something like three times as expensive) you are not going to give Sopra a chance, that is a little bit strange to me.....

I have owned 1038 but sold them and I think that Sopra is a better speaker maybe not so good  as a Sabrina but they dont cost as much as the Sabrina either.

I understand, it is odd, I'll try to explain.

The Sabrina is only 15% more expensive than the Sopra 2 out the door from the conversations I've had.  I'm in Canada.

Trying to quantitive sound quality of my 1028s in comparison to the Sabrina, they are 1/3 to 1/2 the speaker the Sabrina is in my room.  My room is the important part.  I have no doubt the Sopra 2 is a better speaker, heck it might be twice the speaker but I have no way of confirming that as they won't let me home audition them.  I could go there, be just as blown away by the Sopra 2 in their perfectly acoustically treated room, buy them, and get them home and be disappointed.

Ultimately my goal was a speaker that was more forgiving to some of the crappy recordings I like and easier on my messed up ears overall.  It is clear now that I have to move away from Focal to get that, I really enjoyed that new silk dome tweeter of the Sabrina.

Lastly, this new dealer has been running back and forth to my house with various speakers and has been awesome.  I'm rather disappointed in the other dealer's stance.

Thank you for your answer. In Europe or atleast in the Nordic countries Wilson is really expensive, Sabrina is around 50% more expensive than Sopra 2 so they are in another price range and to me they are not worth that money, dont get me wrong Wilson is good but at that price they are asking here there are lots of other speakers to choose from. 

And as you say the speaker have to fit your room and your taste that is the most importent thing.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(06-Mar-2016, 16:07)octaviars Wrote:
(06-Mar-2016, 14:56)Dr Tone Wrote:
(06-Mar-2016, 08:47)octaviars Wrote: So only because your old 1028 is not as fantastic as Sabrina (which is something like three times as expensive) you are not going to give Sopra a chance, that is a little bit strange to me.....

I have owned 1038 but sold them and I think that Sopra is a better speaker maybe not so good  as a Sabrina but they dont cost as much as the Sabrina either.

I understand, it is odd, I'll try to explain.

The Sabrina is only 15% more expensive than the Sopra 2 out the door from the conversations I've had.  I'm in Canada.

Trying to quantitive sound quality of my 1028s in comparison to the Sabrina, they are 1/3 to 1/2 the speaker the Sabrina is in my room.  My room is the important part.  I have no doubt the Sopra 2 is a better speaker, heck it might be twice the speaker but I have no way of confirming that as they won't let me home audition them.  I could go there, be just as blown away by the Sopra 2 in their perfectly acoustically treated room, buy them, and get them home and be disappointed.

Ultimately my goal was a speaker that was more forgiving to some of the crappy recordings I like and easier on my messed up ears overall.  It is clear now that I have to move away from Focal to get that, I really enjoyed that new silk dome tweeter of the Sabrina.

Lastly, this new dealer has been running back and forth to my house with various speakers and has been awesome.  I'm rather disappointed in the other dealer's stance.

Thank you for your answer. In Europe or atleast in the Nordic countries Wilson is really expensive, Sabrina is around 50% more expensive than Sopra 2 so they are in another price range and to me they are not worth that money, dont get me wrong Wilson is good but at that price they are asking here there are lots of other speakers to choose from. 

And as you say the speaker have to fit your room and your taste that is the most importent thing.

I guess the pricing difference makes sense as the Focals are made over there and the Wilsons over here just 1200KM south of me.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I got the price I wanted, so I ordered a set in Galaxy Gray today. Now to wait 4 weeks till they get here.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(08-Mar-2016, 22:19)Dr Tone Wrote: I got the price I wanted, so I ordered a set in Galaxy Gray today.  Now to wait 4 weeks till they get here.

Congrats! Now the dreadful wait.  Sad

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(08-Mar-2016, 22:19)Dr Tone Wrote: I got the price I wanted, so I ordered a set in Galaxy Gray today.  Now to wait 4 weeks till they get here.

Very jealous….. I'd love to know what that price was…. no, actually, don't tell me, I'm happy with what Ive got - honest! Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

This is Galaxy Gray:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=994]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-Mar-2016, 15:31)Dr Tone Wrote: This is Galaxy Gray:

Click to enlarge.

Stunning!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I auditioned an Obsidian Black pair which sounded & looked gorgeous (Heart) with my Devialet 200 but unfortunately, they were not within by budget...   Sad