Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual chassis - can speakers be biwired?
When using a dual chassis setup like the 440, are both sets of binding posts on each unit active?  I use two separate runs of cable to each of my blade 2s.
Yes it can be done. If I remember correctly you need to switch second binding post polarity if you want use both. You can use one box for left speaker and other to right speaker. Or one box to bass and other to high.
Have a look around the forum. It's been done before but most people seem to think dual mono sounds best.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I think the OP simply wants to bi-wire a dual mono set-up. I think that without modifying the units internally this cannot be done, in a dual mono set up only two of the speakers binding posts are to be used. Rather disconcertingly, this is the two red positive terminals, the other two are not to be used. This can be clearly seen in the Configurator. You could of course simply use cables designed for this, with two plus ant the amp end, two cables and plugs at the speaker end.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Just to clarify - the Blade 2 have 4 binding posts each. A set for the mid/treble and a set for the bass. There is a jumper built into the speaker that can be engaged to run one set of binding posts, or the jumper can be disengaged to wire the mid/treble on one set of speaker cables and the bass on a separate set of cables. What I want to do is use all four sets of binding posts on the speaker.

The question I have is when running a dual mono block configuration, can I use one set of binding posts on my master to go to the treble section of the speaker and the other set to go to the bass? In other words, can I use all four posts on my right monoblock, and all four posts on the left mono block to do this? There would be four separate runs of speaker cable - two to the left speaker and two to the right speaker.
Yup, I think Confused understood, and has answered 'no, it's not possible'.

Perhaps Devialet could give you a custom config file (if it's technically possible) to enable both - might be worth getting in touch as I'm sure there must be others with similar cables/situation.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Actually it is possible. I did it once in accident. If I remember correctly you need to switch second binding post polarity.
Hi Saxguy :

There's bi-wiring & bi-amping ... 

We're dealing with Bi-wiring ...

1. The 440 Pro dual chassis (if configured as monoblocks) can only bi-wire at the most.

2. For this, you'll have to use the 2 x RED terminals on each chassis as your Amp OUT. So, ideally, you should have a set of cables having 4mm banana plugs & a set of cables having spades. 

I am bi-wiring my B&W 802 D3 with 2 sets of cables off my D400. Pics attached. 

Hope this helps !

[img][Image: IMG_0640.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: IMG_0641.jpg][/img]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(16-Oct-2016, 18:48)audio_engr Wrote: So, ideally, you should have a set of cables having 4mm banana plugs & a set of cables having spades. 
That's an interesting tip mixing bananas and spades at the amp end. Would allow different cables for bass and treble as well if you wanted to do so.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(16-Oct-2016, 19:03)Soniclife Wrote:
(16-Oct-2016, 18:48)audio_engr Wrote: So, ideally, you should have a set of cables having 4mm banana plugs & a set of cables having spades. 
That's an interesting tip mixing bananas and spades at the amp end. Would allow different cables for bass and treble as well if you wanted to do so.

Indeed - And that's what I've done in my arrangement ... (chk my sig)
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US