Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very positive user review of the 220
(20-Oct-2016, 19:45)Beud Wrote:
(20-Oct-2016, 17:50)sam1000 Wrote: Can you guys describe what  you liked in 220 over 120? What was the sensitivity rating of the speakers you were listening to?

More refined overall, better bass control, more details. The highs with 120 where nearly harsh I thought. I was quick to blame the reveling speakers, but switching to the 220 showed I was wrong.

Highs on a 120 or 200 with firmware 10.0.x do sound harsh indeed.
That's the reason why a lot of are stuck at older firmwares.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
My 220 upgraded from 120 has now been playing for about 100 hours and hearing music has become an emotional experience again.
Bass is much deeper and at the same time clearer and now really "punchy", it just tears me into the music and makes me smile... 
Even more important with my electrostats the highs are now not harsh any more, just right, maybe even more on the warm side of neutral. Pianos are marvelous.
Voices and mids were quite laid back and not as clear as with the 120 in the first hours, but this has already changed, now being present and more emotionally involving as before.
I also can confirm a slightly wider and considerably deeper soundstage.
All this doesn't need high volumes any more, every detail is now easily audible at -35 where I needed at least-25 before.
Altogether my 220 brings me back to celebrate music again!  Upgrade for me is worth every penny.
220 PRO/CI, Martin Logan Montis, HMS Gran Finale MK II, FritzBox 7590, Audirvana via USB, Tidal Hifi, - South Germany
I'm waiting some other comparison D220 vs D400, as it is now (with the prices of C200/D200 lowering so much...) a real question for D200 owners : D220 upgrade or D400 ?
Just talking SQ, not evo possibilities, nor streaming board Smile
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
(20-Oct-2016, 12:04)MrJellyLord Wrote:
(20-Oct-2016, 09:25)aleong Wrote: Hi All,

This is my first post in the chat Smile

I upgraded my 120 to 220. I must say the 220 is superior in all aspects - imaging, clarity, definition, etc. I bought the 120 because at that time I found the difference between 120 and 200 is marginal. But the 220 is a totally different beast!

A+

Same here. Happy 120 owner (didn't feel the need to go for the 200 at the time either).

But I think you now have planted the upgrade seed in my mind...
DO share you opinions/experiences, please.

Hi,

My observation is similar to Beud's post. Compare to the 120, the improvements in soundstage, headroom, and separation of instruments are very noticeable. The perceived 'harshness' of the 120 is gone, vocal and bass definition is a lot better. If I were to put a quantitative assessment I would say it's around 20% improvements in overall SQ, plus the amp runs cooler. It's very obvious to me as I didn't take the upgrade path - when I took the 120 to my dealer to send it in for upgrade, they offer me a good deal to trade in for a brand new 220 Wink hence I have the luxury to immediate listen to the two without much delay effect. I must say that the 220 needs at least 24 hours of run in for the sound to open up. I'd say upgrading the 120 to 220 is a definitely a sound investment.

Cheers
A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dali Epicon 2 / D220 / Rega RP8 / Oppo 105D / Sonos / Macbook Pro / AIR3 Beta
(20-Oct-2016, 17:50)sam1000 Wrote: Can you guys describe what you liked in 220 over 120? What was the sensitivity rating of the speakers you were listening to?

Hi Sam, see my response on SQ in other posts. My speakers are 4ohm Dali Epicon 2.

Cheers
A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dali Epicon 2 / D220 / Rega RP8 / Oppo 105D / Sonos / Macbook Pro / AIR3 Beta
(21-Oct-2016, 06:14)ledesc Wrote: I'm waiting some other comparison D220 vs D400, as it is now (with the prices of C200/D200 lowering so much...) a real question for D200 owners : D220 upgrade or D400 ?

Today I compared the D200, D220 Pro and the D400 at a dealer as I had the same question. I must say in advance that I am not an experienced reviewer, so find it difficult to describe what I have experienced. We also had the problem that we could only use a completely different pair of loudspeakers than I am used to. I think I can speak out though on the relative differences and my personal preference from the 2 hours plus I have listened to these amps. First we listened for about twenty minutes to get used to the speakers and acoustics of the room. Then we listened more seriously to the D200.

When switching to the D220 Pro there was an immediate and noticable change in sound presentation. In comparison to the D200 this Amplifier made music with more ease and in a more relaxed way. Stage was also a bit bigger and deeper. The music sounded more analogue.

After a good listen to the D220 Pro we switched to the D400. The way the music was presented by the D220 Pro changed back to what we were used to with the D200. So maybe a bit more pointy and revealing sounding, but the spaciousness, the ease and authority grew to another level. Firmware was version 10.0.2 for all Devialets, so that may also have played a part in this comparison.

So this still leaves me with a big dilemma. I had hoped to get a clear answer on my dilemma. With the used speakers, I am still not sure yet though how big that difference between D200 and D220 Pro really would be in my setup. My speakers are just that much more revealing. I am pretty convinced though the D220 Pro has more performance to offer than we could hear in the used setup. It sounded better relative to the D200 in this setup, but not perse better than a D400. It somewhat seems to miss the authority and spaciousness the D400 brings and I crave for my next step.

So for now the D400 still has the edge for me. Using firmware 7.3 might very well change the D400 to have a more analogue music presentation. So I should probably find a way to try a D220 Pro and the D400 at home. If you ask me now I am really not sure yet what route to choose. But if put under pressure, I am kind of leaning towards continuing to save up to make a D400.

That said, I can only imagine how good the D440 Pro must perform combining the best of both D220 Pro and D400. We also listened to the D1000 Pro, and that is clearly the best of them all. More ease, the more analogue presentation of the Expert Pro and all the realism of a true reference system. Sadly not an option with my budget.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
That's the review lots have been waiting for, and somewhat predictably a simple answer isn't available. My guess is current hungry speakers want the 400, easy to drive the 220, glad I don't have to decide this one.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
For a long time, I was on the fence as to whether to upgrade my 200 to a 220 Pro or just pick up another 200 to make a 400.

Well, I was able to buy a 220 Pro outright before selling my 200 and am so glad I did. I feel that, while the 200s are without doubt, excellent amps, the Pro series are simply an evolutionary step better in every aspect. My comparison of a 220 Pro to a 200 here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3585
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(21-Oct-2016, 19:22)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(21-Oct-2016, 06:14)ledesc Wrote: I'm waiting some other comparison D220 vs D400, as it is now (with the prices of C200/D200 lowering so much...) a real question for D200 owners : D220 upgrade or D400 ?

Today I compared the D200, D220 Pro and the D400 at a dealer as I had the same question. I must say in advance that I am not an experienced reviewer, so find it difficult to describe what I have experienced. We also had the problem that we could only use a completely different pair of loudspeakers than I am used to. I think I can speak out though on the relative differences and my personal preference from the 2 hours plus I have listened to these amps. First we listened for about twenty minutes to get used to the speakers and acoustics of the room. Then we listened more seriously to the D200.

When switching to the D220 Pro there was an immediate and noticable change in sound presentation. In comparison to the D200 this Amplifier made music with more ease and in a more relaxed way. Stage was also a bit bigger and deeper. The music sounded more analogue.

After a good listen to the D220 Pro we switched to the D400. The way the music was presented by the D220 Pro changed back to what we were used to with the D200. So maybe a bit more pointy and revealing sounding, but the spaciousness, the ease and authority grew to another level. Firmware was version 10.0.2 for all Devialets, so that may also have played a part in this comparison.

So this still leaves me with a big dilemma. I had hoped to get a clear answer on my dilemma. With the used speakers, I am still not sure yet though how big that difference between D200 and D220 Pro really would be in my setup. My speakers are just that much more revealing. I am pretty convinced though the D220 Pro has more performance to offer than we could hear in the used setup. It sounded better relative to the D200 in this setup, but not perse better than a D400. It somewhat seems to miss the authority and spaciousness the D400 brings and I crave for my next step.

So for now the D400 still has the edge for me. Using firmware 7.3 might very well change the D400 to have a more analogue music presentation. So I should probably find a way to try a D220 Pro and the D400 at home. If you ask me now I am really not sure yet what route to choose. But if put under pressure, I am kind of leaning towards continuing to save up to make a D400.

That said, I can only imagine how good the D440 Pro must perform combining the best of both D220 Pro and D400. We also listened to the D1000 Pro, and that is clearly the best of them all. More ease, the more analogue presentation of the Expert Pro and all the realism of a true reference system. Sadly not an option with my budget.

Finally someone who might compare a PRO with an old 7.1.3 setup. Can't wait to see those results.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)