Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR and the Melco
Yesterday I decided to experiment as I am missing a decent app to use with my Melco.
I decided to use JRiver and AIR again and to my surprise it worked flawlessly for over 3 hours.
I will assess the SQ later if I get time or feel the inclination. So good to have a decent app again. but my question is this. What am i losing by using the Melco in this way? I used the Wifi input but guessing I could just put the Ethernet cable back into my Devialet and use Ethernet?

The only thing that has changed is i have upgraded to Windows 10. Air is an older version and so is the firmware.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Are you using the Melco just to serve the files off to the computer running JRiver? The benefit of Melco with AIR is a bit minimal but probably the best benefit from it can be gained by using the Melco as a network bridge - connect the Devialet via Ethernet to the Melco Player Ethernet port and connect the Melco LAN port to the rest of the network (including the computer running JRiver/AIR).
I also use a wifi dongle in the LAN port of the Melco rather than Ethernet to the LAN as that extra isolation seems to make a bit of a difference. Possibly an optical bridge or similar could be even better.

I so wish AIR could be ported to run on the Melco... I don't think it's going to happen though.
Thanks for the reply Rufus. I think I understand what you mean. Guess I have to decide if its worth it just to get a better app. Also after my AIR issues I may be reluctant to go back. Just noticed too that my music files are a little messy now with JRiver, my recent purchases all duplicated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England