Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
400 vs 440 Pro
Hi,
I've got my 440 Pro up and running, and, although it's early days, I thought I'd post my findings so far.
Whereas I used to listen at fairly low volume at -25dB, now I have to turn it down to about -30 to get the same volume level. Not sure whether things have been recalibrated or it's the extra 40W coming into play.
Sitting here listening to low bit rate Radio Paradise and reading at the same time, I keep being distracted by things like a hard panned vocal disappearing far left and keeping on going. The soundstage is huge! Depth improvement is also audible. Reverberation trails going on seemingly forever. Bass notes going lower than I can remember them on the 400.
I wasn't expecting much until the amps. had 50 or so hours on them, but clearly the 440 is a major step up in performance. The treble is clear and smooth, without a hint of glare, grain or hardness. Not that the 400 was harsh in the treble department, but the 440 sounds smoother to my ears.
The 400 could sometimes sound a bit "thin" but the 440 seems fuller somehow. Please excuse my descriptions of my findings, I'm no professional reviewer by any means! Running temperatures are lower; one of my amps is wall mounted, the other in a rack with isolation pucks underneath which raise the amp. 40 mm off the deck and give improved airflow. Temperatures on the wall mounted unit: A 33 D 36 and PS 41, with those on the rack mounted unit being a couple of degrees above this. Even listening at lower volume on the 400, the temps. used to be in the mid to high 40s on both amps, the one on the rack always running a few degrees hotter than the wall mounter. I've also made some cable changes, swapping out a cable with adapters for a beautifully made Cabledyne RCA to AES/EBU 110 Ohm Master to Companion connection and also the new Audioquest mains cables, all of which will need to be burnt in
I only had a chance to listen for a couple of hours, but I'll give it another whack tomorrow and report any other changes I've noticed. 
Oh, and when you switch the amps. off, they go stone cold which is good for your electricity bill, but might mean that they'll will take longer to warm up and come on song.
Looking forward to other 440 ownwers reporting their findings. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(23-Oct-2016, 03:04)LAxel Wrote: I've got my 440 Pro up and running, and, although it's early days, I thought I'd post my findings so far.
Whereas I used to listen at fairly low volume at -25dB, now I have to turn it down to about -30 to get the same volume level. Not sure whether things have been recalibrated or it's the extra 40W coming into play.
Sitting here listening and reading at the same time, I keep being distracted by things like a hard panned vocal disappearing far left and keeping on going. The soundstage is huge! Depth improvement is also audible. Reverberation trails going on seemingly forever. Bass notes going lower than I can remember them on the 400.
I wasn't expecting much until the amps. had 50 or so hours on them, but clearly the 440 is a major step up in performance. The treble is clear and smooth, without a hint of glare, grain or hardness. Not that the 400 was harsh in the treble department, but the 440 sounds smoother to my ears.
The 400 could sometimes sound a bit "thin" but the 440 seems fuller somehow. Please excuse my descriptions of my findings, I'm no professional reviewer by any means! Running temperatures are lower; one of my amps is wall mounted, the other in a rack with isolation pucks underneath which raise the amp. 40 mm off the deck and give improved airflow. Temperatures on the wall mounted unit: A 33 D 36 and PS 41, with those on the rack mounted unit being a couple of degrees above this. Even listening at lower volume on the 400, the temps. used to be in the mid to high 40s on both amps, the one on the rack always running a few degrees hotter than the wall mounter. I've also made some cable changes, swapping out a cable with adapters for a beautifully made Cabledyne RCA to AES/EBU 110 Ohm Master to Companion connection and also the new Audioquest mains cables, all of which will need to be burnt in
I only had a chance to listen for a couple of hours, but I'll give it another whack tomorrow and report any other changes I've noticed. 
Oh, and when you switch the amps. off, they go stone cold which is good for your electricity bill, but might mean that they'll will take longer to warm up and come on song.

Thanks for that great review - I am on the tipping point of ordering the 440 and really appreciated the perspective - sounds like I'll need to pull the trigger . . ! (Especially your comments re treble and sense of thinness vs fuller sound)
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
(23-Oct-2016, 03:04)Axel Wrote: I've got my 440 Pro up and running, and, although it's early days, I thought I'd post my findings so far.
Sitting here listening and reading at the same time, I keep being distracted by things like a hard panned vocal disappearing far left and keeping on going. The soundstage is huge! Depth improvement is also audible. Reverberation trails going on seemingly forever. Bass notes going lower than I can remember them on the 400.

Nice to hear that. I have been waiting for the early adopters to write here about 400 VS. 440 but now I am more and more in to upgrading my 400.

I also use Cabledyne RCA to XLR linkcable, they are really well made cables at the right price.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Thanks for writing up your first impressions Axel - sounds like you're very pleased with the upgrade. I'm in the same position as Spindrift and octaviars (and heading in the same direction).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(23-Oct-2016, 08:36)octaviars Wrote:
(23-Oct-2016, 03:04)Axel Wrote: I've got my 440 Pro up and running, and, although it's early days, I thought I'd post my findings so far.

Nice to hear that. I have been waiting for the early adopters to write here about 400 VS. 440 but now I am more and more in to upgrading my 400.

I also use Cabledyne RCA to XLR linkcable, they are really well made cables at the right price.

Glad you're thinking of upgrading. I don't think you'll regret it!
Agreed, Cabledyne are really well made, use Furutech and Neutrik connectors and are great value.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(23-Oct-2016, 09:25)thumb5 Wrote: Thanks for writing up your first impressions Axel - sounds like you're very pleased with the upgrade.  I'm in the same position as Spindrift and octaviars (and heading in the same direction).

Hi Ian,

Yes, I'm over the moon with the upgrade, especially the speed with which it was completed. Now that the rest of the world has started to upgrade, it makes me wonder whether Devialet will be able to keep up with the extra traffic, although, having said that, they seem to be giving people five day slots to have the upgrade done, and so as long as that regime is adhered to, things should work out fine.
Like I said to Octaviars, go for it, you won't regret it!

Alex.
South Coast England
Alex

Thanks for the first report, all sounds very positive.
I have ordered the 400>440 upgrade, still waiting for shipping box and UPS sticker.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(23-Oct-2016, 13:07)BrianT Wrote: Alex

Thanks for the first report, all sounds very positive.
I have ordered the 400>440 upgrade, still waiting for shipping box and UPS sticker.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Glad to hear that you've decided to go for it. When Devialet email you the UPS label, they'll give you a five day window to phone UPS and arrange for pickup. Being further away from France than us in the U.K., you may have to wait a bit longer for the amps to arrive back to you, but I promise you that it's worth the wait. Keep us posted!

Alex.
South Coast England
(23-Oct-2016, 03:04)Axel Wrote: Oh, and when you switch the amps. off, they go stone cold which is good for your electricity bill, but might mean that they'll will take longer to warm up and come on song.

Nice system!

Have you measured the power consumption when off, or are you speaking only of the temperature of the case that you can feel? Thanks.
(25-Oct-2016, 00:41)deviousalet Wrote:
(23-Oct-2016, 03:04)Axel Wrote: Oh, and when you switch the amps. off, they go stone cold which is good for your electricity bill, but might mean that they'll will take longer to warm up and come on song.

Nice system!

Have you measured the power consumption when off, or are you speaking only of the temperature of the case that you can feel? Thanks.
Just the temperature that you can feel : completely cold.  I haven't the equipment to see if it using any power, but I'm sure it can't be. On the other hand, I've noticed that the Companion stays warm. Probably waiting for receive power up commands from the master?
South Coast England