Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
400 vs 440 Pro
I've been listening solidly for the past 15 hours with not a sign of fatigue. The amps are still changing for the better. Treble is crystal clear, bass is deep, articulate and powerful at all volume levels. The soundstage with these is just awesome. The 440 seems to draw you into the music and connect with you in a way that the 400 just couldn't manage.

Spindrift, Octaviars and Ian, and all you other upgraders, I'm looking forward to seeing your impressions on the 440. Let's 'ave 'em! Smile

On a completely different note, I've got so many Devialet cleaning cloths, I think I'll start using them as breast pocket handkerchiefs!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I will deliver my amps to UPS pickup center today, that seems easier to do that than shedual a pickup at home.

Really looking forward to getting them back and start puting some hours on them.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I fancied a bit of a Radio Paradise to warm the amps (and my hearing). A track by David Crosby called Laughing is on.
I'm setting here spellbound....entranced..... from cold, the Ds are sounding superb. The Sundays-Here's Where The Story Ends has just come on. Harriet Wheeler's voice has always stirred senses in my nether regions, Rolleyes and here and now, she's sitting in my front room, right in front of me singing to me!

Oooohh...

All this from a low bitrate stream, via Sonos through the Crystal that came with the amp, BNC S/P Dif connection to Mutec AES/EBU into the Dev. I wonder whether SQ will improve further.

My personal thoughts are that my upgrade was well worth the price, considering the replacement of the entire internals, refurbished remote, new packaging, another Crystal interconnect, AQ power cables, five year guarantee.
More gloves, cleaning cloths, carry bags. A couple of SD cards. Just as if you'd bought it brand new.

I worked out that my first 200, the Companion added later, then this upgrade has cost me £12800. £820 more than a new 440 Pro.

Shouldn't be long before you other guys get your various upgrades back from France. You are in for a treat!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I've just gone high res: Cassandra Wilson-New Moon Daughter. 24/192 FLAC.
The acoustic bass is palpable, you can almost hear inside it. It's a weird feeling, almost as if your eardrums are being stretched, so wide is the soundstage, with instruments so uncannily realistic in their own space and acoustic.
There are certainly a large steps up in performance in all areas versus the 400.
I'm gonna shut up now and update you in a week or so.  Good luck and happy listening to all you upgraders!
South Coast England
So, my two days with the 440 Pro have sadly come to an end.  I've posted some impressions in my system thread.

I agree with Axel that this is quite a big step up from the 400.  I wish I could have spent longer doing a comparison, but suffice to say I'm going to go for an upgrade.  Can't wait!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I got my 440 yesterday, my mind is blown by the size of the improvement. I wouldn't have thought that any amplifier upgrade could have given me an improvement like this, it's like it comes with a free room and speaker upgrade as well. Truly mind bending stuff.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(31-Oct-2016, 00:30)Soniclife Wrote: I got my 440 yesterday, my mind is blown by the size of the improvement. I wouldn't have thought that any amplifier upgrade could have given me an improvement like this, it's like it comes with a free room and speaker upgrade as well. Truly mind bending stuff.

Glad you like the upgrade. Where do you think gains have been made over the 400?
South Coast England
(31-Oct-2016, 00:30)Soniclife Wrote: I got my 440 yesterday, my mind is blown by the size of the improvement. I wouldn't have thought that any amplifier upgrade could have given me an improvement like this, it's like it comes with a free room and speaker upgrade as well. Truly mind bending stuff.

That is an exciting news. Can you tell us more?
(31-Oct-2016, 14:23)G51 Wrote:

That is an exciting news. Can you tell us more?

[Non-upgraders of a nervous disposition should look away now]

Everything seems to have improved, and not in subtle ways, for me this feels like arriving at a destination, not a step along the way,

Bass is much tighter, deep drum sounds arrive in startling fashion, and then decay in very natural ways.  It’s the speed of arrival, and the lack of what I thought was room problems on the overhang that has improved so much.  The explosive energy on the leading edge of notes is repeated all over the place, and it has improved PRaT enormously.

The soundstage is now huge, and much more 3D, multiple different acoustics on multitracked recordings can be presented at the same time quite effortlessly.

Resolution is up at all frequencies, and it sounds effortlessly done, but at the same time there is more sense of life in the music now.  I used to have slight nagging doubts that my speakers were over refined sometimes, which leads to a feeling the music is being sat on slightly, not any more, it positively bounces out of the speakers now.

I went to the 400 from the 200 when I got the Guarneri Evos, they seemed to really need the extra power and control of the dual mono.  400 > 440 is a much bigger jump than 200 > 400 was.

I’ve got a real problem with the naming of the ‘Expert Pro’ line.  What were the old ones, amateur experts?  I also hate the use of ‘pro’ in product names where it isn’t truly deserved, and it almost never is, and these are clearly amps for use at home.  I hate the impression it gives me that next time they upgrade the range they will add another adjective on the end, something like Expert Pro Guru.  However given their amazing ability to transport you through time and space into the recording session I now think they haven't gone far enough, and they should be called Expert Pro Timelord.

I'm off to try and listen to my entire record collection in a week.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Hi Soniclife,
nothing to add from my side, you described it very well. Going from 800 to 1000pro, same observations. Much bigger increase in SQ than going from D-Premier to 800 before. This is it.