Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
400 vs 440 review
(24-Oct-2016, 22:09)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(24-Oct-2016, 11:42)Confused Wrote: I'm not quite sure what to make of this review!  OK, I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing the 440 Pro, and here I would go with Pim's sentiment, I too would place more faith in the comments of folk posting on this site.  That said, I have listened to the D400 on a number of occasions now, and I have listened to an A/B audition of the D800 vs 1000 Pro, so I think it is possible to extrapolate to a certain extent.  This may not make sense, but I do not really agree with some of the criticisms the reviewer is now making of the outgoing D400, but based on my D800 vs 1000 Pro audition, I do fully recognise what he is saying with respect to the Pro improvements.  For me the D400 was (and is) a very fine product, and yet the Pro goes to a class above.  I am also interested in how Pim' puts this down to power supply improvements, because I had mentally put the main improvements down to the new ADH.  The truth is it is probably down to a combination of things, cooling the new class D and so on, not that this matters too much is the end result is good!

To be honest Confused, there's a bit (heaps actually) of guess work involved here. Although I can't remember actually reading it myself (apart from on this forum) but I believe Devialet have stated in the past that power cables don't make any difference to the SQ of a Devialet. To me that would mean that they have the perfect power supply that can filter out any nasties you throw at it. Then they make a new product and improve the power supply. Huh Not just more powerful but also better at noise reduction. So they weren't really honest about the power supply before. 

Then there are the nights that I really enjoy the sound coming from my D (200 in the past or now 900) and there are nights that I REALLY enjoy the sound. The difference can of course easily be me or my seating position but I've always had a feeling that cleaner power would have a positive impact on the SQ. 

Then there's Mka's Od'A-1000Pro shoot out declaring the Pro the clear winner. The differences between them are improved ADH as you said (or isn't it? Devialet haven't been 100% clear on this) and the improved power supply.

So there's my reasoning behind it. Now lets shoot some holes in that theory.  Smile

Cheers,

Pim

During the day, with people watching the daytime crap on TV and boiling kettles, using ovens etc., background noise from traffic and other noises from outside all have a cumulative effect and the SQ suffers.
Late evening/early morning when none of the above are taking place is always my favourite time for listening. The electricity supply (and everything else) is much quieter then.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(25-Oct-2016, 01:34)Axel Wrote:
(24-Oct-2016, 22:09)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(24-Oct-2016, 11:42)Confused Wrote: I'm not quite sure what to make of this review!  OK, I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing the 440 Pro, and here I would go with Pim's sentiment, I too would place more faith in the comments of folk posting on this site.  That said, I have listened to the D400 on a number of occasions now, and I have listened to an A/B audition of the D800 vs 1000 Pro, so I think it is possible to extrapolate to a certain extent.  This may not make sense, but I do not really agree with some of the criticisms the reviewer is now making of the outgoing D400, but based on my D800 vs 1000 Pro audition, I do fully recognise what he is saying with respect to the Pro improvements.  For me the D400 was (and is) a very fine product, and yet the Pro goes to a class above.  I am also interested in how Pim' puts this down to power supply improvements, because I had mentally put the main improvements down to the new ADH.  The truth is it is probably down to a combination of things, cooling the new class D and so on, not that this matters too much is the end result is good!

To be honest Confused, there's a bit (heaps actually) of guess work involved here. Although I can't remember actually reading it myself (apart from on this forum) but I believe Devialet have stated in the past that power cables don't make any difference to the SQ of a Devialet. To me that would mean that they have the perfect power supply that can filter out any nasties you throw at it. Then they make a new product and improve the power supply. Huh Not just more powerful but also better at noise reduction. So they weren't really honest about the power supply before. 

Then there are the nights that I really enjoy the sound coming from my D (200 in the past or now 900) and there are nights that I REALLY enjoy the sound. The difference can of course easily be me or my seating position but I've always had a feeling that cleaner power would have a positive impact on the SQ. 

Then there's Mka's Od'A-1000Pro shoot out declaring the Pro the clear winner. The differences between them are improved ADH as you said (or isn't it? Devialet haven't been 100% clear on this) and the improved power supply.

So there's my reasoning behind it. Now lets shoot some holes in that theory.  Smile

Cheers,

Pim

During the day, with people watching the daytime crap on TV and boiling kettles, using ovens etc., background noise from traffic and other noises from outside all have a cumulative effect and the SQ suffers.
Late evening/early morning when none of the above are taking place is always my favourite time for listening. The electricity supply (and everything else) is much quieter then.

That's exactly why I think the renewed power supply might be the most important change in the Pro.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.