Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade D250 to 250Pro or jump to 440Pro
As a D250 owner who would unabashedly and confidently recommend this integrated to anyone, I was not really prepared to have to face the upgrade decision to the 250Pro.

Faced with the timed offer, I considered the 3 options I might have in front of me. 

1) Don't upgrade, really happy with what I have.
2) Upgrade to the 250Pro at the full upgrade price, (got my D250 in November last year).
3) Ask Devialet about an incentive to upgrade to 440Pro.

Like many, I sucking in every word those that have made the move and are most appreciatively, submitting their experiences, has been my main feeder to hopefully make a decision in the near future. 

1) I do not need to upgrade and would be totally happy to stay with what I have. It is matched with speakers that are fast, clear and non-fatiguing. I feel going this route potentially lowers my future system value. Bigger question is what I am missing in not doing the upgrade. My 92db speakers are at best, driven to -12 to -14 when a party is in full swing, windows rattling, dance floor filled,normally like now, -27.5 listening to Radio Paradise as I write this query.

2) I can afford the upgrade, it was not planned for, but doable. No risk to keeping at least some value to the 250Pro as the 220 delivers almost the same WATTS but with out the wonderfully extra weight of the volume control and design of the 250 chassis.

3) Take the dive and upgrade for-ever, go with the 440Pro. Users who have upgraded seem unanimous that it is well worth the upgrade. I just need Devialet to respond to numerous requests for a price to upgrade if there is a route.

I am posting this quandary I am in as I wonder if any others have been in similar and have taken one route or the other. Have they been successful in negotiating a "deal" with Devialet which made the upgrade a no brainer, (going to the 440pro specifically).

Lastly, I had filled out the upgrade form to the 250Pro and then stopped while I pondered this range of options. I received an email next day, from Judith at Devialet; was there any questions about the upgrade and why did I not complete the form. I responded last Friday with exactly the same question as in item 3 above, how much to upgrade to 440Pro, do you have a program I could take advantage of.

Unfortunately, no response so far but in the meantime as I resend the request looking for some response from Devialet, thought, perhaps, submit the same query to the folks on the Chat, as I have high confidence and respect for the opinions shared on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
I don't have an answer to your situation but I think I got one for mine as I was reading yours. Strange because what I was thinking doesn't have anything to do with what you wrote specifically; it just made me think about my situation again.

When I saw the offer to buy the Od'A I looked on Audiogon what my D200 would be worth. They were selling for about US$7,000.-
I bought my D200 when the Australian dollar was quite high and now it's lower to the greenback, at US$7,000.- I would basically not loose much on selling the D200.
Now, with the upgradability of the D120 to D220Pro status, the D200 price has dropped to US$5,000.- on Audiogon. And whoever buys one for that money is crazy because for a bit more you can get a second hand D120 plus the upgrade to D220.

So what to do? There are a few questions to answer.

1. The first one is easy and answered already; I want to keep my D200 until after the Od'A upgrade to Pro status so I won't be without an amp. So I'm not going to sell yet.

2. If I upgrade, would I be able to sell my D220 and make up for the upgrade cost? In my mind that depends on whether or not Devialet will keep their 'promise' that the upgrade window really is until the end of this year.

If they keep the window open, the cheapest way to get a D220Pro is to buy a second hand D120 and upgrade. But then I still have the option to have a look at the market and upgrade later IF it looks like a D220Pro will fetch a bit more money.

If they close the window, the D200 will again be just a D200 and it can't be changed. The 'threat' of the D120 plus upgrade will be gone. That could (Would? Should?) increase the second hand value because to get a D220Pro will cost much more. How much more I can't tell, because in Australia there are no prices set yet. Sad And THAT is the unknown at this moment.
And then there's the question of how good the D130Pro will be. If it is really good, that again will devalue the D200.

So the answer to all these questions made me decide not to upgrade and sell some time next year as a D200. Or maybe upgrade anyway and keep it for the toilet. How cool would that be? Swing it out! Literally! Big Grin

Sorry I hijacked your thread Boba. And thanks for 'helping' me with my problem.

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Oct-2016, 02:31)boba2013 Wrote: Unfortunately, no response so far but in the meantime as I resend the request looking for some response from Devialet, thought, perhaps, submit the same query to the folks on the Chat, as I have high confidence and respect for the opinions shared on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Bob

I waited days for my first reply Email from Devialet, only to find that Devialet do not respond by Email
You have to click the link in the Email you received from Judith and it opens a new page in your web browser
"Devialet Help Centre" thats where they reply, if you do not have a user name and password for the Help Centre you have to sign in.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

Hi Pim, glad you shared your thought process to address the upgrade, (and to what) or not opportunity in front of us. Good luck.

Hi Brian, thanks for the guidance. Judith had provided her email and a phone number. I have tried her email address in email so will try to see if I can get to her via the link Help Centre. I may need to be logged in to have the click work on her email, (goes to a blank web screen with out being logged in).

She also provide a phone number so if all fails, will try that route.

Cheers

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
Hi Bob:
Yes, you need to login to get any updates for the case regarding Pro update. If you go to help.devialet.com, you can request the password for the email you used to contact Devialet.

If I was in your shoes, I would go with option #2. I think 250pro would retain its value a little better. I have seen quite a lot of 200, 120 in the used market. Not many 250s. I think its better to ask Devialet for an incentive to upgrade to 250pro vs 440pro. Given that you have missed the window by couple of months, they might be considerate to your situation.

The list price for 1000pro is 35k USD. With 250pro, you are halfway there. Plus the 250pro case gives a bit of wiggle room for Devialet to increase its power in the future.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
I totally missed the link they send you for your ticket number and link. 

With this forum's guidance, I clicked, signed in low and behold, the Devialet email system! Found out that each of my emails to them had been responded to quickly and efficiently. Actually emailed a compliment on the responders responsiveness.

There is no way to upgrade from a D250 to a D440Pro so that option is off the table.

Sebastien at Devialet suggested the following which introduced a replacement consideration.
  • Thanks for your email. That choice is really personnal. both options will fit a different needs.
    • If you select the option to upgrade to a 250 Pro, you will get access to the streaming board which will bring you additional streaming possibility somewhere around mid-2017. If this is the way you are consumming music, it will be a very important step forward.
    • If you select to add second D250, your system will move to a DUAL Mono setup, with all additional connectivity this might add in your system, the drop to the strict minimum in terms of distortion. Two D 250 will be set as a D 800. Currently some second hand D250 are available on market for customer/dealer who are looking to move with a brand new unit on the Pro range, a short visit on hifi forum in the web or any second hand portal could give you a complete view on the price.
    Because this is a very personal choice, my best suggestion will be for you to make a visit to your closest dealer in order to hear a D800 or a D250 Pro, immediate decision will probably to move to a D800 but keep in mind option you will have with the streaming board.My tips, if you have no interest on wireless streaming with your amp, or if Devialet Air is currently fitting your needs, a second unit D250 is a great move and probably the best option.
So, I am still faced with 3 options: 

1) Don't upgrade
2) Upgrade to 250 Pro
3) Add second D250 for D800 , ( I already have streaming delivered via LINN Streamer).

Hmmm, time to go listen to a 250Pro and hopefully a D800 if possible.

Cheers

Bob