Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1000 Pro Review
http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...amplifiers
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Interesting that he had a hard time initially telling the difference between a 200 and the 1000 Pro on the Magicos.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(01-Nov-2016, 02:08)Dr Tone Wrote: Interesting that he had a hard time initially telling the difference between a 200 and the 1000 Pro on the Magicos.

Jeff Fritz has an enormous power supply to his listening 'vault' so maybe the improvements in the Pro series are mostly because of the improved power supplies. So when your power at home is a bit dirty you'll hear a much bigger improvement than in Jeff's case.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Source Apple MacBook Air into USB of the Devialet...he hasn't heard half of what the Devialet or his Soulution stuff is capable of. Next!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Why not use it with AIR3 when Devialet have that and do the test as a whole Devialet chain.

"Its inputs include Devialet Air (wireless), USB, Ethernet, TosLink optical, AES/EBU on XLR, and two sets of RCA connectors that can be configured for digital or analog input, including a phono option for your turntable"

I asume he knows that AIR is both via wifi and ethernet?

I usually likes his tests but sometimes there are somethings that bugs me and the focus on really expensive stuff is obvious. Today it feels like if it is really expensive it must be the best there is, I like to call this the "China effect" as it cant be expensive enough to sell there.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I sent an email to Jeff asking whether he has thought of trying a different source and if he used SAM or not. I've sent him an email in the past and he replies much quicker than Devialet Wink
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
The review sounds pretty positive to me. I'm inclined to agree that with certain source material it isn't necessarily straightforward to tell the difference between different models and mono/stereo in the Devialet range, provided basics such as the speakers are being driven adequately in each case (Magico  Q7 mkII, hrrrm).  This is a particular problem for me as I tend to like a lot of not-necessarily well-recorded music. Sure with fantastic quality recordings the difference with a 1000Pro and 200 should be pretty obvious.
(01-Nov-2016, 09:29)octaviars Wrote: <cut>
I asume he knows that AIR is both via wifi and ethernet?
<cut>

Clearly not! Wink

But it's far from the only error he's made, just one other example; Devialet states a 50% increase of power supply decoupling for the class D module which he has translated to "the power supply of the class-D amp has been enlarged by 50%" ...totally clueless! Big Grin Not that facts/trivia like these are really interesting for most but if you don't understand what you're writing about then don't write about it if you pretend to be a professional writer.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Nov-2016, 10:39)Rufus McDufus Wrote: The review sounds pretty positive to me. I'm inclined to agree that with certain source material it isn't necessarily straightforward to tell the difference between different models and mono/stereo in the Devialet range, provided basics such as the speakers are being driven adequately in each case (Magico  Q7 mkII, hrrrm).  This is a particular problem for me as I tend to like a lot of not-necessarily well-recorded music. Sure with fantastic quality recordings the difference with a 1000Pro and 200 should be pretty obvious.

I thought the same on all counts. I often wonder if my facts could do with a bit more power even though they're efficient I just sense something might be lacking there. Still I've got nothing more powerful to compare but was also surprised the 200 was good enough for him.

More surprising was Devialet sending him a 200 to compare to a 1000Pro. Why not send an 800?  Is the difference really that subtle that they need to compare it against a lowly stereo model?

Another key question is, he was clearly in direct contact with Devialet tech suppprt (I'm sure all reviewers get well treated in that respect - from any brand) so if USB really is the weakest input, why don't they suggest reviewing with AIR, or AES? I guess possible answers are; they don't agree USB is weak, they don't trust AIR enough, or a combo of both. It did say he used the Oppo too but I didn't catch what was played from it.

So a positive review, but anyone with a 200 reading it wouldn't exactly rush out and panic buy a 1000pro - at least not for the types of music we listen to. Maybe he's more honest, or should I say just less 'excitable' in his writing style than some (which would be a refreshing change tbh - if you read anything on CA by individuals or staff you get the impression angels float down from heaven at every cable change).

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(01-Nov-2016, 14:23)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(01-Nov-2016, 10:39)Rufus McDufus Wrote: The review sounds pretty positive to me. I'm inclined to agree that with certain source material it isn't necessarily straightforward to tell the difference between different models and mono/stereo in the Devialet range, provided basics such as the speakers are being driven adequately in each case (Magico  Q7 mkII, hrrrm).  This is a particular problem for me as I tend to like a lot of not-necessarily well-recorded music. Sure with fantastic quality recordings the difference with a 1000Pro and 200 should be pretty obvious.

I thought the same on all counts. I often wonder if my facts could do with a bit more power even though they're efficient I just sense something might be lacking there. Still I've got nothing more powerful to compare but was also surprised the 200 was good enough for him.

More surprising was Devialet sending him a 200 to compare to a 1000Pro. Why not send an 800?  Is the difference really that subtle that they need to compare it against a lowly stereo model?

Another key question is, he was clearly in direct contact with Devialet tech suppprt (I'm sure all reviewers get well treated in that respect - from any brand) so if USB really is the weakest input, why don't they suggest reviewing with AIR, or AES? I guess possible answers are; they don't agree USB is weak, they don't trust AIR enough, or a combo of both. It did say he used the Oppo too but I didn't catch what was played from it.

So a positive review, but anyone with a 200 reading it wouldn't exactly rush out and panic buy a 1000pro - at least not for the types of music we listen to. Maybe he's more honest, or should I say just less 'excitable' in his writing style than some (which would be a refreshing change tbh - if you read anything on CA by individuals or staff you get the impression angels float down from heaven at every cable change).

The Magico Q7 mk2 speakers are extremely sensitive at 94db and have a fairly flat impedance with no severe dips (unlike my Sasha 2!), so from that alone one could deduce that they don't need huge amounts of power to perform well. Possibly the 120 is all you need!

The input issue is a funny one really. You have Devialet using USB themselves at shows so one could be forgiven for thinking that Devialet don't think it really matters. In fact I am fairly confident about that. At one point they did seem to recommend the AES input a lot but that was a while ago now. It's a shame that they don't make more of AIR 3 but perhaps the occasional dropout doesn't make for great editorial copy and it's just safer to recommend USB...

As to the differences between the 200 and the 1000 PRO like many on here I would have expected a much bigger reported jump in performance. Certainly in my experience going from 800 to O d'A was pretty profound, from a musicality and enjoyment perspective. But it's interesting that Jeff is reporting on this from an outsider's perspective and his reference is the Soulution. Perhaps when you are outside looking in it just doesn't seem such a big deal going from 200 to 400 etc, it's still the same Devialet house sound.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK