Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1000 Pro Review
A very strange article this one.  I have to agree with Rufus that if you read this carefully, it is a positive review.  However, some of it does come across a little bit like 'damning with faint praise', here Guillaume makes a good point in the previous post.

Then you get to this:

'Now I think I’ll add threatening to disruptive when describing Devialet. I know audiophiles, and dealers, and manufacturers who run down Devialet every chance they get. The brand upsets things in a way that threatens the business model they’ve based their businesses on -- or, in the case of the rich audiophile, Devialet undermines their justifications for spending $500,000 on that super system. The Expert 1000 Pro can compete with anything at any price, and it does so with style and without overwhelming a listening room with tons of gear.'

Now that is a very long way removed from damning with faint praise!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The speakers definitely played a part in this one.

Not sure why the input used is such an issue to some. As long as he used the same input on both amps is all that matters. His computer driving the amps might be well be optimized with battery power etc etc. Calling him out for not using AIR is silly.

What I deduce from the review is: If your speakers are easy to drive upgrading might not be that big of a change. If you listen to red book or less mostly, upgrading might not be that big of a change. Some of the upgrade user reviews on this site after being away from their amps for 2+ weeks, might just contain a little expectation bias. Ducking for cover on that last comment.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(01-Nov-2016, 16:28)Dr Tone Wrote: The speakers definitely played a part in this one.

Not sure why the input used is such an issue to some.  As long as he used the same input on both amps is all that matters.  His computer driving the amps might be well optimized with battery power etc etc.  Calling him out for not using AIR is silly.

What I deduce from the review is:  If your speakers are easy to drive upgrading might not be that big of a change.  If you listen to red book or less mostly, upgrading might not be that big of a change.  Some of the upgrade user reviews on this site after being away from their amps for 3+ weeks might just contain a little expectation bias.  Ducking for cover on that last comment.

Well whilst you are ducking for cover Dr Tone sir .......   Shy

Have you had a chance to listen to a Pro yet?   My view is that the extra detail, resolution and shear realism that the Pro offers should shine through nicely on easy to drive speakers.  It was this logic that lead to my theory that for the easy to drive speakers, a Pro upgrade would offer better sound quality that going dual mono Expert.  This is based on listening to a D800 and 1000 Pro back to back, quite simply the delta improvement offered by 1000 Pro was far grater than the jump from D250 to D800.

EDIT: I thought I would add a few words in defence of the poor expectation biased riddled recent upgraders...... Recently I have been quite struck by a some of the posts made by the said recent upgraders with respect to the Pro sound quality, particularly from some upgraders to 440 Pro. The reason being that the descriptions posted reminded me very much of the 1000 Pro vs D800 audition I had a while back, I thought these descriptions described better than I could what I heard when listening to the 1000 Pro. So two points, I think a lot of what the recent upgraders have posted is based on very real sound quality improvements. The other thought is just how good is the 440 Pro? Do you really need the 1000 Pro? A 440 Pro vs 1000 Pro might make a very interesting head to head I think.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(01-Nov-2016, 16:28)Dr Tone Wrote: <cut>

Not sure why the input used is such an issue to some. As long as he used the same input on both amps is all that matters. His computer driving the amps might be well be optimized with battery power etc etc. Calling him out for not using AIR is silly.
<cut>

It's less about the input used than the source used. The people pointing this out, like I did, have experimented and built up knowledge about computer audio. A laptop is one of the worst sources one could imagine, whether it runs from battery power or not. Of course running from battery power provides additional isolation but from a noise point of view most laptops are even noisier when running on battery power as more agressive power saving schemes become active in that mode.

I think it's strange one would use a source like this especially in a very high end system like his. It's a bit like using a nanny to drive a super car around the track to compare lap times to other cars; it's unlikely you'll get the best out of it this way. You'll likely hit the limits of the driver way before those of the car being driven.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Nov-2016, 16:43)Confused Wrote:
(01-Nov-2016, 16:28)Dr Tone Wrote: The speakers definitely played a part in this one.

Not sure why the input used is such an issue to some.  As long as he used the same input on both amps is all that matters.  His computer driving the amps might be well optimized with battery power etc etc.  Calling him out for not using AIR is silly.

What I deduce from the review is:  If your speakers are easy to drive upgrading might not be that big of a change.  If you listen to red book or less mostly, upgrading might not be that big of a change.  Some of the upgrade user reviews on this site after being away from their amps for 3+ weeks might just contain a little expectation bias.  Ducking for cover on that last comment.

Well whilst you are ducking for cover Dr Tone sir .......   Shy

Have you had a chance to listen to a Pro yet?   My view is that the extra detail, resolution and shear realism that the Pro offers should shine through nicely on easy to drive speakers.  It was this logic that lead to my theory that for the easy to drive speakers, a Pro upgrade would offer better sound quality that going dual mono Expert.  This is based on listening to a D800 and 1000 Pro back to back, quite simply the delta improvement offered by 1000 Pro was far grater than the jump from D250 to D800.

No Pro's accessible to me at this time.

I want my next amp upgrade to give me major improvements at low volume levels, not a typical Devialet strong point.  If nothing does, I'll stay with what I have.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(01-Nov-2016, 17:29)Antoine Wrote: It's less about the input used than the source used. The people pointing this out, like I did, have experimented and built up knowledge about computer audio. A laptop is one of the worst sources one could imagine, whether it runs from battery power or not. Of course running from battery power provides additional isolation but from a noise point of view most laptops are even noisier when running on battery power as more agressive power saving schemes become active in that mode.

Who's talking about a laptop? Is that what he uses?

(01-Nov-2016, 17:37)Dr Tone Wrote:
(01-Nov-2016, 17:29)Antoine Wrote: It's less about the input used than the source used. The people pointing this out, like I did, have experimented and built up knowledge about computer audio. A laptop is one of the worst sources one could imagine, whether it runs from battery power or not. Of course running from battery power provides additional isolation but from a noise point of view most laptops are even noisier when running on battery power as more agressive power saving schemes become active in that mode.

Who's talking about a laptop?

I did and it's the source he's been using for this review, an 'Apple MacBook Air'.

To clarify the used source IME experience is very important when using USB. More so than when using AIR.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Nov-2016, 17:40)Antoine Wrote:
(01-Nov-2016, 17:37)Dr Tone Wrote:

Who's talking about a laptop?

I did and it's the source he's been using for this review, an 'Apple MacBook Air'.

To clarify the used source IME experience is very important when using USB. More so than when using AIR.

AIR has come a long way, I use it 100% again but I don't know if I would trust it for public facing professional reviews just yet.  I also thought there were still some minor issues in the Mac version?

(01-Nov-2016, 17:54)Dr Tone Wrote: AIR has come a long way, I use it 100% again but I don't know if I would trust it for public facing professional reviews just yet.  I also thought there were still some minor issues in the Mac version?

Certainly there is for some (me). Seems like they're going the right direction at least though.

Antoine, I just love that analogy! Smile. I'm going to try and find places to use it daily!

[edit] thinking about it, it's not great journalism is it really? AIR is pitched by Devialet as a unique high-end computer transport solution, the latest version of which is apparently sounding great, but with a long and quite fraught history visible online, yet it doesn't get a mention let alone used. I suppose hifi reviews aren't really meant to be journalism, but still..

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(01-Nov-2016, 02:08)Dr Tone Wrote: Interesting that he had a hard time initially telling the difference between a 200 and the 1000 Pro on the Magicos.

You are right...this is interesting because this Man is one of very few who dare to publish HIS TRUE opinions. He was always a Real Supporter of Devialet's products and one of first to inform that these are High-End products. 

PS:

IMO...200 is just THE best Devialet product EVER regarding cost/performance ratio. 250 was better in SQ but price was very very High. And now with these new highend prices for PRO products from Devialet are not so interesting. But buying ex-demo 200 for 5000 Euro is still a good offer.