Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos
I realise there are better options from the Aeries Mini upwards, but assuming the limitation to cd lossless as maximum transmission what is the best connection from sonos to Expert? There is no USB out so I assume Ethernet won't work as an endpoint and it will have to be a short optical cable? Obviously I want to ensure I am using the Expert DaC. 

I have some sonos speakers in other rooms so to make it as family friendly as possible it probably makes sense to keep all streaming through the sonos environment. It an easy way to have Tidl, Quboz a well as Apple Music.
Yes, optical (TOSLINK) or co-ax (S/PDIF) are the options for a digital connection to the Devialet. I've not heard any noticeable difference in sound quality between them.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Optical works fine and I use it as a family friendly solution. It doesn't quite match AIR but the difference is only important to me in my household!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
I also use the optical output of the Sonos. I think it might give slightly better results because of the electrical isolation.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(02-Nov-2016, 09:22)Woodman Wrote: I realise there are better options from the Aeries Mini upwards, but assuming the limitation to cd lossless as maximum transmission what is the best connection from sonos to Expert? There is no USB out so I assume Ethernet won't work as an endpoint and it will have to be a short optical cable? Obviously I want to ensure I am using the Expert DaC. 

I have some sonos speakers in other rooms so to make it as family friendly as possible it probably makes sense to keep all streaming through the sonos environment. It an easy way to have Tidl, Quboz a well as Apple Music.

A couple of years ago I've organised a shootout on a Dutch Forum with my Devialet between the Sonos Connect and various modifications of the Connect (Magna Ultimo mod from NL and the mod from Dr. Gert Volker from Germany). Our conclusion was that the Magna Ultimo mod sounded best. 

We also concluded that the coax s/pdif sounded slighly better then the toslink connection. Also on the unmodified Connect.

Modifying the Connect really takes the Connect to a much higher level was the most important conclusion. It's worth every penny.

The link to the Dutch Forum and the shootout: http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?t...msg2450837

The link to Magna Hifi: http://www.magnahifi.com/index.php/websh...gory/sonos
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
I use an optical cable from the Connect to the D120, but I think that I may also look to an upgrade on the Connect as well. I find the interface frustrating, but I like that Sonos has the widest range of streaming source options, and I absolutely need the second speaker facility that the Connect and Amp give me... I mean, us.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(02-Nov-2016, 17:42)Charlemagne Wrote:
(02-Nov-2016, 09:22)Woodman Wrote: I realise there are better options from the Aeries Mini upwards, but assuming the limitation to cd lossless as maximum transmission what is the best connection from sonos to Expert? There is no USB out so I assume Ethernet won't work as an endpoint and it will have to be a short optical cable? Obviously I want to ensure I am using the Expert DaC. 

A couple of years ago I've organised a shootout on a Dutch Forum with my Devialet between the Sonos Connect and various modifications of the Connect (Magna Ultimo mod from NL and the mod from Dr. Gert Volker from Germany). Our conclusion was that the Magna Ultimo mod sounded best. 

We also concluded that the coax s/pdif sounded slighly better then the toslink connection. Also on the unmodified Connect.

Modifying the Connect really takes the Connect to a much higher level was the most important conclusion. It's worth every penny.

The link to the Dutch Forum and the shootout: http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?t...msg2450837

The link to Magna Hifi: http://www.magnahifi.com/index.php/websh...gory/sonos

The Magna hifi option is not very cheap compared to the original price of the Sonos connect. For this you also have a bluesound for example, how does the Magna compares to that?
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
@Bartype: in the same shootout we also have tested the Bluesound Node 1. The Sonos Connect with Magna Ultimo mod was way better. The Node 2 wasn't on the market yet by that time.

Unmodified the Connect lost against the Bluesound Node 1, but not with a big margin.

There is a new German modifier called Cinemike. I've heard they are planning to modify the Sonos Connect as well. On the Dutch HTForum there are plans to organize a new shootout with modified and unmodified budget streamers.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
I did mean the BS 2 indeed... :-)
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components