Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help a new user...
Hi everyone

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit naive here, but this is my first move to Expert. I have a couple of Silver Phantoms which I love, and I've sold my full Naim set up to move to a (very good deal on a) 120.

I was expecting to be able to stream directly from my Melco upnp hard drive into the 120 and control which music played via a control on the 120, or an app (iPhone, iPad etc). 

Have I been completely stupid? Given I don't own a CD player anymore (I used an Naim NDX), I can't quite work out how I actually get my 120 to play anything!!!

Please help!
Thanks
Steve
(03-Nov-2016, 21:57)sjw98 Wrote: Hi everyone

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit naive here, but this is my first move to Expert. I have a couple of Silver Phantoms which I love, and I've sold my full Naim set up to move to a (very good deal on a) 120.

I was expecting to be able to stream directly from my Melco upnp hard drive into the 120 and control which music played via a control on the 120, or an app (iPhone, iPad etc). 

Have I been completely stupid? Given I don't own a CD player anymore (I used an Naim NDX), I can't quite work out how I actually get my 120 to play anything!!!

Please help!
Thanks
Steve

Only way to stream to a Devialet expert's network connection is via their Air driver.  The Air driver needs to be installed on a PC or Mac.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

To expand a bit on Dr Tone's accurate but rather concise reply...

Once you install AIR on your Mac or PC, it gives you a "virtual sound card" that will play audio generated on the computer out on your 120.  Despite its name AIR works via either a wireless or wired connection.  You'll need to use Devialet's on-line configurator to set up your 120 to enable the Ethernet and/or wireless interface, and then get it connected to your network.  Once that's done and AIR is running on your computer, it should automatically detect that the 120 is present, and you should then be able to "connect" it by selecting the 120 in the AIR application menu.  The 120 then behaves pretty much like any other audio output device.

So for example: if your Melco is mounted as a drive and you have a music player app on the computer, the player's output can be routed to AIR and will then play on the 120.  Same thing if you use a streaming service (Qobuz, TIDAL, etc.).

Alternatively you could connect your Melco directly to the 120 via USB, in which case you don't need the computer and AIR, just a control point for the Melco.

I hope that helps a bit.  If you have any trouble getting AIR running, come back here because surely someone will be able to help.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
OK - thanks both. I have now got AIR to work, but I don't want to have to use my computer. I certainly won't be able to "sell" the idea to my wife unless I can get something working on iPhone etc.

I have now connected Melco to the Deviate via USB, but I'm not sure what the appropriate control point might be.

Any good suggestions?
I use the Melco and use it connected via USB as described above.
Then you jut need an app to control the music playback
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Use the lumin or Kinsky app. Lumin the better if the two
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
You can of course stream from your phone to the 120. Load the app, press the "source" area, and near the end of the list you will see the option.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I simply connected a small Linux server with Mopidy to the Toslink. You can also use MPD if you are only interested in streaming files from a NAS. The programs are very much alike, extremely stable, Open Source (so free of licensing costs) and there are many clients (web/android/iphone/console) you can use to control them.

A small extra investment of < $100 (even < $50 if you are smart about it) and it works perfectly...
2 Phantom Gold's + Dialog. Sony Bravia TV + Mopidy server (Mac Mini playing from a network connected 4bay QNAP NAS) + Minix Neo U1 + Lindy A/D convertor connected through a Lindy 4x1 Optical switch.