Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Upgrade direct or through dealer
I'm considering upgrading my 120 to a 220pro.  Curious if people have thoughts on using a local dealer (in NYC) or going directly through "Judith".  What are the pros/cons?

Thanks!
Devialet 120, Kef LS50
It is a question I'm considering as well. I haven't yet decided on the upgrade (as I prefer to waffle about for months before deciding) but it appears to me that in Canada is it about $700.00 less expensive to upgrade through Devialet directly. There is some vagueness still about the cost as the upgrade cost is given in Euro for Canadian customers. I'm fine with Euros, but it means that we have a bit of uncertainty regarding the exchange rate used, and the premium of about 2.5% that credit cards charge on foreign currencies.

Otherwise I can't see any advantage or disadvantage to either method.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
My dealer doesn't seem to be involved in the process to say the least.
He is used to sending me an email everytime he thinks I might be interested by a new product...
But here zilch : no email. At first it made me wonder about the quality of the upgrade itself. After reading in this forum the first unanimous positive reports, I came to the conclusion that the upgrade path provided no extra money to the dealer who might have taken exception to this "Schutzpah" ! If I am wrong please move my post to the sci-fi thread section.
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
Bruno,

I'm rarely a good source of information about this sort of thing, but I don't think the dealers make anything by handling the upgrades. If they did, I'd certainly prefer to go that route. If they don't make anything then I would not take advantage of their time or resources in handling the product or paperwork.

My impression is that the upgrade has been set up as a direct-to-Devialet process, but certainly some dealers are wiling and happy to be involved.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
My understanding is that dealers do potentially make a small amount, even if you upgrade direct, if you fill the web form in the correct way, or something.

I would simply talk to your dealer and ask them what the options are if you involve them. A good dealer should understand if you have a much better direct deal and decide to go with that.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
FWIW, I am in US. I do have a dealer. No difference in price between going through dealer or direct to Devialet.

I went direct but my dealer has been very helpful in the process.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I have upgraded with my dealer. He has done nothing, only the shipping process was managed over him. He told me that he will get some points at the end of the year, but no direct financial participation. There was no real delay managing the shipping process in this way.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
I have gone through my dealer - simply to save me the hassle!  I travel a lot so I don't have to worry whether I will be at home during either the collection or delivery phase.  I really appreciated the fact that my dealer was happy to do this.   It certainly builds customer relationships.
(04-Nov-2016, 14:21)vipnyc Wrote: I'm considering upgrading my 120 to a 220pro.  Curious if people have thoughts on using a local dealer (in NYC) or going directly through "Judith".  What are the pros/cons?

Thanks!

I asked my dealer if there was any benefit to him if I let him process the upgrade. "A little" was his response, so I am doing the upgrade via my dealer as the price I pay is the same. This may vary from country to country though so I guess it is best to check first.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
From what Ive been told, there is some credit that is passed on to the dealer when upgrade
even if you deal directly with devialet, there is a dealer code which you can insert, which helps them to track credits
direct dealer upgrades are supposed to begin in january, for now the dealers are supposed to be assisting customers with the online upgrades
this is still all academic for us in south africa, although we've received invitations to upgrade on 18 october, oue online store is still not up and running