Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pro - Non sound quality observations
I finally received my nice new 1000 Pro yesterday.  For a while now I have been planning to make a few changes to my rack and to how everything is wired up.  So getting new amps provided a fine opportunity to get this done.  I mentioned this to Oxford Audio's Alasdair yesterday, making it fairly clear that I was not looking forward to this task.  Alasdair disagreed, stating that such tasks were fun, 'it's like grown up Lego' where his exact words I think.  OK, everything is done now, lovely!  Was it fun like grown up Lego?  Nope, a mixture of hassle pain frustration and mental torture, not I how remember Lego.  My rack is modular and I have quite a selection of the different rods that provide the shelf spacing.  Task 1 was to completely dismantle the rack, clean everything up and rebuild with shelf spacings revised to best suit my current set up.  This was straightforward, just very dull and time consuming work.  This task did have one highlight. With all the kit removed from the rack but all cables still in place, the mixture of many power, hifi and Ethernet cables, running neatly (ish) through a central cable tidy did look incredibly organic.  It looked like a complete cardiovascular system, centred around the 'heart', which is where Devialet master was located.  I really wish now that I had taken a picture of it, but I didn't.  So next task was the 'rebuild'.  This of course offered the first real bit of fun of the day, unboxing the new amps.

It's now I get to my first 'New Pro - Non sound quality observations'.  Firstly they are heavy, noticeably heftier than the Expert.  In the box you can lift and carry around the 'old' expert without thinking about it, the Pro is just that bit heavier and although still reasonably easy to handle, you do start to really think about the weight of the things.  A second observation is that I am convinced that the chrome finish is significantly darker.  Oddly enough I did not notice this when I auditioned the 1000 Pro in a rack next to a D800, so I might be kidding myself here, but I don't think so.....    Either way I am not too bothered because different or now, the finish looks superb. 

So to the system rebuilding.  Previously I had the curious situation of having a CD player at the top of the rack that was not actually connected to anything!  With my old D240, the CD was indeed connected digitally as you would expect, but going dual mono with the Audioprana S/PDIF to AES/EBU link cable, I lost one input and so the not used very often CD remained on the rack but could not actually be used.  My plan was to use the Toslink input to the Mutec MC3+USB to provide an additional input.  The even more cunning part of this plan was to also use my wyred 4 sound remedy reclocker before the Mutec.  The W4S has switchable Coax and Toslink inputs, so I now have a Blu-Ray player digital out, to the W4S, then to the Mutec, in addition, I have Toslink from my TV to W4S to Mutec.  So this gives me a double reclocked TV and frees up two Devialet inputs, the long neglected CD player has regained its digital input, plus I now have one optical input spare.   So far so good, everything done and working as it should.  By this time it was about 11:30pm, I fired up the PC to do a quick trial play of something via the microRendu and Mutec.  Here I hit a problem, the PC could not find the mR on the network.  No mR meant no playing tunes via the Mutec.  I started double checking all the Ethernet connects, checking the mR was getting power.  Tried powering down the mR, rebooting the PC, checking many things on the PC, swapping Ethernet cables, you get the idea.  At times like this you start thinking all sorts of things, for example my PC did quite a major Windows update on Friday, could this have messed something up somewhere?  It was now well gone midnight, so I put a quick post on Computer Audiophile re the mR issues and went to bed.  This morning, armed with a nice coffee, I checked for posts on CA, some guy from Virginia USA posted 'Make sure the micro SD card is still seated... I thought mine had died only to find I had released the card accidentally during a USB cable swap'.  I checked the mR, the SD card was indeed protruding, but by an absolute fraction, maybe 1mm, I clicked it firmly home, checked on the PC, mR was there alive and well.  I have to say that we are in an age now where we take a lot of modern technology for granted, but some idiot it the UK gets stuck plugging his hifi in, a quick post on line and some bod in the USA chips more or less saying yeah, I've done that too, here's how to fix it.  This is quite remarkable when you think about it.   I think I would have found the issue eventually, but for sure my man in America saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Anyway, the 1000 Pro is set up and appears to be working as it should.  It actually sounds pretty decent straight out of the box, although it had been plugged in and simmering nicely on standby overnight.

I shall sign off with one last 'New Pro - Non sound quality observation', the new 'electric blue' graphics in the display look excellent I think, although still invisible and utterly useless when sat on the sofa.

So what now?  I think I'll play a few tunes, why not? .....  Smile
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Wonderful read, and a worthwhile thread that I think will be nice to follow. For a bit, I felt as though I could see you in your room, surrounded by cables and boxes and equipment.... I'd give you another rep point, but at 60 already, it would just be pointless. (Was that a pun?)

Seriously, nice post; thanks for sharing your experience.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(06-Nov-2016, 14:41)Confused Wrote: I finally received my nice new 1000 Pro yesterday.  For a while now I have been planning to make a few changes to my rack and to how everything is wired up.  So getting new amps provided a fine opportunity to get this done.  I mentioned this to Oxford Audio's Alasdair yesterday, making it fairly clear that I was not looking forward to this task.  Alasdair disagreed, stating that such tasks were fun, 'it's like grown up Lego' where his exact words I think.  OK, everything is done now, lovely!  Was it fun like grown up Lego?  Nope, a mixture of hassle pain frustration and mental torture, not I how remember Lego.  My rack is modular and I have quite a selection of the different rods that provide the shelf spacing.  Task 1 was to completely dismantle the rack, clean everything up and rebuild with shelf spacings revised to best suit my current set up.  This was straightforward, just very dull and time consuming work.  This task did have one highlight. With all the kit removed from the rack but all cables still in place, the mixture of many power, hifi and Ethernet cables, running neatly (ish) through a central cable tidy did look incredibly organic.  It looked like a complete cardiovascular system, centred around the 'heart', which is where Devialet master was located.  I really wish now that I had taken a picture of it, but I didn't.  So next task was the 'rebuild'.  This of course offered the first real bit of fun of the day, unboxing the new amps.

It's now I get to my first 'New Pro - Non sound quality observations'.  Firstly they are heavy, noticeably heftier than the Expert.  In the box you can lift and carry around the 'old' expert without thinking about it, the Pro is just that bit heavier and although still reasonably easy to handle, you do start to really think about the weight of the things.  A second observation is that I am convinced that the chrome finish is significantly darker.  Oddly enough I did not notice this when I auditioned the 1000 Pro in a rack next to a D800, so I might be kidding myself here, but I don't think so.....    Either way I am not too bothered because different or now, the finish looks superb. 

So to the system rebuilding.  Previously I had the curious situation of having a CD player at the top of the rack that was not actually connected to anything!  With my old D240, the CD was indeed connected digitally as you would expect, but going dual mono with the Audioprana S/PDIF to AES/EBU link cable, I lost one input and so the not used very often CD remained on the rack but could not actually be used.  My plan was to use the Toslink input to the Mutec MC3+USB to provide an additional input.  The even more cunning part of this plan was to also use my wyred 4 sound remedy reclocker before the Mutec.  The W4S has switchable Coax and Toslink inputs, so I now have a Blu-Ray player digital out, to the W4S, then to the Mutec, in addition, I have Toslink from my TV to W4S to Mutec.  So this gives me a double reclocked TV and frees up two Devialet inputs, the long neglected CD player has regained its digital input, plus I now have one optical input spare.   So far so good, everything done and working as it should.  By this time it was about 11:30pm, I fired up the PC to do a quick trial play of something via the microRendu and Mutec.  Here I hit a problem, the PC could not find the mR on the network.  No mR meant no playing tunes via the Mutec.  I started double checking all the Ethernet connects, checking the mR was getting power.  Tried powering down the mR, rebooting the PC, checking many things on the PC, swapping Ethernet cables, you get the idea.  At times like this you start thinking all sorts of things, for example my PC did quite a major Windows update on Friday, could this have messed something up somewhere?  It was now well gone midnight, so I put a quick post on Computer Audiophile re the mR issues and went to bed.  This morning, armed with a nice coffee, I checked for posts on CA, some guy from Virginia USA posted 'Make sure the micro SD card is still seated... I thought mine had died only to find I had released the card accidentally during a USB cable swap'.  I checked the mR, the SD card was indeed protruding, but by an absolute fraction, maybe 1mm, I clicked it firmly home, checked on the PC, mR was there alive and well.  I have to say that we are in an age now where we take a lot of modern technology for granted, but some idiot it the UK gets stuck plugging his hifi in, a quick post on line and some bod in the USA chips more or less saying yeah, I've done that too, here's how to fix it.  This is quite remarkable when you think about it.   I think I would have found the issue eventually, but for sure my man in America saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Anyway, the 1000 Pro is set up and appears to be working as it should.  It actually sounds pretty decent straight out of the box, although it had been plugged in and simmering nicely on standby overnight.

I shall sign off with one last 'New Pro - Non sound quality observation', the new 'electric blue' graphics in the display look excellent I think, although still invisible and utterly useless when sat on the sofa.

a few pics would be highly appreciated ..  Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
[quote='Confused' pid='52045' dateline='1478439693']

A second observation is that I am convinced that the chrome finish is significantly darker.  Oddly enough I did not notice this when I auditioned the 1000 Pro in a rack next to a D800, so I might be kidding myself here, but I don't think so.....    Either way I am not too bothered because different or now, the finish looks superb. 

Maybe your 1000's are made from Guillaume's old Od'A cases with an extra layer of Chrome over the copper. Huh Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(06-Nov-2016, 14:41)Confused Wrote: I finally received my nice new 1000 Pro yesterday.  For a while now I have been planning to make a few changes to my rack and to how everything is wired up.  So getting new amps provided a fine opportunity to get this done.  I mentioned this to Oxford Audio's Alasdair yesterday, making it fairly clear that I was not looking forward to this task.  Alasdair disagreed, stating that such tasks were fun, 'it's like grown up Lego' where his exact words I think.  OK, everything is done now, lovely!  Was it fun like grown up Lego?  Nope, a mixture of hassle pain frustration and mental torture, not I how remember Lego.  My rack is modular and I have quite a selection of the different rods that provide the shelf spacing.  Task 1 was to completely dismantle the rack, clean everything up and rebuild with shelf spacings revised to best suit my current set up.  This was straightforward, just very dull and time consuming work.  This task did have one highlight. With all the kit removed from the rack but all cables still in place, the mixture of many power, hifi and Ethernet cables, running neatly (ish) through a central cable tidy did look incredibly organic.  It looked like a complete cardiovascular system, centred around the 'heart', which is where Devialet master was located.  I really wish now that I had taken a picture of it, but I didn't.  So next task was the 'rebuild'.  This of course offered the first real bit of fun of the day, unboxing the new amps.

I hate to say this, but I just do not understand why people put their DXXX in standard equipment racks. They begged to be wall mounted! For many reasons, I consider wall mounting to be absolutely essential with the DXXX. Considering the cost of the 1000 Pro, the Devialet Wall mount kit is a small extra charge well worth the cost. 

1) The units take up much less space ,and look very spiffy on the wall. Right away, the set up screams: look at me, I'm different, I'm unlike the 99.99999% of the boring massive rectangular blob amplifiers out there that cost $$$, and consume 1 KW, and weigh 300 pounds. 

2) The units run much much cooler on the wall! With the 1000 Pro, that becomes noticeable since they run warmer. 

3) The display works! As you said, right now, from where you sit, it's useless. So, put it up on the wall and enjoy the display again. 

4) And this is the biggest reason for me, you NEVER have to clean the darned things. My D400s on the wall attract zero dust. They look as clean as the day I put them up there, months and months ago. On the equipment stand, I had to clean them 3 times a day to get rid of the piles of dust (yes, I live in a air filtered central AC house). 

So, all you DXXX owners. Do yourselves a favor, and wall mount your amplifiers. They look sooo much nicer on the walll...
For me rack support works well. I have the opposite of a simple one box solution type system, as well as the two Devialet's I have three other power amps (in a surround system), a surround amp used as a processor, two TV PVR's, tuner, CD player, Blu-ray player, Mutec, microRendu, turntable, PSU's. (so two racks are needed for all this, one tucked in the corner of the room, one under the TV)

This is not the main issue I have with wall mounting though. The back of my room does not look as nice as the end of the room where the Devialet's are located. Also, I am myself slightly ugly. Therefore, if I hang two highly reflective Devialet's on the wall this will allow me to see both the back of my room, which is not pretty, and indeed myself, which is even uglier. So it's rack mount for me and matt finish non reflective paint on the wall.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing, with about a dozen cables connected to the Devialets, it would be a considerable amount of work to conceal the cables, but see above for the key issues.....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(06-Nov-2016, 14:41)Confused Wrote: I finally received my nice new 1000 Pro yesterday. 

From your previous comment I'd guessed the day exactly. Very pleased for you after a long wait. Am sure you're having a lot of fun!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Congrats on finally receiving the 1000 Pro Confused! Enjoy! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Confused is everything (except vinyl) routed through the Mutec3+ USB? Did you test your CD-player via that route?
(08-Nov-2016, 02:32)Music or sound Wrote: Confused is everything (except vinyl) routed through the Mutec3+ USB? Did you test your CD-player via that route?

No, the CD is connected direct to the Devialet.  Having said that, you have successfully predicated my thoughts and future plans.  The Mutec is a little limited in terms of connectivity.  It has a USB input, an optical Toslink input, and an S/PDIF input with a BNC type connector.  Currently my TV is running through the W4S reclocker via optical, to Mutec via optical.  The Blu-Ray player is a transport only (no DAC) and very unusually will output hi res PCM at 24/88.2 playing SACD, this is now fed S/PDIF to the W4S reclocker, then to the Mutec.  I could have used this connection route for the CD player, but my logic was that the CD player gets used less than the Blu-Ray player.  It is a case of CD's being ripped / streamed, and the only time the CD player gets used is maybe to play something recently purchased or maybe a CD loaned by someone.  However, the spare BNC S/PDIF input on the Mutec remains.  I need to double check this, but I'm thinking that all I need is a RCA to BNC S/PDIF cable (or adaptor), and the CD player can be connected direct to the Mutec.  This might be interesting, I recall Guillaume posting some information a while back about the superiority of CD players versus streaming.  So having the CD player via the Mutec would allow a direct head to head test with the microRendu.  This might be interesting!   In the short term I am not planning to A/B test anything, the amp is brand new, so I plan just to enjoy the thing for a few weeks whilst the electronics settle down, and more importantly, my ears and brain get used to it.  Lots of potential here for future fun and experimenting!