Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Length of Loudspeaker Cables
(10-Nov-2016, 11:29)Pim van Vliet Wrote: This is an interesting experiment you're doing that I haven't been able to due to a space issue:

Jim Smith in his 'Get Better Sound' book says you should avoid putting your equipment rack in between the speakers if you can. He even states that putting the equipment somewhere on a side wall will increase the sound quality by such a degree that using lamp cord for speaker cable and the equipment on the side wall sounds better than having the rack in between the speakers and using high end speaker cable.

My system is set up with the electronics on a side wall, although more for the sake of keeping domestic harmony that any thing else...  Having said that, I'm very happy with the result.

I wonder whether there also might be an element of psychology associated with this: I for one enjoy listening to the music without seeing a big stack of electronic gear slap bang in the middle of my field of view.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The main reason for this is indeed like Guillaume stated. Stuff in between the loudspeakers interferes with the stereo imaging because of reflections and all related issues these cause. Ones loudspeakers should be setup as free standing and symmetrically as possible. Nothing close around them anywhere in a 360 degrees circle would be best.

I too need to have something in between them because of room and space considerations so I compromised however I did use a lowboard (which isn't high as the name suggests) and positioned my flatscreen TV as much back to the backwalls as possible.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands